Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting an AR10/LR308 for some time. Decided to go for a 6.5 Creedmoor while I was at it. Two birds, one stone.

A couple of months ago I found a guy selling some Aero Precision M5 handguards. Not sure why he decided to go with something else, but the price was very reasonable. He told me that I would have to use an Aero Precision M5E1 upper receiver with it.

So a couple of days ago I ordered the upper receiver and a stripped M5 lower to mate up with it. Two different online businesses. Friday they both got delivered. One to my house and the other to an FFL.

Today I got most of the LPK that I needed. Still need to get a Geissele SSA-E ordered. Aero Precision takedown/pivot pins are on the way (a tad bit longer than other brands). I had a magazine release button from Forward Control Design (horizontal lines) that was taking up space in my parts bin. Had ordered the “Paddle” bolt catch and the Switch Extended AR Safety/Selector as an upgrade to the Luth-AR builders kit.

So this is what I have done since yesterday.

All I need left will only require more money!
Air gun Wood Trigger Grass Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Airsoft gun

Camera accessory Camera lens Finger Gas Wood

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gas Gun accessory

View attachment 75836

·
Premium Member
36,643 Posts
Today I got most of the LPK that I needed. Still need to get a Geissele SSA-E ordered.
Being a cheap SOB, I’d save over a hundred bucks, and go with a Timney Impact cartridge style, or a LaRue traditional trigger. I just don’t see Geissele offering double the trigger over those two, no matter how big their name is.

I have both of the ones I mentioned, several of the LaRue in fact. Excellent triggers.

Which barrel are you thinking about? I went 18” heavy, as I was less about the 1000 meter ideas, and more about solid 600+. And it’s HEAVY.

Reactions: Spooky1i

·
Super Moderator
25,805 Posts
Being a cheap SOB, I’d save over a hundred bucks, and go with a Timney Impact cartridge style, or a LaRue traditional trigger. I just don’t see Geissele offering double the trigger over those two, no matter how big their name is.

I have both of the ones I mentioned, several of the LaRue in fact. Excellent triggers.

Which barrel are you thinking about? I went 18” heavy, as I was less about the 1000 meter ideas, and more about solid 600+. And it’s HEAVY.
You could beat an elephant to death with my 24" HBAR and still shoot MOA at 600y...lol

• Haha
Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can get Geissele triggers for $203 a piece. The barrel will either be a Ballistic Advantage or Criterion 22”. $2 price difference.

·
Super Moderator
25,805 Posts
I love my BA 24" .308win. I mean you could use it for batting practice, but it's super consistent. Came with their money back MOA guarantee.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,169 Posts
I can get Geissele triggers for $203 a piece. The barrel will either be a Ballistic Advantage or Criterion 22”. $2 price difference.
I've used ballistic advantage for anything I want for a tack driver. As for a service type rifle I have been using BCA pencil barrels. Nice and light and accurate enough for government work.

Geissele triggers are nice - I have an SSP flat that I got as a blem... great trigger, but I agree with Ajole. Timney and especially Larue (MBT) make damn good ones also without the crazy pricetag. I am more of a Larue but I do have a Timney for an AR and a timney in one of my Glocks. Now once again in my service type rifles I mostly have polished Mil-spec/NB Anderson ones. I do own quite a few Rise Armement triggers that I get when they are on sale. They are damn nice drop in's especially when you can get them for $70-$80 each on sale.

Your build though, put in it what you want to put in it and remember:

1. This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

2. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

3. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying
to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will …

4. My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit….

5. My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will ….

6. Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

7. So be it, until victory is America’s and there is no enemy, but peace!!

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your build though, put in it what you want to put in it and remember:

1. This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

2. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

3. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying
to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will …

4. My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit….

5. My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will ….

6. Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

7. So be it, until victory is America’s and there is no enemy, but peace!!
Semper Fi!

·
Premium Member
36,643 Posts
Sure. But the point was the Timney is about $135, and the LaRue is about $100….which is less than half the price of the Geissele.

22” should get most of what the 6.5 has to offer.👍

Reactions: Visper

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here’s the difference between a normal 308 pivot pin and the Aero Precision.
Hand Calipers Gesture Finger Gadget

Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Wrist

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I received a new A2 stock from CDNN Sports and this is how it arrived.
Grey Wood Gadget Material property Tints and shades

Product Rectangle Material property Font Gadget

Audio equipment Gas Electronic device Auto part Cylinder

• Sad
Reactions: adam01364

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stock looks good installed.
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

After talking with their shipping department, they emailed me a return shipping label.

Reactions: adam01364

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m so partial to retro rifles that I swapped out the A2 forward assist with a teardrop version.
Military camouflage Trigger Air gun Camouflage Gun barrel

Bumper Automotive exterior Gadget Automotive design Auto part

·
Super Moderator
9,917 Posts
I need to build mine. I have everything I need to build it except for the lower receiver. All AR Stoner parts.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The only roll pin that I will need to use is for the gas tube. Aero uses threaded pins in 3 locations: bolt catch, forward assist and takedown pin spring channel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sure. But the point was the Timney is about $135, and the LaRue is about $100….which is less than half the price of the Geissele.

22” should get most of what the 6.5 has to offer.👍
I had problems running a Geissele trigger in my New Frontier c-10 lower. It would make contact with the bolt catch and cause misfires. The LaRue trigger is cut out slightly different on the hammer and makes no contact with the bolt catch. Something to consider on a large frame build. I have a aero M5 lower as well I did not test the Geissele in that rig I just put it in one of my ar15's works fine on that platform.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So like a 3 to 4lb barrel yikes. The BA 22in stainless comes in at 4lbs. If you aren't going for 1200yrd shots perhaps a 20in faxon heavy gunner that weighs 2.59lbs 1000yrd shots perhaps. I have their match series 20in heavy fluted barrel in 308 excellent barrel like a laser beam 2.4lbs love it. Faxon has excellent customer service I have dealt with them. I also have BA barrels a Hanson, a Modern government profile great for the money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts