Took my 4595 to the range yesterday.

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Reviews & Range Reports' started by desertrider, Feb 11, 2016.

1. desertrider

desertrider Member

The weather has been pretty warm in my neck of the woods for the past week. Yesterday was right around 90 degrees and clear with very light breezes, so I took the opportunity to hit the range.

[​IMG]

For two years my TS4595 has been one of my favorite range toys, and up until yesterday it has been infallible. I've never had any issues with reliability regardless as to what brand or type of ammo I've run through it, and it's always been accurate.

Well here's how my day went yesterday:( ........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually had more FTF's and FTE's than these, but didn't take pics of all of them.

The double feeds resulted in slamming the following round into the chamber hard enough to push the bullet into the case.

[​IMG]

After nine different mags, all of which exhibited problems, I decided to pack it up and shoot other toys. None of the mags exhibit any feeding problems in my 1911, so I seriously doubt that the problem is the mags, certainly not nine of them.

All mags fit reasonably well, and the last time I shot it with these mags (and same ammo) I didn't have any problems. I was a little frustrated and didn't want to waste time taking the gun apart and identifying the problem, so I just bagged it and put it in the truck and shot some other toys. I had other things to do later in the afternoon, so no real time for anything but shooting.

I'm going back out to the range on Monday, so I'll do a tear down and inspection this weekend to hopefully identify and correct the problem.

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I can see from your pix that your extractor claws are changing alignment.
    This may tend to throw the empty UP into the void of the action, and
    make the new incoming round jam against it. Looks like what you
    are calling a double feed is an empty and a new round...

3. desertrider

desertrider Member

Good catch, I hadn't noticed that. Something else I noticed in the pics is that my bolt handle is walking out. Very visible in the pics too. Since the roller floats, I wonder if it was binding in the channel of the cover?

I've never taken the extractor out of the bolt, do the two claws float independently? Don't think I've encountered a two piece extractor claw before. Is claw misalignment a common problem with Hipoint, or is mine just an anomaly?

Keep the ideas coming folks, I subscribe to the "it takes a village" method of diagnosis.:D

Edited to add..... Does anyone make an aftermarket one piece extractor for this?

4. undeRGRound

INDY
    Brother, Don't know what to tell you, and I would not be surprised if
    the bolt handle loosening had some bearing on your problem.
    Sometimes if the timing of the bolt's reciprocation is changed,
    it can lead to a slower ejection and subsequent fouling of the
    feed cycle. Meaning, old case interferes with the new incoming...

I just saw a potential problem, and pointed it out.
    I can also see varying bolt handle depth in your pix. (like you said)

5. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

I've never had either of my 4595TS bolt back out like that.
    I did shoot one till the gunk make the slide lock back, an easy fix on that.

So want to see what you discover as I am a 4595TS Fanboy!

6. dirtroadrider

dirtroadrider War Eagle Member

Might check the firing pin to see if its bent also. I would order a new extractor & firing pin and replace both. They are free just give Hi Point a call and they will be in the mail. Then give the 4595 another day at the range. Lets hear what the out come is. As far as the charging handle bolt put some blue loc-tite on it and that should take care of that.

7. desertrider

desertrider Member

Hadn't thought about replacing the pin and extractor, but I'll remove and inspect and contact Hipoint if they look damaged.

I had some red loctite on it already (I couldn't find my blue loctite at the time), but only a tiny drop so it would be easy to break off. I probably should have used more on it, but decided against it since the charging handle has to come out for field stripping.

8. undeRGRound

INDY
    +1 for D.R.R. :D

9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Are these reloads?

10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

+1 on the firing pin
    If it's not ejecting right the tip of the firing pin might be broken off.

11. MadJack

MadJack Supporting Member

I would pull the firing pin and disassemble the ejector assembly. The ejector assembly consists of two ejector keys (plates), the pin and spring. They may just need cleaning and/or the keys may need to have the tips filed to shape again, or replaced. Check these out and clean them, as this might get them working before replacing them.

Note, this is going by the exploded diagram in the manual, but it should be just the roll pin holding the ejector assembly in.

12. desertrider

desertrider Member

Finally found the time Sunday evening to massage my 4595 after Valentine's dinner with The Rib.

Yup, not broken, but definitely bent. Not crazy bent, but certainly enough to notice. I cleaned it up with some scotchbrite and put it back in the bolt after a good cleaning to see if it is binding. Seems to protrude through the FP hole without any noticeable dragging or obstruction, so I decided to not replace it until after one more run.

[​IMG]

No. Factory new CCI Blazer brass cased 230g FMJ ball ammo. I shot a bunch of it in the last month with no problems through my Hipoint as well as other guns.

I tried (half heartedly) to figure out how to remove the pin that retains the extractors, but I couldn't see a way to do it. An inspection of the installed extractors proved that they are not binding and that the claw end looks clear of any damage.

When I replace the bent firing pin I'll look more closely at removing the extractors.

[​IMG]

The feed ramp looked pretty gritty.....

[​IMG]

So I pulled out some sandpaper....

[​IMG]

And ended up with this after about twenty or thirty minutes or rubbing it out in the garage. I'm married, so I do a lot of rubbing in the garage anyway.

[​IMG]

And this time I put a liberal amount of blue loctite on the charging handle bolt before assembly.

[​IMG]

I was going to go to the range this morning, but the wind is picking up outside, so I'll probably head out later if it dies down.

Hoping for the best.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

You can straighten out that firing pin also.
    In any case keep it as a spare as the new one arrives.

14. desertrider

desertrider Member

Yeah, was thinking about the same thing.

Just back from the range a while ago. Only one malfunction out of 120 rounds fired, which is much better than my last outing.

I think the problem last time was probably related to the charging handle backing out and the roller possibly binding in the channel of the receiver cover.

The only problem today was a failure to extract. But it looks more like a round being pushed into battery was smashed by the extractors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    So polishing the feed ramp was the mod
    you think that started your troubles??? :confused:

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'm wondering about the extractors, or their pivot pin.

They seem to be aligned differently in every picture, one time the top is further forward, then the next the lower is further forward...and if they are binding up, that could cause all the issues seen, IMHO.

I've never taken the extractors out, I just flush things with a liquid scrubber, brush with a nylon brush, then blow it all out with air. The hole under them is easy to see in the pictures, but is the top hole as easy to see?? I can't remember.

17. desertrider

desertrider Member

No. Polishing the ramp was just one of the steps I initiated to resolve the feeding problem. FTFeed and FTE problems were present before.

Yup, extractors are a bit out of whack and seem to float independently, though since I never noticed it before, I don't know if that's the norm?

As an update, I have taken my carbine out to the range on 1/22, 2/11, 2/15, and 3/5. Three of those four range trips were fraught with stoppages of various varieties. On 2/15 (the 3rd trip) I only had one failure out of 120 rounds.

On the last trip (3/5/16) all previous failures returned again.

At this point I'm frustrated and tired of explaining and making excuses for it. I made one mechanical modification to my carbine in January, and ever since I have had consistent and recurring failures. Prior to the mod, my 4595 was infallible and became a favorite range gun.

I'm parking it in the safe for the rest of the shooting season and sometime this summer I'll pull the extractors and see if something's wrong there. I called Hipoint this morning and requested a replacement firing pin which should be here soon.

The obvious solution is to return my rifle to it's original configuration, but I'd rather exhaust all possible solutions before I do that. In the meantime I want to enjoy my range time, so my 4595 will take a temporary range hiatus.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  18. desertrider

desertrider Member

Had some free time today, and since the new firing pin came in the mail yesterday, I decided to spend a little time tweaking my carbine.

Inspected the extractor and found it to be intact and functioning, replaced the firing pin, played around a little with the mag catch, and cleaned up all the contact surfaces of the trigger components.

Looking forward to going to the range as soon as I get the opportunity.

19. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    And THAT is why I just don't mod my favorite guns.:p

I really hope things work out. At some point sending it to Mom is the right answer.:)

20. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have absolutely NO problems sending my guns into MoM. It cost me $10.74 to send back by USPS. I would rather have a gun in transit for repair, than it BROKE in the safe!