Took my CHL class today

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by planosteve, Nov 21, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I had my CHL class today. One of the first things the instructor covered is as of Jan 1 it will no longer be a CHL but a LTC, Licence to Carry.

I learned some things in the class that I was not aware of and overall it was very positive. The instructor did a good job of using examples and actual events to get important points across. I aced the written exam and the shooting I got a 250 out 250. It was not much of a challenge as the ranges were 3, 7, and 15 yards. I used the CZ75BD as it is the easiest to shoot accurately.

The open carry that passed does make life easier for those with a CHL (LTC) in that if you firearm gets exposed it is no longer a problem.

The practical portion of the class was at the gun shprange where I got my 4595 and they have really expanded the range. They now have both pistol and rifle (100yds) and they allow FMJ ammo so I might be going there some more as most ranges around me do not allow FMJ.

Now I just need to go on the DPS website and and do the online registration and then get my prints taken.

2. mej24

mej24 Member

Congrats Plano One of the points they pushed home on us was that it was a concealed handgun permit,not a concealed weapons permit. big difference in definition.
    Actually just finished applying for the permit online, now have to wait until December 3 to finalize application. and then just wait..

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Ours is a concealed weapons and not a concealed handgun funny how states are different.

4. planosteve

They covered that the licence does not cover illegal knifes or clubs.

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Congrats Plano!
    In Florida it's a Concealed Weapon License....

6. moona11

ours covers spring loaded knives and such other wise they are illegal to carry here and ninja crap for Kirk :D

7. moona11

How many could you get wrong on the test. Here you have to get 100% on the test. but its open book so.....

8. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Congrats Plano!

They call it a LTCF in PA, don't really care what they call it though as long as it works!!

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Good for you, Steve!

Ours is Like Moonz, it covers any weapon, even switch blades. Of course, if you USE the switchblade in any criminal way, meaning if they decide it wasn't SD, you get charged with carrying a "dangerous weapon", plus the alleged crime you committed with the knife. If you use a legally concealed gun for the crime, you don't get the added weapon charge.:rolleyes:

10. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Congrats! Welcome to the club. Indiana is an open carry state as well.

11. moona11

Same here ajole

12. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Ohio is CCW=Carry Conceal Weapon
    I don't recall any mention of knives?
    I think Ohio is a take the course, not necessary to pass. We graded each others test & the guys paper I scored missed 13 questions & still passed?
    And now to find that right gun & which holster to carry? I don't think anybody has picked the "right" setup the 1st time out? Unless it was a $$$ thing, dictating their decision?

13. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations Steve.

Just to correct two mistakes your instructor told you:

It was never against the law to accidentally have your firearm visible for a brief moment. This was addressed under Texas PC 46.035(a). It was only unlawful if it was done intentionally, not by accident such as reaching or bending to get something.

Knives and clubs are not prohibited from carry by a license holder if done in compliance with Texas PC 46.02(a)(1) or 46.02(a)(2).

In Texas, a forward assisted knife (OTF) is 100% legal and lawful to carry. I carry one all the time, as do my daughters. Here is the one we all carry:

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Lightning-DA-OTF-Automatic-Knife--31662

It's currently out of stock, but there are other styles of the same knife available. They are fast and easy to deploy, and are sharp as heck when you get it. I've given them as gifts to several people and everyone loves them.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Ohio's CCW does not decriminalize otherwise "illegal" weapons, such as switchblades or expanding batons, or weapons which would otherwise be illegal to conceal, such as bowie knives.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

15. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Colorado was CWP up until a couple years ago and they changed it to CHP. Libs just had to make it PC. I hate stupid people :foilhat:

16. planosteve

Sorry, I thought I mentioned illegal knifes or clubs. If they are legal you can carry them. So a full sized K bar would not be legal as the blade is over 4.5 inches.

17. planosteve

Test was not open book, and you had to get an 80 to pass. 25 question test.

18. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Texas PC 46.01 defines what clubs, knives and illegal knives are. Texas PC 46.02 details violations and exceptions applicable to everyone:

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

Anyone can carry a club or illegal knife if it is done under the exceptions in either 46.02(a)(1) or 46.02(a)(2). Additionally, Texas PC 46.02 and 46.03 do not apply to a person carrying a firearm who is licensed to carry. This is exempted under Texas PC 46.15(b)(6). This statute details when PC 46.02 and PC 46.03 are not applicable. The specific portion of 46.15 referenced states:

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun

So, if you have a valid license AND are carrying your handgun you are exempted from both 46.02 and 46.03 in their entirety. I have only met a couple of instructors who know the full PC concerning CHL (LTC). ;)

19. rickm

rickm Member

Our test was a multiple choose on the answers and the 2 that sticks in my head was, 1st one ( If you load a cyclinder what kind of gun are you loading, A. semi, single shot, revolver. 2nd if you load a mag what kind of gun, A revolver, single shot, semi.)

20. planosteve

Thanks for the info Flash, why can't PC just say that in plain language? :thankyou: