Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this topic in a thread on the Lounge board. I was wondering if such an idea would have any merit at all. Please feel free to consider/discuss such an idea at your leisure, and, if you want, please feel free to post your own thoughts on this here. I know I, for one, would appreciate hearing your opinions!

Thanks, guys!

Jag 8)

Original post:

Wow, eqfan592, good comparison there...I didn't think that anyone would pick up on that train of thought about the "faith in a higher power"...maybe, someday, there might be a thread in the forum where we could openly discuss such ideas WITHOUT EVERYONE GETTING FRIGGIN' CARRIED AWAY AND BASHING other people's beliefs/values? You know, somewhere that people could talk and act like respectful adults so that we might actually learn a thing or two instead of having just another case of mindless debate and mud-slinging/name-calling sessions...and, no, I'm not pointing fingers or accusing anyone here on this forum of such conduct; rather, I am simply making the observation that I have seen such conduct played out on many other places on the internet (and elsewhere, for that matter), and, quite frankly, I am tired of it...

...maybe I'm just wishfully thinking, but then again, maybe not...

...Mods/Admins, is this even remotely a possibility? Perhaps I am just being naive, but just maybe a chance for a real, honest, open, malice-free discussion actually exists?...I don't know...

...but if it were to be attempted, say, like for a trial period of a month or so, I believe everyone who would want to participate should read and agree to something similar to the following disclaimar:

"We here at HPFF offer this board as a means of allowing our members to participate in an open, honest conversation about their values/beliefs in the areas of religion and faith. This environment is to be free of malice, intolerance, and hatred. While we cannot control what goes on outside of this forum in the personal lives and decisions of each and every member of this forum, we can control the content and conduct in this board. Any posts here MUST comply with the Code of Conduct; there will be ZERO tolerance of any sort of written abuse or hateful messages directed at ANY participant on this board. While participants are free to disagree with another participant on a topic, they will do so respectfully and without ill-intent. Any violation of this policy will result in disciplinary action to include actions up to suspension and/or a permanent ban of a user account. To help lessen the burden on our mods/admins, please look over your posts carefully to help prevent such prohibited content from entering the board; in other words, you are responsible for what you post, so edit your own work!

Those who participate in the discussion here on this board come from many walks of life with many different forms of faith and beliefs. All are welcome here, and while everyone here has their differences, we do share two things in common that are fundamental to each and every one of our own personal convictions. Firstly, we all have a belief in something that is apart from ourselves; logically speaking, even atheists believe in the independent idea that there is no God. Such an idea may or may not be true; regardless of its veracity, the truth of such an idea or belief is independent of the observer/believer. If something is true, it is true regardless if you, me, or anyone else says it isn't; if it isn't true, then no amount of hoping that it is true on anyone's part will make it so. Thus, we all believe in something apart from ourselves.

Second, all of us here believe that human beings deserve to be treated like the sentient, intelligent entities we are. Each one of us has value and independence as an individual, and as such no one deserves to be the victim of another's aggressive attacks or outright ridicule, be such actions physical, verbal, written, or otherwise. While we may disagree with each other on many things, we do agree that there really does exist conduct and behavior that is outright wrong to perpetrate on another person; to such abusive conduct and the perpetrators thereof, we readily state that we will not tolerate such behavior!

One more thing: there does exist something that is okay to be intolerant of--intolerance itself. Just food for thought..."

This is just a sample of a possible disclaimor. Mods/Admins, I'm going to repost this idea in the Forum Suggestions board for your consideration. If you feel that any part of this post violates anything in the code of conduct or any other forum policy, please feel free to lock the thread/delete the post, whatever action you deem necessary. I mean no ill-will towards anyone with the thought of entertaining such a board, nor do mean to hijack this thread with a possible controversial topic. I simply mean to suggest an idea that may have some validity to it. I, for one, can speak to the fact that I have very little venues with which to talk about my own personal beliefs, especially ones that are free from aggressive retorts and outright hostility. Even here at the college I attend, which is supposed to be "open to all people of all creeds", I can't openly discuss my own ideas or convictions without having some higher official (not other students, ironically!), either a professor or someone higher up the chain of command in this university, tell me that I can't discuss topics like religion in the classroom. This isn't public school; this is a post-secondary school of education where people PAY to come and learn new vocations and interests! You'd think that such a place would be open to serious discussions about such things, but apparently not...I know I would certainly appreciate a place among friends where one could talk about such ideas without the constant threat of oppression...

Just an idea...

Jag 8)

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
this sort of thing weas touched on during the FFZ debacle. it ended up with one member advocating genocide of all muslins simply because of thier faith and belifs. we dont really care if you post topics discussing religion as long as they remain polite and calm. the second anything gets even remotely out of control or hateful, it gets shut down. as this is the eventual outcome of 99% of relgious threads, we usually kill them before they get out of hand. nothing inflames tempers as much as relgion and discussing it like adults seems to not be doable.

we tried having a dedicated forum for these kinds of topics and it quickly degenerated into insults threats and vitriol. lets not go there again.

SW

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh well...so much for that idea...

:cry2: ^-^ 8)

...Sorry to bring up a dead topic. I apologize for any inconvenience...guess I'll just have to do what I've always done: write down my ideas on paper or on a word processing software program so that, at least, I have somewhere to express them...Thanks for your time!

Jag 8)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts