Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally took my ccw class today i used the c9 for the range part of the class, worked like a champ with no jams!! :D

·
Registered
464 Posts
SWEET! GRATS! I took mine yesterday. With the C9. One FTFire. Still qualified as per the instructor's standard...there is no qualification for my state, just proof that you've taken some sort of handgun training course.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol my state you don't need anything other than a clear background check. Pay $10 filing fee, and then send off the paperwork with $30 for the state licensing fee and they send you your CCW permit in the mail in a few weeks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol my state you don't need anything other than a clear background check. Pay $10 filing fee, and then send off the paperwork with $30 for the state licensing fee and they send you your CCW permit in the mail in a few weeks.
After watching some of the people that passed the class I was in, I wish it were a bit harder to get a CCW permit.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
After watching some of the people that passed the class I was in, I wish it were a bit harder to get a CCW permit.
This is, at times, part of the problem with gun owners / rights supporters. Too often there is a willingness to set one's own desires / needs as the minimum bar. The 'Right to Keep and Bear Arms' is part of the Bill of Rights and should be supported unconditionally as it stands. If enough people truly think it needs revision, there is a process-outlined within the Constitution to amend.

Until amendment occurs, there should be no amelioration or limitation of those rights.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
This is, at times, part of the problem with gun owners / rights supporters. Too often there is a willingness to set one's own desires / needs as the minimum bar. The 'Right to Keep and Bear Arms' is part of the Bill of Rights and should be supported unconditionally as it stands. If enough people truly think it needs revision, there is a process-outlined within the Constitution to amend.

Until amendment occurs, there should be no amelioration or limitation of those rights.
Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The way I read this, to me it means that we should all be able to be trained in the use of our firearm(s) & given basic training in military drills.
I wish each State would take the responsibility to offer a training course in the use of firearms & drill exercises. It sure would cut down on crime if the criminals knew most people could handle their weapon with at least minimal skill & that they knew basic tactics.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

it is what it is....all these politicians keep trying to read into this and
get it to "read" something else. take it at face value. :wink:

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
The way I read this, to me it means that we should all be able to be trained in the use of our firearm(s) & given basic training in military drills.
I wish each State would take the responsibility to offer a training course in the use of firearms & drill exercises. It sure would cut down on crime if the criminals knew most people could handle their weapon with at least minimal skill & that they knew basic tactics.
Dude... that would make too much sense, and the poliTICKs around the issue would never let it happen.

I had this same conversation with my neighbor:
We (I use that loosely for some of "us" folks) are a simpler people, with less greed, more decisiveness, and too much honesty. I hate to tell you, and the others here, but... "We will not make good politicians." We are simply not wired or trained to trample the little people, be two-sided, and fill people's imaginations with smoke and mirrors. I debated on going into politics (Running for Mayor) but decided against it, simply due to talking with the current Mayor about current issues. Being at the top isn't as pretty as one may imagine, and I cannot be trained to go against what I know is right. :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
The class I took was not just for the shoot. It also covered the concealed carry laws in my state. That is why I took the CCW class and not some other handgun training course.

Also, the way the instructor did the shoot portion: if any of his students are involved in a SD shooting, he can testify (if necessary) that HE WITNESSED his student yell "STOP" at the target...HE WITNESSED the student wait for the target to determine the student's action, etc. Oh, and he also will testify for any of his students for free as an expert witness. Major benefit if you ask me to have this guy on your side.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kinda wished it was a little less here in michigan, well at least the price anyways. You have to take a training class then pay for the backround check/permit, then there is no guarantee that you get it. I've heard that sometimes they screw up your paperwork and keep the money. Anywhere I've looked it's at least $120 for the class and $105 for filing. That's $225 that I just don't have lying around to spend on something I believe that I should have the right to do in the first place. Just one mans opinion.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Congrats on the CCW class now once you get your card
CARRY OFTEN AND CARRY SAFELY

