Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've given my 995 a thorough evaluation with the original sights and optics (both a scope and red-dot sight).

I've concluded that the original sights were the best choice for me. I found I could maintain sight picture better and acquire targets faster with the factory peep sight. This was especially pronounced while standing and shooting.

The red-dot I tried was an el-cheapo that was the same BSA as the R-D offered by Hi-Point. It was awful in my opinion. I could not get it to shoot to the same place with any consistency. Especially while standing and after moving any.

To be fair, the R-D I used was cheap. A good R-D sight like from Primary Arms, Aimpoint or Eotech would likely have performed better. (Much better I'd wager) (somebody wanna loan me one for testing? :D)

Next I tried A Chinese 4x28 'carbine' scope. This worked well enough. I liked that I could see where my rounds were landing more easily. especially shooting at greater than 100 yards as the blade on the stock front sight would cover the plate on the 200 yard target stand.

I found the time it took to get a good sight picture was just too long for my liking with this scope. Otherwise I thought the scope was decent and would have left it on if I shot mostly from a bench or prone.

Between the stock sights and the 4x28 scope I found little difference in accuracy while shooting at a 15" plate on the 200 yard target stand. With either I could regularly hit that plate on the 200 yard stand.

The above are my opinions and conclusions after firing more than 1500 rounds between the above three configurations. Your experiences may vary.

Thanks for reading.

:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Im just about to the same point. I have the same RD on mine that HP offers and my feelings are just "eehhh" It does ok...but accurate....NO. I might try a good scope and take the same route you did...but who knows

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Those red dots are junk. I have a good one on mine and I like it. I really think the stock sights are pretty good, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
mine came with the 4x scope and I like it. I shoot at 50 - 100 yards never more than that but I use bi-focals and without the scope I have to pick one to be in focus either the target or sights. so with my bad eyesight the little scope works the best for me.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about a getting a 995 soon, so I'm starting to look at opinions.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Happy to help. I'd try different configurations so see what suits the way you shoot.

I like shooting distance. I enjoy the 'practical' carbine style of shooting even more. The open sights work better for me with that style of shooting. Thankfully this carbine will also shoot distance well with the original sights.

Get out there. Put some lead downrange. See what works best for you.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
My 995 came with a TruGlo red dot. I have had inconsistent results with it so I am also about to remove the RD and replace with a 4x scope. My eyes need the help at 50yds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts