Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a chance to buy this kit from a guy who couldn't put it together. Took a while to round up the missing mainspring housing, barrel link and pin.
Kit assembled on an Armscor Government model:

Closer shot of the pistol:

Comparison of carbine kit with my 995--the stock on the .45 is way too long, it needs to be shortened.

I'll let y'all know what I think when I get a chance to shoot it. There are 20 and 40 round drums, as well as 10 and 15 round extended magazines available; I've never heard anything good about their dependability.

Will this be better than a .45 rifle? I can't imagine how as both my wife and I took an instant dislike to the feel of the thing. I don't think this will last long with me--it just feels like something that will be sold or traded soon...

ETA link to Numrich page:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=588350&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
It looks badarse no matter how long you keep it. Nice build NDS.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
For almost the same money, you can get one of these for a 1911:

OR
the same for any Glock: 45ACP, 40S&W, 9mm

This is mine:

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
that looks like a lot of fun. I've never heard anything good about those .45 drum mags.
At the show last weekend I considered one, but after talking to the guy for a bit and buying m14 acc. he steered me away from them, (No way would i put one on my pistol, not necessary, it was for a buddy's .45 marlin camp carbine which I just learned takes 1911 mags, sweet). An honest salesman, how odd. Anyhow they're not reliable.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For almost the same money, you can get one of these for a 1911:
I've both looked those at and talked to people that own Mech-Tech units and they have not been very impressed either. 'almost the same' is relative--I think it's not 'almost' Currently, the cheapest listing for one of these on GunBroker is $230.00-I don't feel these are worth the price any more than I could bring myself to pay $150 for the conversion pictured.

Also, I bought this from a guy who sold it to me for significantly less than Numrich charges for a new one. Had I found the M-T unit for similar discount I'd have bought that.

This is something I bought and put together no good reason other than I felt like it. My title was entirely tongue-in-cheek as I expect the 4595 to be a fun dependable rifle like my 995 has been. I have no such expectations for this .45 conversions.

However, if someone thinks they want it--feel free to contact me. :wink:

·
Registered
719 Posts
High five for being a fellow Armscor .45 guy!

G

·
Hey Maaso we all have brain farts at times. You aren't retarded trust me. If it isn't a brain fart it is you are typing so fast your fingers trip over each other.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it just feels like something that will be sold or traded soon...
I'll give you my truck for it....Im out of money at the moment.
(fixed it for ya')

I might be getting together a list of stuff I'm willing to swap off in a few weeks. Even if I choose to keep the Armscor .45 (way cool pistol, and I'm definitely a 1911 guy--even if I don't drink the JMB kool-aid) I might put the barrel and shoulder stock on the list. Unfortunately, I don't need another truck. I think I'd ask for gun trades and see what's offered. Give me some time to sort my current situation out and I might post.

Thanks for the offer anyway-- :)

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I have to admit that I don't get this kit: the stock looks way low, so that the recoil would throw this backward over your shoulder. Now, NDS, I've seen the kits for sale, so I know that this is in the original engineering, not anything off in your execution. So, if you've shot this, does it feel as weird as I imagine it would?

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have to admit that I don't get this kit: the stock looks way low, so that the recoil would throw this backward over your shoulder. Now, NDS, I've seen the kits for sale, so I know that this is in the original engineering, not anything off in your execution. So, if you've shot this, does it feel as weird as I imagine it would?
I haven't had a chance to fire it yet--I was dumb enough to agree to teach summer school (over this Friday) then I've got to get things wrapped up here and get down to AZ. So, maybe next week or week after I'll have time.

As for you're observation--you're dead on. It feels weird just holding it to the shoulder--and the length of pull feels too long (measures about 17 inches BTW, about 14 is considered standard). I'm not expecting any problem with recoil because it is a mid-power pistol round, but I'm also not expecting to think this is a great idea. After all, if this really was a great idea, these kits would be everywhere, right? :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts