Toro Snowblower Carb Question

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by histed, Oct 20, 2020.

1. histed

histed Supporting Member

Yesterday I checked out my Toro snowblower to make sure it would start if/when I actually need it. Put fresh gas in it, checked the oil and hit the electric start. Couple of cranks and ... "Bring the Thunder!" It started up just fine. Let it run a few minutes till the engine got hot, then shut it down. This morning I found fresh gas on the floor. It seems to be coming from the bottom of the brass cover on the carb. I checked - both of the 10mm bolts are tight, but it just keeps dripping. Neither of the bolts has ever had a washer, so now I'm buffaloed. This never happened before, even when the needle vale would plug with varnish and I had to strip it down. Lots of "cam heads" here, so any help would be appreciated. Hate to take it ot a small engine shop!

2. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Is that the one with the fuel bowl under the carb? If so, the bowl gasket might be shot.

3. I'm in Dallas. What's a blowsnower?

HPD855, moona11, adam01364 and 3 others like this.
  4. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    +1
    Do this first DAWG

histed likes this.
  5. undeRGRound

INDY
    Google it :rotfl:

Edknn likes this.
  6. histed

histed Supporting Member

Yes - brass fuel bowl with two bolts in it. So simple I should have thought of it. Makes perfect sense. I'll check that tomorrow. Could it really be that simple!?

No one like you and your soup tastes like old socks - so I've been told

7. histed

histed Supporting Member

Why? That's what Rach and the other motor experts are for. I could watch hours of motor-mouths on utoob or get a real answer here

8. undeRGRound

INDY
    Don't get offended Dawg...
    I was talking to Soup Nazi

lklawson, moona11 and histed like this.
  9. undeRGRound

INDY
    Just do what Rach said, 99% chance he's right.

10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

With Rach on this one.
    I’m guessing the bowl was empty and the seal dried out.
    To stop it from varnishing up you ran it out of gas right?

undeRGRound and histed like this.
  11. histed

histed Supporting Member

Yes - after running some Lucas ethanol treatment through it. Probably should use Purgas, but that's expensive

12. Rachgier

Don't. Just run it until it's out of fuel or store it with a stabilizer. Never hurts to fire it up once a month and let it run for a while. Keeps things lubed up and moving freely.

13. I had a business trip to Dallas during the late fall, and was shocked to discover frost on my rental one morning. Had to use my credit card as a scraper. Frigging roads were slick as heck and y'all can't drive for shit when that happens.

On a separate note, in the next ten days or so I'll be heading up to mAssachoo$hitz. Firing up the snowblowing equipment and making sure it's all operational is on my long list of things to do once I'm up there.

lklawson, moona11 and histed like this.
  14. histed

histed Supporting Member

Why not use the ethanol cleaner? Or did you mean Purgas? Again, why? Starting it once a month or so makes sense

15. Rachgier

Its expensive as hell and not cost effective. We had dozens of pieces of small engine equipment at the fire station. Everything on the rigs got fired up at every shift change, but the back up equipment: saws, pumps, gens, etc got left with full tanks and run once a month. We found that stabilizer was more cost and functionally effective for the back up equipment. We also had access to non-ethanol high octane fuel for our on-board fuel cans.

lklawson and histed like this.
  16. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

@histed Ethanol fuel or cleaner is NOT good for small engine hoses and gaskets. Use unleaded fuel and some good stabilizer. I like Sea Foam the very best! Works great in Pressure Washer, Garden Tractor, and Snow Blower. Year in and year out.
    And my Chain Saw.

HPD855, undeRGRound, ajole and 2 others like this.
  17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Stop using ethanol.

18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Yep real gas and seafoam. I top it off and leave it full year round.

OldOutlaw likes this.
  19. Trendsetter, I am.

undeRGRound and histed like this.
  20. We'll get a hard freeze once or twice a winter and maybe snow once. We once had 2" on Christmas Day and the city went nuts. For real people out here have no clue how to drive in weather. Any bit of snow or a freeze will paralyze the Metroplex. Then it melts and slush and sand is everywhere. I have AWD so I just drive to work then bitch about everybody else who can't seem to make it.

undeRGRound, lklawson and histed like this.