Trapped in my vehicle

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by shadow460, Nov 21, 2014.

1. shadow460

shadow460 Member

Before I get started, tonight's EDC included an older CF 380, steel toes, and a switchblade.
    This evening my wife and I had gotten to our vehicle after eating out. I unlocked the doors, but instead of getting inside, she walked over to another SUV that was partly blocking us from backing out. She asked the driver to move but he got an attitude.
    I went to condition orange as soon as she walked towards the other vehicle. I saw her step back and the vehicle suddenly jerked forward. It jockeyed around until it was facing our vehicle directly. My wife climbed inside our truck.
    At that point I thought that the other vehicle could easily have trapped mine in the parking lot.
    Had this happened, I would have had to approach the other driver and ask him to move. I know this could have resulted in violence. My wife and I were both wearing comfortable shoes, but I doubt I could have run away.
    If they had trapped our vehicle, what would be the correct response? Should we have left our vehicle and tried to run to safety or should I have approached the other vehicle and risked a violent encounter? Should we have simply stayed in our own vehicle, called the police, and waited?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    I would have stayed in the vehicle, locked the doors and waited. Maybe a honk on my horn, to let them know I was waiting to get out. But your wife being outside the vehicle and confronting a stranger puts you and her at risk. When you carry a gun, dont go looking for a fight, shooting somebody is the last thing you want to do.

3. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

stay in the vehicle and dial 911 to report a road rage

4. colthrash

colthrash Member

always call for help as soon as possible. that being said you handled it in the manner that was correct for you. do an after action report to your self and adjust as needed...

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So the guy got an attitude...but he moved to let you out?

I don't see the problem.

6. shadow460

shadow460 Member

In the end, the other vehicle stayed put. After we got in our vehicle, I asked my wife if she was wearing comfortable shoes. We actually discussed running away. In that time, the other vehicle did not move, though it was still facing us.
    I drew my gun and placed it on the floor where I could get to it if needed, then I backed slowly out of the place I'd parked in.
    I was thinking if we'd been blocked in, the best thing to do would be to draw both primary and backup weapons, then call 911. Oklahoma's stand your ground law allows anyone licensed or not, to use deadly force to defend themselves in a stopped motor vehicle. It's stated specifically in the now modified Firearms Act of 1971 and our Stand Your Ground laws. It would have been possible for both of us to be armed while we waited for the police to arrive.
    I am going to start backing into my parking places all the time. That would have prevented this situation completely.

7. shadow460

shadow460 Member

My wife told me he'd gotten an attitude with her. I believe her. I could hear the guy's engine race and I saw his truck literally jump forward as if he'd slammed it into drive and stomped the gas. He circled around to where he was facing my truck as if to rear end it, and he waited. We didn't know if he was going to move up and block us in. He didn't, but the whole point of this thread is to find out what I should have done if he did.

8. What?

What? Huh? Member

AZ
    What's done is done. Glad you, the wife and others are out of the situation without any further harm.

I dont completely understand the scenario but my first reaction is safety for the wife. Whatever scenario works best to keep her safe.

On side note, I have and always will, open/close door for the lady/ladies. So regardless the situation, they will be in vehicle and I always make sure they do NOT particpate any situation may to come.

9. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Perhaps the guy was waiting for you to leave so that he could take that parking space?

I think it was foolish to draw your weapon. You were not in a "Life Threatening" situation. If you would have approached the other guy while he was still in his truck, you are the one that would have been the aggressor and at fault. Especially after you stating that there 'would be violence'.

People need to remember that a license to carry a firearm is not a license to be Rambo.

10. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

The best thing I read, dont do anything with a gun, you would not do without.......if you were not armed, would your wife have confronted the guy ?

If not, then you have some thinking to do, the best use of a weapon is to never have to use it. Unless the guy approached my vehicle, I would not have drawn a weapon

11. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

the only mistake in this entire scenario was on the part of your wife

12. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

And I wouldn't put the gun on the floor either.
    If you accelerate, brake or if your car gets his it could slide into a place where you can't find it anymore.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Apparently you are not confident in your draw technique. If I am driving the Moose (Mustang) the floor would be the worst spot for my weapon, of any type ;)
    If I am in the Excursion-type vehicle, still not as accessible as my pocket/holster/etc.
    For you, a console mounted holster comes to mind... Possibly?

Not picking at you, just some observations. ;) I might be all wet! :eek:

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So you weren't actually blocked in and, even after he moved, you still had room to back out and leave.

So the problem was that the other driver was just acting passive-aggressive?

Ignore him. Back out. When he gives you a dirty look that says, "hey, you almost nearly got close to my SUV!" continue ignoring him and drive on to your destination. That's EXACTLY what I did in a similar situation this last Sunday, only it was in a gas station and the other guy was in a shiny Lexis.

Seriously, why screw around with a guy that might be late for his court mandated Anger Management class?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

"Because I'm armed" :p

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Shooting someone, or even throwing them on their head, creates a lot of hassle. It's not worth it unless they're actually threatening my life. I've got better things I can be doing like taking a nap or surfing HPFF.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    LOl....some people are too sensitive, what ever happen to having manners and asking nicely when you need something. Dont assume everyone wants to kick your a%^&^

18. beaglenc

beaglenc Member

If retreat is an option, it is what you do. Alert retreat, planned retreat, angry and retreat, confused and retreat..did I say retreat?
    The moment my "security circle" includes others, even if they are armed also, I am aware of the how's, where's, and what's involved of getting me and mine out.
    Agree with not putting the firearm on the floor.
    It is a really good thing to go back over these kinds of situations and disecting them. There is always something to learn and do better no matter what took place how well we think we did.
    Hate parking lots.

19. shadow460

shadow460 Member

Yes, she would have.

20. shadow460

shadow460 Member

I've given that some thought. I don't know if there's one that can hold different handguns, or if they have sleeves matched to the particular weapon. It would give me a place to put my weapon while I'm driving. Usually I just leave it in the IWB holster when I'm behind the wheel.