To strip or not to strip

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by planosteve, Mar 22, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I now have a Remington 550-1 from 1951 that was my grandfathers truck gun while he was farming. The bluing is worn and has some surface rust, so I am keeping it oiled to prevent anymore. The varnish on the stock it pretty beat up but overall there are no big dings in it.

So my question is should I refinish the stock? My wood working skills involve me hitting my thumb with a hammer. I do know how to sand, so what do I need to do to strip off the old finish and redo it? I really do not have a clue, also should I refinish it or just leave it as is. It is a pretty nice piece of black walnut so I think it might be pretty.:confused:

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

3. planosteve

Now that it is cleaned up and shooting my little brother wants the J.C. Higgins Model 30 so he is going to get it and I am keeping the 550. So as per moony here are some pics of the 550. The varnish is chipped and scratched but overall it doesn't look too bad. But after looking at what some of you all have done I think I would look great refinished, but I don't know for sure. Should I refinish the metal?

Attached Files:

4. Django

Django Member

I think it would look nice refinished

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  5. moona11

Here's the thing is it worth anything as is money wise. I don't think so it's more sentimental value. So I would refinish it my self. I don't sell a gun ever so refinishing one is no big deal. Go for it and take your time doing it. Citristrip is a good stripper for wood. Brownells has good bluing. Kirk is a good guy to ask about bluing. I basically strip the metal heat it up a little and put the bluing on. wait 5 minutes card it off and repeat until it will not get any darker or I like the color. I use oil based stains and multiple colors on the wood until I get the color I like. i generally use heilmans urethane with several coats or just stock sheen and conditioner for a matte finish and wax it with Flitz gun and knife wax or Nufinish.

6. rickm

rickm Member

I been using TruOil lately on all the stocks i been redoing, it take several coats but I like the sheen and look it gives and brings out the natural wood, have had several people think i have put polyuretane on them but its just oil

7. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

If you're just stripping off the varnish don't use sandpaper. Sandpaper will remove varnish and wood, it doesn't care. I like using very fine steel wool and stripper to remove old varnish. Don't use a lot of force, you're just using the steel wool to work the stripper. Change out the steel wool when it gets gummed up with melted varnish. For the hard to get to areas (inside corners, designs, etc) use a very fine soft brass brush with a wooden handle (plastic handles may soften or melt). Again, don't use a lot of force, you're just using the brush to work the stripper. Once you are done clean off the stripper residue per the instructions on the can.

If the stock is made from a nice piece of wood I would just hit it with a few coats of clear varnish.

8. planosteve

Thanks for all the advice. It is worth about 150 to 200 in its current condition, but I am not going to get rid of it. So I will look into cleaning off the rust and bluing it. I didn't think about a chemical stripper to that sounds good. Will need to get some materials and some time, but it sounds like fun.

9. moona11

You could always do this :-D

Attached Files:

10. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I like how it looks like a brand new laminated stock that's been used to bat rocks over the fence.

11. moona11

had to leave the battle scars history

12. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Yea. Felt that way about my t53 too. Now I'm shopping sporter stocks because I'm tired of the jungle rat graffiti.

13. planosteve

Moony that is cool :cool:, but I am going for 50's classic, not zombie :zombie: apocalypse classic.

14. planosteve

Quick question, is a quart of citristrip enough?:confused:

15. lsi1

lsi1 Member

Steve I am not sure I would refinish anything on the gun. Its not just an old piece you picked up roaming around the internet or the local gun show. It earned every one of those blemishes ad rust pits rollin around in the back of your grandfathers truck. I know it sounds stupid but once you strip that off and sand the rust out those marks are gone forever.

At $150 in that condition pick up another one and restore it first you'll get your money back and you'll know if that is what you want to do to your grandfathers gun or not.

16. moona11

o ya that's enough for a ton of stocks.

17. lsi1

lsi1 Member

i didn't mean the stock i meant the entire gun.

18. moona11

I was answering plano about the stripper

19. planosteve

Looks like I need to think about this. Other than being my grandfathers, and I remember it being in his truck all the time I don't have a deep emotional attachment to it. I am more attached to the Higgins Model 30 and the Winchester Model 12 that were my dads that he and I used to shoot and hunt with. Little brother now wants the model 30 (as per mom I have to let him have it:wah:) now that it is cleaned up and functioning, but the Model 12 is mine now and will not be changed at all.

20. lsi1

lsi1 Member

just wanted to throw that out there my son inherited the henry leaver action youth model 22 that was in my grandfathers jeep and an old beaten up H&R 949 revolver I nearly started working on both before i realized that maybe they are better off as they were for sentimental reasons. Both of the guns i mentioned are still shooters if they were in rough enough condition that they had to have restorative work to continue to function then i would have had that done.