TITANIUM!

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Taurus357, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Ok, I don't know about you guys, but everytime I see something made of Titanium, I think of our very own PrimalSeal. While shopping today at www.thinkgeek.com (best online store for nerds) I came across this...

[​IMG]

Yes, that is a TITANIUM SPORK!
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8ace/

Let's see what other over use of Titanium you guys can come up with!

2. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

Primal's favorite [dontcha think :wink: ]

3. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Why, cause he though titanium was something like $1000 per oz.?

4. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

or near impossible to craft usable parts out of????

5. griff30

griff30 Member

Ok guys Im late to the game with picking on Primal and titanium. What gives?
    as for the most BAD ASS use of titanium, I give you the SR71:[​IMG]

6. Spork > Jet. Plain and simple. I love think geek. They got some great stuff that I like.

7. the sr-71 was the coolest jet ever....i will miss it. i believe it was retired recently.

8. neothespian

neothespian Member

I believe it goes back to some HP naysayer who claimed that the guns were worse than Saturday Night Specials and he used his SUPERIOR engineering skills and even then could not get the pistol to "Tolerable" levels.

He had listed a gamut of ridiculous claims about the "modifications" he did, including having a Titanium firing pin manufactured by a gunsmith and said it still failed numerous times.

My memory is a little hazy about the fallout, but it wasn't pretty.

9. The SR-71 was retired a while back, and was supposed to be replaced by the Aurora. Not sure why, but some of the 71's were put back into service and I've heard little about Aurora for years - maybe some flyboys here might have some perspective or info.

I've replaced all my firing pins, every weapon, with titanium. I think they last longer and project better trajectory and penetration. I'm testing one with a 0.0034" countersink chamfer as they aide in expansion of the JHP's. I'll publish the results/pics.

10. Kyu

Kyu Senior Member Member

Does it make be an uber geek for owning one of those sporks?

11. neothespian

neothespian Member

No.

But if it was a Wi-Fi enabled, carbon-fiber reinforced USB powered spork imported from South Korea...then THAT would make you a uber geek.

12. Thayldt21

no it makes you cool. And the envy of a admn. And a mod . lol

13. Group Buy Time? :?:

14. Thayldt21

15. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

I think that was after a 71 crash landed in china. I always just thought that Clinton was being dumb but then I put two and two together and realized that I was being dumb.... figures... :roll:

16. hpman

hpman Guest

Speaking of carbon fiber.......Did anyone see Smash Lab? They wrapped a trailer in carbon fiber and parked it behind a passenger jet and let the engines loose. Cool!!

17. neothespian

neothespian Member

That show is a JOKE!!! They are a bunch of pretty faces that just want to blow stuff up and their "science" is total bunk!

If they were totaly serious about seeking new ways to prevent dissaster, they would consider more common materials that would befit the application better. They'd do better research. They'd experiment with better control groups, and they would...oh ....I dunno....use PRACTICAL materials?

For example: The trailer experiment. I would've assumed that they would've examined houses and trailers in Florida that have been built with severe storms in mind. Also, Carbon Fiber?!?! That would make a lovely half million dollar trailer by the time it hit the market. Fiberglass, which has similiar properties but not as high tensile strength and about one tenth the cost, would've made far more sense as a material. Also, I fail to see how a bunch of jet engines can accurately reflect a gale force storm. Don't get me started on their "Test" houses, which were so badly constructed I've seen highschool volunteers from Habitat for Humanities do a better job.

In short: Hack science built for ratings and that's all. I hardly find pretty idiots blowing stuff up and putting a thin veil of "science", thus misleading the purpose of the show, entertainment.

Rant done.

18. Thayldt21

NEO 100% bud.

I think it is a spinn of if you will of myth busters.

19. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Neo's still cranky cuz he didnt get cast for Mythbusters :p

20. neothespian

neothespian Member

DAMN straight!!! Flew all the way out to San Fransisco for the final interviews and blew it :evil: What kind of theater tech can you be when you miss THAT chance....