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Kinda wished it was a little less here in michigan, well at least the price anyways. You have to take a training class then pay for the backround check/permit, then there is no guarantee that you get it. I've heard that sometimes they screw up your paperwork and keep the money. Anywhere I've looked it's at least $120 for the class and $105 for filing. That's $225 that I just don't have lying around to spend on something I believe that I should have the right to do in the first place. Just one mans opinion.
exactly my point. but now that i took the physical fitness part for the sheriff's office i'll just wait to carry, all the time.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
exactly my point. but now that i took the physical fitness part for the sheriff's office i'll just wait to carry, all the time.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Finally took my ccw class today i used the c9 for the range part of the class, worked like a champ with no jams!! :D
Congrats on the class and I assume your permit. Not knowing your background with guns, I'll share this:

I had about 5 months experience with guns when I got my CCW, just to have it. A few weeks later I decided I was comfortable enough to try to carry. It was weird. I had all sorts of strange experiences and feelings - all normal I learned. I carried only unloaded, around the house for a while, till that felt normal. Then loaded. Then unloaded outside, then loaded, and now with one in the pipe. It took me time, and it may you too - but that's normal for some.

Also - I found I was really much more aware of my surroundings. The weight on my hip was a reminder to be more aware and to notice who, what, when and all that. If you can avoid something with quick thinking and good vision, then that's best for everyone.

Best of luck to you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Something else you might notice. Your driving. You may find that you are more carfull about your seat belt, speeding, and stop signs. I dunno about others, but I want to protect my CCW, so I don't want any traffic beefs.

BTW, I really am not in favor of just letting anyone carry a gun. There are some people out there that just won't take on the reponsiblity. But then again I think driving is a privlage and not a right. I drove an 18 wheeler for over three years, over the road. Belive me, there are lots of people that should be riding the bus. For example, I'm making a carefull left turn in LA, this joker decides that he just can't wait the extra 90 seconds for me to get around the corner, and goes up on the sidewalk to get around me. Burns rubber on the sidewalk and then screams down the road. That person should not have a car, or a gun. Perhaps a nice padded room someplace.

My $0.03 worth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Something else you might notice. Your driving. You may find that you are more carfull about your seat belt, speeding, and stop signs. I dunno about others, but I want to protect my CCW, so I don't want any traffic beefs.

BTW, I really am not in favor of just letting anyone carry a gun. There are some people out there that just won't take on the reponsiblity. But then again I think driving is a privlage and not a right. I drove an 18 wheeler for over three years, over the road. Belive me, there are lots of people that should be riding the bus. For example, I'm making a carefull left turn in LA, this joker decides that he just can't wait the extra 90 seconds for me to get around the corner, and goes up on the sidewalk to get around me. Burns rubber on the sidewalk and then screams down the road. That person should not have a car, or a gun. Perhaps a nice padded room someplace.

My $0.03 worth.
Driving is a privilege, not a right. Gun ownership is a right, not a privilege.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

......ahhhh, self rightiousness......smells like shit. I prefer elitism. Forgive me. I should have been more clear. It is not the 2nd amendment I wish to deprive of people, it is the right to breed. You see, with the "advancement" of society we have seen a HUGE decline in the process of natural selection. I trust I don't have to elaborate......

The problem I have is that it takes nothing for a person to be allowed to carry a firearm that they may discharge in the same public arena that I may be in. I want everyone (within reason) to be armed. I also want everyone to be proficient with their firearms.

Back when the second amendment was written everyone had a far greater reverence for firearms. I watched two people pass my CCW class that desperately need some training/experience with hand guns. They should not have been comfortable with their own performance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dude... that would make too much sense, and the poliTICKs around the issue would never let it happen.

We (I use that loosely for some of "us" folks) are a simpler people, with less greed, more decisiveness, and too much honesty. I hate to tell you, and the others here, but... "We will not make good politicians." We are simply not wired or trained to trample the little people, be two-sided, and fill people's imaginations with smoke and mirrors. I debated on going into politics (Running for Mayor) but decided against it, simply due to talking with the current Mayor about current issues. Being at the top isn't as pretty as one may imagine, and I cannot be trained to go against what I know is right. :)
It is people that don't want the job that should have it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

It is people that don't want the job that should have it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts