Took my brand new c9 to the range

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by shelbyzman, Apr 23, 2008.

1. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    I finally took my new C9 to the range this past weekend.
    It is a fun pistol to shoot. I think I am going to try the ghost rings out next time.

I had a few (probably about 8 ) jams which were mostly within the first 50 rounds. I shot a total of around 125 rounds.
    Most of the jams were within the first 50 rounds.
    Any ideas? I know there is a break in period.
    I did have the magazine loaded for a week before to get the spring broken in. I also tried (I know your not suppose to do this) a 995 mag and it had a ftf.

I am pleased with the C9 and am ready to go back to the range when I get a chance!

2. You would have to be a little more specific on what kind of jams you were having, and the fact that they were mostly within the first 50 rds and then pretty well went away is a good sign.

A lot of people consider 500 rds to be a proper break in period.

3. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    the problem was failure to feeds....

4. Ajusting the feed lips on the mag or polishing the feed ramp are a couple of cures for that, but if you can, just shoot it some more and see if they go away on their own.

Dont fix it if it aint broke! ;)

5. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    Yeah, I plan to just shoot it some more and see if it works it self out.
    The magazine feed lips are the same as my 995 mags which work perfect in my carbine. I really just think it needs to be "broken" in.
    Thanks for the info waltham :D

6. No problem. keep us posted on how things are going.

If it keeps messing up, as you know there are a lot of smart people here that can help :)

7. I went to the range today as well. My C9 performed FLAWLESSLY! No jams, no FTF's. I consistantly hit paper at 25 yards.

To date, my C9 has had about 600 rounds put through it. Not bad for a pistol that cost me $145.00 OTD with a lifetime warranty!!!!! [​IMG][/img]

C9 25 yard target.

[​IMG][/img]

8. NICE shooting at that range. Hell I can barely see that far hehehe

9. Shelbyzman,
    Don't know your level of experience with pistols, so I'm not try to talk down to you. Be very wary of limpwristing. Between the feed ramp polishing itself and me working on my forearm and solid wrist, I virtually have 0 FTFeeds.

10. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    When I shot it, I knew that limpwristing could be an issue. So after it jammed the first time, I consciously tried not to limpwrist it, just in case I was and it still jammed a few times after that.
    I figure the C9 just needs to be "broken in". It did get alot better towards the end of shooting it (less/no ftf's).
    Next time I do some target practice I will let everybody know how it goes.

11. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    I might be going to the range this weekend :D A range report will follow if I do.

One thing I was thinking about my first outing.....I only used wolf and bear ammo, could this be a reason that I had a few failure to feeds?

12. Possibly. I started with WWB and had a couple FTFeeds (limpwrist), then no problems. I've put about 4 or so different brands thru since then and haven't had any problems. Keep plugging away and it should resolve itself. If not, give us a holler!

13. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    I have been to the range 2 times now and I have had NO problems.
    I shot the same ammo as last time (wolf) and also some wwb.
    After over 100 rounds put through my C9 (since the first 125), not one misfeed/misfire.
    Needless to say that I am very happy camper.

14. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    I have been to the range 2 times now and I have had NO problems.
    I shot the same ammo as last time (wolf) and also some wwb.
    After over 100 rounds put through my C9 (since the first 125), not one misfeed/misfire.
    Needless to say that I am very happy camper.

15. So happy you posted twice!!!

JK.

Also most of us load the mags, and be sure to smack the bullets against the back of the mag to seat them all. I also push down on the last bullet in to "spring the stack", then make sure that last bullet is "pointed up".

Sounds like you've got it nailed though - way to go!

16. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    Yeah I'm happy but thats not the reason I double posted :lol: 1st time is showed there was an error and so I tried again, apparently it went through the first time. Also, the little (x) isn't there to delete the first post....

17. elguapo

elguapo Guest

When you first hit the "Submit" button, did you get the debug mode thing?
    Only reason I ask, and it happened to me just right now: I waited...and submitted: it went through.
    Seriously, guys, if you find these situations, let us know!

18. shelbyzman

shelbyzman Member

USA
    That is the exact error mine showed (debug....

19. yep, happened to me a few times this weekend.