Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got to take my .45 to the range to try it out.
I decided to put the Ghost Ring sight on to see if I liked it. It was OK but I think I'll change it back to the open sights & see if I can shoot it any better.
I had ZERO problems with it & was completely pleased with how it handled.
Here's some pics of my targets, all shot at 7 yards with Blazer Brass. I didn't have a lot of ammo or I would have kept shooting it.

This was my first mag & yes I did flinch a bit after that first shot.
You guys who say that the .45 kicks less than the C9 must have fists of steel!!

Next I sighted it in with a rest since it was shooting a little to the left & low.

I figured I had it sighted in pretty good so I tried a couple of mags & discovered that I was hitting to the left so I'll have to work on that.

On my last target I made another adjustment to the sight & my last few rounds found their mark. I was quite pleased!!

Now for the follow-up report on the C9.
My last range trip I had multiple problems with feeding. Well I cleaned it top to bottom & used NO WWB & my feeding problems have stopped......However, I had several light strikes.
Either I messed something up putting it back together(doubtful) or my spring is getting weak. It is the old style spring setup so I'll call HP & see what they have to say. I need a new firing pin for my 995 anyway since I have bent it 3 times now, all my fault for loading mags with the breach open.
I shot a few different brands to check on the feed problem & see how they performed. Here's some pics for you all.
This is Blazer Brass at 10 yards.

And again at 7 yards, a much better grouping but not my best.

This one is PMC bronze at 15 yards & I have to say that I liked this ammo.

Last was some Ultramax 125gr LRN. These are Professional reloads & although they fired fine I had numerous keyholes. Still, the target is TOAST!!!

When I was shooting these targets, Mathew Connovi, a shooting Instructor, came over to ask me about the key holing & why it happened. After chatting about it he looked at the one target & commented that they all hit the mark.

I also shot my Buckmark & continue to have problems with this box of bulk Rem. Golden Bullets. I had about 12 duds & even had 1 case split & jam in the barrel. Also had 2 Rem. Yellow Jackets that where duds. Even their expensive ammo seems to SUCK big time. I think I'll go with CCI when I can afford it.
Here's a pic where I shot at the different bullseyes after each shot. I think I did OK.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Is this your first .45 ? Looking good, keep that lead going down range you will get much better and the hit will be less.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it is my first .45.
I have shot .357 & .44 magnum before but it's been a loooong time & I forgot about that big kick.

I'd shoot more but ammo is scarce & expensive. I'm thinking about reloading so I grabbed all the brass I could at the range.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called HP this morning & talked to the nice lady on the phone(it wasn't Shirley).
I told her about my light strikes & she is going to send me a complete new firing pin/spring set. So I gave her my information & mentioned that I had bent the firing pin on my 995 for the third time & she transfers me to a Tech to talk to.
The Tech explains to me that the most common way the firing pin gets bent are from loading it with the breach open, I says "yep, that's how I did it", and that when pulling back on the charging handle, to make sure that it goes back all the way & locks onto the Sear. If you don't, the firing pin will still be forward when it tries to chamber the next round & the round will push up under the firing pin.

So I'm going to get new firing pin sets for both my C9 & my 995 for absolutely NO COST whatsoever!!!
I'll let you all know when they get here.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well what do you know.
I ordered my parts at 9:45 on the 25th & got them today, sometime before 5pm.

Now that is "Super Service!!"
It will probably take me longer to install the parts than it took for them to ship them to me!!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Nice shoot'n there Capt Cook, Thats some mighty fast customer service makes ya wish every company operated this way

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I put the new firing pins in yesterday.
I took the opportunity to give both guns another cleaning while I was at it.
The C9 was easy but man O man was the 995 dirty!!
Took me about 1.5 hours to take it apart, clean it, replace the firing pin assembly & put it back together.
The firing pin was bent to heck & sort of had a wiggle in it from bending it back into place 3 times.

Really nice service from HP. They even gave me a new slide retainer & roll pin for the C9.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts