Transportation Options for Motorcyclists

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by menhir, Jun 27, 2015.

1. menhir

menhir Member

I head out West at least once per year on my motorcycle and the good news is, as of this year, my PA CCW is legal in all states along my route...except Illinois.

In previous years, I was legal, illegal, legal, illegal etc, as I crossed the country...so things are improving.

Here's the question: When touring/camping on a motorcycle packing space is at a premium. When riding through Illinois (I never stop in that state except for gas...I just don't want the hassle) I know that my best legal option is to lock my pistol in a case, separate from the ammunition. But the hard plastic lockable case my gun came in is a bit bulky.

Would one of those small cloth pistol cases with a zipper lock satisfy the state requirements? Nothing I've read has been definitive, so I figgered I'd ask around. :)

2. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

If you don't do anything silly to get yourself pulled over, how would anyone even know that you were packin'?

3. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

when I travel, I have two harbor fright ammo cans in my saddlebags, $6 each, watertight. When in a communist state, I wrap the gun in a terrycloth, same with the mags. Place each one in seperate ammo can.
    In one ammo can is some first aid supplies and emergency rations, the other has emergency tools, I just stuff the guns parts on top............nice and easy

4. menhir

menhir Member

This is me we're talking about. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm not prone to silly antics, but I've been stoopid from time to time. :blush: ...And sometimes a person just runs into some bad luck.

I'm not trying to flaunt the local laws just because I don't agree with them. It ain't my state. I'm just trying to find a legal solution that takes up a minimum amount of space and fuss. I want to have room left over in the saddlebags for souvenirs.

I think maybe I'm going to nip on over to the local sporting goods store and get a pistol rug case and a small lock and then....

Ride through Illinois as inconspicuously as I can. :D

5. sdbrit68

sometimes on a motorcycle, you just cant help silly antics, I mean, the throttle is in your right hand, and it just twists

6. menhir

menhir Member

I just went to their website and found the ammo boxes.

A confession: Finally, over a year ago, a Harbor Freight store opened up less the 8 miles away and yet, I've never gotten around to going there.

Over a year. :eek:

If I don't get there soon, I'll have to turn in my man card.

I might as well pick up a couple of those ammo boxes while I'm at it. :)

7. sdbrit68

They work great, and they have a way to lock them for the commie states.

If you make it to socal let me know

8. Tyler-Durden77

Tyler-Durden77 Member

Illinois is really not that picky about the case. I have brought guns home from the LGS in nothing more that a plastic bag. My standard range bag is a standard back pack, the more expensive pistols I put into a soft case (just so they don't get scratched up) the pistols that can take a little abuse are left in their holsters and dropped in the bottom with the mags and spare ammo. Just make sure that the gun is unloaded and you should be just fine with a soft zipper case.

9. Asher1

Asher1 Member

IL changed its laws a while back, your now allowed to keep a loaded gun in your car, just not on you. It doesn't have to be unloaded and separated like it use to... But don't quote me in that, look it up (law changed sometime last year). Now on a motorcycle your on different ground and I don't know what you need to do, but at worst case you will just have to put it in one of your luggage bags, but shouldn't have to worry about locking or unloading...

10. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

In Idaho, you can just Open Carry! :rofl:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. menhir

menhir Member

What I find strange is, when I'm on a motorcycle I think the very safest place to transport my firearm would be on my person...

...But the law requires that I leave it in a saddlebag where any two-pit punk can easily get to it whenever I stop at a mini mart for a snack and a tinkle.*

I don't understand the logic, so obviously, the politicians there are much deeper thinkers than I am. :rolleyes:

*To be on the safe side, I'll just hold it until I get to Iowa. :blush:

12. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

I'm sort of the opposite, in the event of an off the last thing I want to land on is a hard lumpy object that's pressed against me already. But then again I'm a dualsport rider so it's more of a hazard to us than say the beemer or goldwing croud. Don't usually carry when I ride unless I know I'm going into a bad area, or doing an overnight out in the woods somewhere.

On the overnight trips I have a small pelican case bolted underneath my luggage rack where it doesn't take away any "useable" space where I keep my beretta .22 for snakes and coyotes and such.

Don't have a pic of the case mounted but it's just under the rack I built.

[​IMG]

What kind of bike is it? any pics? May help with ideas.

13. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

unless you have a ccw permit for illinois, it is not legal to have a loaded gun in your car.

14. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

In prison terms its called a keister stash

[​IMG]

15. menhir

menhir Member

Bingo. I camp when I tour.

16. menhir

menhir Member

I guess it would solve the problem of where to keep the gun during rest stops.

"Excuse me, I've got to take a pistol."

:D

17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Secure it unloaded going though the commie state stay way from Chicago and you'll be fine. If you go through MN be careful to. The laws are tricky there to. Most LEOs won't bust your balls if your not showing colors or being an ass except near the big cities. In ND HP's are to busy busting Canadians and MN drivers :-D

18. rippinryno

motorcycles in the topic, here's me on the old dr200, 15hp of pure fury!

Attached Files:

19. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

I've been thinking about getting another scary bike, like my old cr500 or a kx500....but now that you bring up the little dr...hmm.
    :D

20. rippinryno

I picked this up on a trade. I work on atvs and bikes as a hobby. I'm also race atvs. Flat track and tt. This particular dr I traded a 400ex that I picked up for $600. Put another 400 in the motor to get it solid then traded it for the dr. I plan to ride it for the summer then sell it next spring. I've got a few toys at all times. 2 of them I've had for years and may never get rid of lol