Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Am I crazy for adding a Tomahawk to my BoB?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much debate and some field testing, I decided that I would best be served with a sturdy tomahawk in my BoB. I settled on the lightweight (relatively) Cold Steel Trail Hawk. After some tests, I came to the conclusion that it needed a better grip surface, so I sprayed it with Rustoleum textured paint, in a charcoal grey color.

It's plenty tough for gathering firewood. It holds its edge well, and can be easily resharpened with a few passes with a file. The hammer face on the back of the blade is very useful for pounding stakes and general hammering.

I got it for about $25 at a gunshop/hobby shop in my area, and you can find them on the 'net all day for that price.

I'll post pictures, if anybody is interested.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rimfire: There are some awesome hawks in the links.

As for using grip tape or something similar, I was considering using skateboard tape (think rough black sandpaper) but this paint has done a fine job so far. I might take you advice, and reconsider the skate tape route, though. Like you said, an axe wound sure would put a damper on any survival situation.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.