Training day

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by moona11, Jun 23, 2015.

1. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Today we finally got to do our training in for PPCT, weapons retention, oc, baton training and Sim training. The guy I thought I got to beat on was a no show. So the Redman was a buddy. Each time he obeyed my commands and played down with out a shot or baton strike. So boring. :-( but on the plus side I couldn't breath but didn't faint. Lots of sitting down. This sucks that's the best training and didn't get to smack anyone.

2. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

One could always join the SCA and become a ~

"Stick Jock!"*

Just saying...

eldar

*the ultimate sado-masochistic sport available in America (Unless You count being Kirk's uke).

3. moona11

I could join kirks murderous bunch but after he beat on me. I would have to reclaim my honor and shoot him in both knees with a P11 out of respect for his mod status on TKOG. ;-)

4. moona11

Picked up my middle kid from swim camp today at UND 20 miles out front passenger tire blows out at 79. Scared the crap out of use as a semi comes right up behind us. I get the tire changed and can't find why the tire blew. Got to Fargo and have Costco put a new one on. He looks at it and then the rest of the tires. All where installed wrong and broke the belts in the tires they are 3 years old. Anyone of them could of gone at any time. Sh!t I was thinking this could of happened in the winter on ice and we would of been screwed. So 4 tires later we drive the last hundred miles through pouring rain. Glad I got new tires. That asshat that put those tires could of killed someone. We are going to have a little talk on Monday :-[

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Wrong....how? And how does that break belts?:confused:

I've heard of unidirectional wrong way round, but this one is new.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  6. moona11

The guy that installed them machine must of had a burr or bent peace on tire guide thingy it sliced through the rubber and steel while putting the tire on the rims. It also explains why I was losing air in them. I checked the rims and they where fine. But you could see the cuts after the tires where off. And no it wasn't a new cut.

7. Fargo... as in the movie? I saw that. Really strange... I liked it, but then, I like Steve Buscemi. Go ahead, tell me there is something wrong with me lol

Glad you're OK!!!

8. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The mini-series on FX was awesome. Ol' Billy Bob Thornton played a good sociopath.

9. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Buscemi is awesome!

10. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

I'm with ajole on this one...

How does one put tires on the rim incorrectly?

I've watched tires being remounted on my rims several hundred times and they come off and go on the same way.

And, if there was something wrong with the machine (burr that cuts the tire?) that tire place wouldn't be in business long.

Puzzled eldar

11. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

Been mounting tires in my garage for a decade now and you can't really put them on wrong. Car radial tires will seat the bead very easily, especially with the machine. The only thing i can think of is if your rims are starting to deteoriate then maybe that's not allowing the tire to seat fully. Auto tires, being tubeless, usually don't have a huge issue beading up.

atv and offroad tires can be a pia to get mounted but typically, car tires aren't that bad. I truly hope the guy who told you "your tires were mounted wrong", didn't slip a fast one on ya, lol. You can't really mount them wrong unless you mount them backwards or don't get them fully seated. Typically if a radial tire isn't fully seated it just won't hold air and would likely have a wobble to it.

If the previous mechanic broke the belts installing them, that would be quite a feat. Most of the time when I see a belt break it's due to over inflation. If you went 3 years without needing to ad air very often, then the tires were likely installed just fine. If you ran too much psi for too long you will snap a belt and sometimes throw the entire tread out.

CAn't beat the feeling of new tires though!

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

According to moona, apparently the tires were damaged by the machine while being mounted, cutting the tires.

www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f276/training-day-314846/#6

13. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Anything on a tire machine capable of cutting both rubber AND steel would be immediately noticed!

Unless, the guy mounting the tires has it in for You.

eldar

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Maybe the guy wasn't all that competent. I know you must have seen it before. Incompetent, or dumb, or hung over, or poorly trained, or whatever. It shouldn't happen, but I've seen things slip through that should have been caught. I don't know why it couldn't happen with mounting tires. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

When I was stationed at Miramar NAS one of the tire guys inflated a main mount tire outside the safety cage. It failed catastrophically and killed him. Investigation determined that cracks in several of the bolts that hold the 2 sides of the rim together caused the failure. But he was still blamed as he did not follow the safety prcedures.

16. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Because of liability.

Going to jail because YOUR improper mounting will put one into jail for a long, long time. Especially if someone dies.

Incompetence will close a shop very quickly; dumb will lose a finger or thumb; hung over... may work slowly but, I don't see someone mounting all FOUR tires improperly.

As for a bad part, especially on a tire mounting machine, that will be obvious the first time you mount the tire.

The odds are against all four tires.

This had to have been maliciousness.

eldar

17. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Back when I was young and dumb, I over inflated a bicycle tire and had it explode in my face (chicks love scars) knocking my glasses into the next county (still saved my eyes) and wrapping the steel wire around the rim around my neck.

Too much pressure is a dangerous thing.

eldar

18. rippinryno

mounted improperly or showing incisions similar to what a bolt cutter would do? I suppose if the bead on the tire was literally cut so that it actually tore it could cause a tire to fail, but not likely causing a blowout. it would usually cause a slow leak or maybe even a fast leak to make the tire flat. I can't imagine that a tire machine actually ripped the bead that bad.

19. moona11

I got the car from my cousins girlfriend. Her uncle put the tires on he works at the Toyota dealership. Talked with him today. He put them on 3 years ago. And the machine was fuc#k up they had to replace the part. He said they didn't catch ur right way and had to replace a lot of tires. He forgot about hers when they called the other people as he did after hours and didn't have a record of it. Dude felt real bad about it. With the tire mounted you could see the slice made. You had to take it off the rim to see it. At least no one was hurt from any of the tires they mounted on any of the vehicles. Mine was the only one that got missed.

20. rippinryno

man that would eqaute to a lawsuit from hell.