To buy or not to buy? used JCP w/ammo for $140

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by wganz, Nov 6, 2014.

1. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

He wants $140 with a box of ammo.
    He states it has a six digit serial # that starts off with 117.
    Looking for a lab rat pistol to see if a 1911 grip scope mount can be melded to it. High probability that it will go back to mom for rebuild when things go awry.

Is that a buy or pass?

[​IMG]

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    That's a JC not a JCP. BIG difference. Price is fair if you don't have to add shipping & transfer.

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

That gun new sells new around here for $139. Not sure if I agree with doing experiments on the gun & sending it back to MoM for repairs? MoM is gracious enough to repair our un-intentional goof-ups, but this maybe pushing the envelope?

4. Brando

Brando Member

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    "New" may not be the right word for a gun that hasn't been produced in over 10 years, but I agree with the price AND the comment about asking mom to eat our mistakes, when they are intentional.

6. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

You are correct, I didn't pay attention to the picture, just the post.
    $150 for the JC-40 + ammo is a fair deal.

7. cicpup

Vermont
    Oh hey wganz,

This JC will be a much better candidate for your project than a newer Hi-Point. It has an alloy/metal frame, the grips are better shaped for your plans & no mag release spring to worry about.

8. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I would buy it.

9. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Glad that it is a solid frame, makes life easier.
    Have sent him a text to see if he's still ready to sell. :cool:

10. JH45

JH45 Member

I would pass.

11. cicpup

Vermont
    Best advice given this week.

12. cicpup

Vermont
    Oh BTW, I agree with the others. Especially since your plans include possibly drilling & tapping the frame, if you eff it up you should eat it. Not MoMs problem. Even though they would probably replace it.

13. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

Not sure everywhere else, but locally to me, its going to be at least $50 to get the transfer done...........just seems like it might be more beneficial to just buy a new one for the $179

14. gibby62766

gibby62766 Member

Id buy a brandnew jhp 45 off the shelf for $199.in fact that's just what i did offer $100

15. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

That SunOfaGun texted me back that he had traded it off. Well, guess that means that I'm going to have to go to the Mesquite gun show on Saturday to see if I can find another JC.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    WTF!!!

It's $15-$25 here, for tranfers from out of state. If I buy from a guy in state, we can meet and it costs nothing.:)

The Glock I got this weekend...we exchanged guns, shook hands, got in our vehicles and drove away. Too easy..or maybe exactly as easy as it should be.:cool:

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Why? Don't you have any hobbies? Never dropped $200 on a project you wanted to do? Heck, I drop $100 just filling the truck's fuel tanks.:rolleyes:

Yeah, that isn't a good idea. The new models CANNOT accept that rail mount, their frame is polymer, and this JC (or a JH) was about as close as he can get to looking like it would fit the mount.

On the other hand, I spent $90 per alloy framed gun in my collection, so its hard for me to get behind the price on this...but it isn't like they are easy to find.

Unless you are Macho Melvin.:p

18. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Speaking of filling up the trucks fuel tank, got my gas for two forty-five a a gallon today.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

WHAT!!!!!!

Holy cow!

We are under $3, but barely...:rolleyes:

20. cicpup

Vermont
    I figure there's about 4 of us following this build as it's spread out over 3 or 4 threads.

A Maverick or JS would be a good candidate too. If he wanted to drop to a 9mm. Actually a Maverick is closer to the angle needed and just have to deal with the sear cam & trigger bar. No other parts under the right grip to worry about.

I gotta get behind any custom attempt. Price be damned. But then I'm the fool who painted a brand new C-9 yellow, cut up a brand new 995ts and built a folder & turned a brand new 4595ts into a classic. And paid full retail for all 3. I'm really a bad example for thriftiness.