To Axe or not to Axe?

Discussion in 'Knife and Blade Forum' started by greg_r, Nov 29, 2020.

1. rickm

rickm Member

Back when i was a kid i put one of them thru hell and it held up

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Just because I’m contrary...if I went with an axe, I’d get a double bit. Lighter weight for carrying, thinner blade for deeper bite, and more cutting between sharpening sessions. Need a hammer? Flip it sideways or use a rock.

Rerun and rickm like this.

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I actually kept a double bit in the battle wagon when I was still a FF. That thing was a beast for roof ventilation instead of waiting for or toting around the K12/Partner saw. Still have it too. I went with the fiberglass handle, because it doesn't conduct electricity. Now I've got a double bit, flat head, pick head, splitting maul, and a 5lb sledge in the garage. All with yellow fiberglass handles. That thing ripped windshields like a hot knife through butter too...

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

A good double bit is not a bad way to go. One side thin for cutting, the other thick for splitting. Very versatile - 2 tools in one.

ajole likes this.
  5. A double bit tomahawk would be interesting.

greg_r likes this.
  6. greg_r

Look what I found. No, I did not buy it.
    419A8741-D543-40DB-AE00-632C54F752B1.jpeg

Rerun and CamoDeafie like this.
  7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That’s pretty tactical looking.
    Might even be able to use the end of the shaft, between the blades where the eye would be, as a hammer?
    Could be fun to throw.

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    That's so cute. Can't wait till it grows up to be an adult battle axe.

histed and Rufus Nathaniel REDD like this.
  9. I don't remember if CRKT stuff is entirely US made ? I had a CRKT EatN'Tool "tactical spork/opener/multitool" 9100K with this engraving "LIONG MAH DESIGN"... got it as a christmas gift from my parents.

10. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

How about a machete? You can chop, dig and use it as a weapon.

11. greg_r

CamoDeafie likes this.
  12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It was funny how they repeatedly mentioned the handle was Tennessee hickory. But they never said where the metal was from, out front.
    Realistically, even most of the “US made” blades will have steel from the orient in them.

Here’s the less tactical version.
    https://www.crkt.com/woods-chogan-t-hawk.html

13. greg_r

I found this. H&B Forge. Made in Ohio. They have a polled hawk that I was told about. Went to their site and found this belt axe. Looks kind of like a cross between a hawk and an axe. It’s a 17" tool, so a bit shorter than I was thinking, but it should meet my needs.
    upload_2020-12-2_2-48-53.jpeg

Here is their polled hawk. Also 17".
    upload_2020-12-2_2-50-25.jpeg

I am going to sleep on it. Don’t know which one I like best. Thinking the belt axe. But I will get one of these two I think.

http://www.hbforge.com/index.php?p=home

splatterin succotash and ajole like this.
  14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

To no one's surprise, I have an H&B 'hawk. I like it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. greg_r

After all my searching, I made my choice. The Council Tool Flying Fox. I had been looking at it for a bit, mentioned it in post #3. What made me choose it? I knew they were USA made, but I thought they were made in the Midwest. I found out they were actually made in my home state. Made in Waccamaw. USA made is good, North Carolina made is better! It’s not one of their premium axes, but part of their sport utility line. Still a good product, difference being their premium line comes polished. I can polish mine I guess.