To AR or not?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Back2School, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Back2School

Back2School Member

Thinking of picking up an AR -15. I dont think I really need another gun, but I have been wanting one. I rented one Sat and had fun shooting it just dont think I "need" it.

Until now, most of my guns have been very cheap and fall into the category of their cheap and I can pay easily with saving a few weeks pocket money. No different to me than going to Harbor freight and picking up some tools.

Then I decided I wanted a nicer gun. Found an ok deal on a S&W M&P. I like it. I doubt I will ever get rid of this one. Was thinking of spending on an AR with the same attitude - having it forever. Not talking a $2K AR, more like a S&M M&P 15 ($600) but something I will have for the rest of my life.

For long guns, I already have a Ruger 10/22, 4595TS and a mosin (but I think the mosin is more just something I wanted to collect - I have had some feeding issues and have trouble finding a place that lets me shoot the surplus ammo I bought)

So why should I or why shouldn't I?

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Sounds just like me, last year. If it is a forever gun, get the one you want. Not just what fits your budget. AK ammo is about 1/2 the cost to shoot?

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The AR is the Sporting Rifle of this generation. If you want to understand the sport shooting culture of this generation you simply must understand the shooting dynamics of the AR. To not own an AR would be like not owning a 30-30 lever or a .22LR bolt in the 30-40's. or a Sportorized milsup in the 50-60's.

If you want to understand why your grandpa/great-grandpa shot the way he did, you need a "dirty-dirty" and a "twenty-two." If you want to understand why your dad/grand-dad shot the way he did, you need a Sporterized surplus Mauser, M1 Carbine, or similar milsup.

Same goes for the AR, though, I must say that the 10/22 and some sort of Pistol Caliber Carbine are rapidly gaining "2nd most popular" places.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. I have shot plenty of AR's, got buddies who will let me shoot them all day long. I never caught the disease, doubt I ever will. They have no soul and I have other guns with soul that serve the same purposes.

For whatever reason I don't get it.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Get an AR chambered in 7.62x39. ;)

It has more energy than the 5.56 and only gives up a little bit in ballistics to the .308.

I have been very seriously considering this.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's all the plastic furniture and "flat black everything." Get an AR with wood furniture and you'll be in love. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. I think an AR is defintely worth the $600-$750. you get an accurate versatile rifle, that can handle just about anything but big game. And you can swap uppers to a ton of options, if you want.

I would love to own one. but have no plans unless they drop in price like crazy. I cant hunt with one. cant shoot it enough to justify the price. and i know if i bought one it would probably turn into a money pit. flip ups, red dots, flash lights. Ar's" have no soul" so the beg to be compensated with gadgets.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Sure you can. .223 is used to hunt everything from prairie dog up to hogs. Don't like 5.56/.223? Get it chambered in whatever caliber you want. .308 is common and a good larger game hunting round. Heck, there are even some AR's chambered in 30-06.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I already decided I'm picking up an AR. Not just one, but 3 as a matter of fact. Matching his and hers 15's in 5.56 and then an all mine 10 in .308. Once I figure out which 80% lowers to get I'll start building them.

10. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    When you look at what you have (.22LR, PCC, and bolt action milsurp) the full power semi-auto AR fits in really nicely.

11. Here in PA we can not use semi auto rifles for any hunting. That is what the poster meant. there is consideration for allowing them for groundhogs,fox and coyote but did not make this years regs

12. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

You know someone with the jig?

13. MachoMelvin

After coming down with the "Hi Point" ADDICTION, I got 1 of each, AR-AK-FAL!

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm sorry to hear that.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. cktvt

cktvt Member

I think you mean "S&W" but maybe not ;)

16. This needs done ASAP! I think everyone needs at least 1 AR and 1 AK. I ended up with 9 ARs and 2 AKs, so maybe I'm biased. ;) seriously though get one.

17. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Yep....

Me!!!

18. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Cool! I thought about doing that with a couple buddies, but no one could get hold of one. And they were more than the lowers themselves. That and we figured we'd butcher one lower before we got it figured out.

19. Back2School

Back2School Member

THanks for the responses.

Anything special to look for?

I keep hearing the M&P 15 Sport is a great entry level rifle. All the reviews I have seen are very positive....

20. MachoMelvin

Get one with a warranty?
    You NEVER know what can happen!

Attached Files: