Tom Deeb designed a smaller "Saturday Night Special"-type gun . .

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by Nu-Point, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Nu-Point

Nu-Point Member

http://extras.denverpost.com/news/shot0801a.htm

Anyone ever heard of this? Is there a way we can urge them to produce this because I would be very interested. I have a thing for Saturday Night Specials and a Hi-Point one would be great

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Maybe it would even be a 22lr or 25acp!

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

The problem is, HP is far behind in production. Every gun they make into late 2016 is already sold. They just can't make enough of them now. So why start something that may not be a hit, and just stay on the proven path? The article you posted came out way back in the 1990's?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Maybe this is why Mr. Deebs is starting anew in Texas? :eek: ;)

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have never met Tom Deeb, but I would love to meet him for lunch, I'd buy???

6. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

We can only hope!

7. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

A nice semi-auto chambered for Federal .327 Magnum - 13 rounds, would be real nice!

eldar

8. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

no pics?................

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Would be real difficult.

It's rimmed, makes semi use hard.

However...Keltec and Savage and a few others seem to be getting it to work, with the .22 mag and the .17 WSM guns. Maybe it's just around the corner?

It would do 500-600 ft lbs of energy out of a 4 inch barrel, close to the .357 Sig, so that's good. But then...why not just use .357 Sig? There's a few 13-15 round guns in that caliber already, and the sub compact G33 holds 9.

Until someone gets serious about making lots of rimmed caliber semi auto handguns, I think the .327 only makes sense in a revolver, and in a 5+ inch hunting type revolver, it makes even more sense, as it gets up over 700 ft lbs of energy. In a 3 inch barrel, while better than many other 3" guns energy wise it's not any better than the 4 inch guns in those calibers, so, you'd have to decide which matters more, to you. The .357 Sig is better than the 327 at 3", with a heavier bullet at the same velocity.

10. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

I would love to own an eight or nine shot Federal .327 Magnum or .32 H&R Magnum revolver.

If manufacturers can turn out seven and eight shot .357 Magnum revolvers, why not the smaller caliber Magnums?

eldar

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
  11. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

The Desert Eagle .357 Magnum semi-auto uses rimmed .357 Magnum cartridges. You just have to make sure You load the cases in the same way. Just like the .22 LR or .22 Magnum cartridges ~ in proceeding order.

eldar

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

Yep.

So...you have to fiddle with it to make it work right.

It has a 9 round capacity, but weighs 4.5 lbs, nearly double a 1911.

And it's expensive.

Sounds like a non- win to me.

And that was exactly my point, now that mainstream places are making rimmed stuff work, we can possibly move beyond the silly stuff like the Desert Eagle.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  13. TNTRAILERTRASH

don't forget the :rolleyes: Coonan POS with their excellent customer service. :rolleyes:

14. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Really???

You're going to compare the Desert Eagle to the Coonan POS???

That's like comparing Apples to Orangutans!

Yeah, sure, both Apples and Orangutans start with a vowel but, that is as far as it goes!

Really, now.

Smh.

eldar

15. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

But, they DO exist.

eldar

16. Nu-Point

Nu-Point Member

I take it the Coonan 357 isn't looked highly-upon?

17. TNTRAILERTRASH

Over at the Glock forum one member used to show off his high dollar guns. He bought a pair of Coonans and had problems with them. They claimed you could shoot .38spl and they jammed. He talked to the owner sent them to be repaired and got the run around when they still didn't perform as touted. *****ed about their lack of customer service, ignored calls etc. He sold them and a month or two later bought another pair. Just a glutton for punishment. I told him to buy a JHP :rofl: He didn't like me too much. :p