Time to Update the 2nd Amendment?

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by ArmyScout, May 4, 2014.

1. I stand corrected.

2. What the militia is and isn't was decided before the country was founded. Then it was national defined right after our current gov was started. This was long before Abe Lincoln was around.

See the Militia Act of 1792 for one thing.

Here is some from Virginia.

November 1738—An Act for better Regulation of the Militia

“II. …chief officer of the militia, in every county, shall list all free male persons, above the age of one and twenty years…” [No upper age limit.]

III. [Those exempt from personal attendance at musters to provide substitutes.]
    Provided always, That nothing herein after contained, shall be construed to compel any persons herein after mentioned, to a personal attendance at musters: …members of his majesty’s council, speaker of the house of burgesses, secretary, receiver-general, auditor, judge of the court of vice-admiralty, attorney-general, clerk of the council, clerk of the house of burgesses, clerk of the secretary’s office, a justice of the peace, clerk of any county court, or any person that shall have borne any military commission as high as that of captain, or the people commonly called Quakers: Yet all the persons aforesaid, shall, and are hereby required, to send one able-bodied man, not being a convict, or man and horse, armed and accoutred, according to the directions of this act, constantly to appear, and exercise at musters.

XI. Provided always…That eighteen months time be given and allowed to each soldier to furnish and provide himself with arms and ammunition, according to this act…during the said eighteen months, do appear at all musters, with such arms as he is already furnished with.”

XII. And, for encouragement to every soldier to provide and furnish himself, according to the directions of this act, and his security to keep his arms and ammunition, when provided, Be it enacted, by the authority aforesaid, That the furniture, arms and ammunition, provided and kept in pursuance of this act, be free and exempted, at all times, from being impressed upon any account whatsoever; and likewise from being seized or taken by any manner of distress, attachment, or writ of execution…

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Why are you bringing British laws into the discussion?

It's pretty funny just how unconstitutional that 1738 British colonial law became in 1789.:p

No way the US can compel a free man to purchase arms or show up for musters during peace time.;)

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Last I recall, contemporary scholarship had it that these were primarily sourced from Athenian law and tradition, though I personally believe that the concept of property right protection can be sourced to Israelite tradition and the issues surrounding Jezebel, if not earlier.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Then I wouldn't particularly source old "Honest Abe" in your shoes, particularly because the evidence is that he wasn't quite as loving of liberty as he's made out to be. You know he actually canceled and rescinded several Emancipation Orders given by his generals, right? He didn't issue the Emancipation Proclamation until it became politically expedient for the war effort.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    The founders reiterated the things they felt were "God-given rights" in the Declaration and the Constitution. Free Speech, (1st) Self-Defense, among other things, (2nd) and so on.

These were not "granted by government", but RECOGNIZED in these documents.

7. undeRGRound

INDY
    PS: It's called

NATURAL LAW and consists of logically provable, basic rights of PEOPLE, which cause a condition known as FREEDOM.

8. subarunut

subarunut MOLON LABE, MOFO

great frigging moderator you are!!

9. subarunut

subarunut MOLON LABE, MOFO

10. undeRGRound

INDY

PaPaTaylor is a moderator??? :confused:

(later, after checking)

"well, I'll be a S.O.B.!!!"
    PaPaWTaylor IS a moderator!
    :eek::D;)

I really never noticed!

11. papataylor

papataylor Member

Glorified old thread cleaner

*broom in hand*

At your service SIR!

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

12. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Cover your' pot..... Someone's trying to stir it.

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    You just seemed to be "one of the guys" LOL!

I 'bout crapped a brick when you said you were just 22 also :D

14. Bull

He a wised, aged, scholarly 22...

15. undeRGRound

INDY

Seemed at least 42 :D

16. papataylor

papataylor Member

You guys are making me blush!

Keep that sweet talk goin, papa's got an ATA match to win this morning!

17. Bull

Ahhh, Danielsan....... Use crane technique..... No can defense!

18. nadodave

nadodave the Great Member

Haha. Nostalgia, yet also the bane of my existence.

19. undeRGRound

INDY

:*

lol
    There's sweet talk for ya!