Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you set up CB,Ham,scanner antenna's You're gonna want to ground them good for lightning protection.
If you live in an area where the soil is clayish or just hard as heck this is a little trick some of the hams out here told me.

Take a 2 liter bottle cut the bottom end off get the mouth end in to the ground [may have to soften it up with some water. Fill the bottle with water and let it set for 1 to 3 days keep refilling it. NOW the ground has softened up take your grounding rod and insert it in bottle THRU the mouth and refill bottle take your hammer or whatever you are using to pound it in and start pounding keep filling with water as it goes down. The water will soften the ground and will lubricate the rod and it will go in better then if you did dry.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I think 8 ft grounding rods are pretty standard at radio shack etc..Whatever length you get bury all of it. This is just the safety ground i believe you'll want an RF ground for ham/cb also. Thats basically just a short antenna but I don't know alot about Ham so you'll have to look that up

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grounding rods are usually 8 to 10 footers and yes put em in all the way. RF grounds ARE the ground rod It's the same thing.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
If I remember correctly its a short wire ground like 9' or less , basically the lousiest antenna you can make to remove extraneous RF. Usually for 10 meters and above its effective. It should go right to your point of ground and obviously if your setup is on the 2nd floor you really can't do an RF ground.

·
Banned
4,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You got me now I've never heard of it then. Basically I am on 144 mhz and 440 mhz and using mobile antenna's in my room. No outside antennas here [HOA]

·
Registered
205 Posts
You got me now I've never heard of it then. Basically I am on 144 mhz and 440 mhz and using mobile antenna's in my room. No outside antennas here [HOA]
lol i wont forget when i had a house in a hoa lolololol

i got a extendable antanae with a huge hinge at the bottom and at night i would stand it up then extend it with the winch about 60~ foot in the air ahahhahahahahahhahahahah great times there i got out big time lololol and with just 4 watts had great range was able to talk to my friends in apache junction from surprise

if i hit the switch i could talk to my friends in flagstaff and yuma hahahhahahahahhah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts