Time to cook a hot meal....

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by rimfirehunter, Oct 19, 2007.

1. The bug out is underway, you are on foot, in the vehicle, bike etc etc... Now you are settling in a relatively secure site for the night, or a few days, and want to cook up a hot meal to fill the belly and provide a bit of comfort.

So... What do you guys carry in your BOB's, or kits, to cook on while out in the field.

Here's a YouTube example of my next project... 9min video but its good.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkQ0-Qa_RlA[/ame]

2. elguapo

elguapo Guest

Very interesting....

3. I carry matches and have a large collection of wood I keep scattered around the forests of the world. Maybe you've seen it.

As a backup, I have a couple of cans of Sterno and a folding stove to go with a nesting metal cook-set. Also a swiss ranger stove which is a long metal can with integral water bottle and cup. I usually have a couple #10 cans from work in my car which also make excellent stoves. #10 cans can do just about anything if you've got a decent pair of snips.

I'll try to post pics of all my cook-gear.

'bridge

4. Ridge

Ridge Member

They got drinks and stuff you can keep in your glovebox or w/e...basically pull the cap off the bottom and set it on something heat resistant...after about 5 minutes its fully heated, you take off the top pull cap, and you are ready to eat!

5. vallen

vallen Member

I have a firesteel on my keychain. Pretty simple boyscout preparedness stuff.
    We used to make the chimneys out of big coffee cans and a can opener to make the triangle cuts around the bottom. but you can scrounge for that.

6. I carry a esbit stove for use with fuel tabs or gell packs in my GHB, along with a magnesium fire started, strike anywhere matches, wind and water proof matches and a butane lighter. I carry a 3 piece nesting mess kit to cook in on the esbit stove or on a campfire if I have the opportunity to build one.

7. GlockMan

GlockMan Member

Smoke and the light of a fire can give up your position.

8. Sago

Sago Member

I use a Small isopropyl alcohol Stove fashioned from a Altoids tin.
    No smoke unless you burn something. Not much light as the whole thing is covered by the pan and alcohol is easy to carry as a little will go a long way.
    Ways only a few ounces. And unlike other more specialized fuels you can pick it up at any car store or stop and rob.

Some examples here
    http://www.geocities.com/byrdscouter/altoids.html

And I use a stainless steel boyscout kit to cook with. If I am planning to not be able to have time to cook then I fall back on either MREs or Freeze dried.

9. I carry a Esbit stove with trioxin tabs , it folds really compact .
    Also try to make a ( Dacota hole ) , a small fire can be built and it gives off a lot less light thhan the same size fire built on top of the ground . I got a small fold up stove fron Sportsman guide that I have been testing out , it uses small sticks or twigs . The down side is that it takes a lot of twigs to boil water.
    Spot

Here is a site that has plans for alcohol stoves
    http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

Rember boys and girls : BE CAREFUL

10. tuna fish can. cut corrugated cardboard into strips the width of the depth of the can. roll them up so that a thin roll of corrugated cardboard fille the cen. Stick one small coardboard wick up in the center. Fille to lvel of top of cardbaord with melted parafin. make several of these. Burns like sterno. Very little smoke. Take afrore mentioned #10. Punch hole near the ground (top of can) so the candle can breathe. Beath the other end of the #10 can into a concave shape with a rock. set #10 can on top of burning cardboard and wax candle. Can cook bacon, eggs, thin meats, etc. on this.

11. I use an Esbit, Sterno and the tuna can type wax/cardboard burners. These generally do everything I need when I want to keep it light and not get too fancy with the cooking.

Speaking of pic's, why dont you guys post pic's of your personal stoves, cookers or food warmers. Below is a pic of my newest Esbit stove, several fuel tabs, large Bic and small Bic lighter. By the way, both lighters fit neatly inside the stove when its folded, this is a great way to ensure you always have a couple spares onhand to get the fuel tabs going.

[​IMG]

rimfirehunter

12. Back in the army if we absolutely had to heat a c-rat (like the spaghetti) we would take a small can like the fruitcake came in, fill it with dry dirt and pour a little gasoline in it. It would burn for quite a while.

13. Honestly, there's nothing better than squirrel roasted over a camp fire on a spit. Sorry guys, but that's the easiest way to cook a hot meal. Of course, pots and pans make it easy, and I have them for sure, trust me. I have 3 different brands of mess kits that I carry in my hunting gear/totes. If it comes down to it in a SHTF situation, I'll do whatever it takes to provide meat for my family.

14. Sago

Sago Member

Of course we are not given enough information are you hiding in this bug out? Are you on foot? Mounted? But assuming that security is at least a minimal concern you don't want woodsmoke giving your position away.
    By saying that a bug out is underway I assumed you were trying to move light and fast. And not be noticed as much as possible. That being said if I am trying to move I am not likely to be ranging for food. If I happen on something that is different. But I have enough food to get us to where we are going to be going.

Hunting would be something to be done after we get there. Not a priority on the road. But then I am planning on bugging IN not out. So it is a get home bag not really a bug out bag.

15. Idotusa

Idotusa Member

A small star fire makes little smoke and enough heat to cook on. To make a stare fire dig a hole big enough to put your fist in. Put what ever you are going to use to start your fire in the center. Arrange hard wood twigs like a stare burst around the hole with the little ends over your fire starter. Light your fire starter. AS the sticks burn push them in to the center, this will concentrate the flame and heat into a very small area, the more heat the less smoke. The coals will build up in the hole and provide long lasting heat with little wood used.