Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently switched from an inpatient physical therapy job, to a traveling home physical therapy job that requires me to drive my blazer to my patients' homes. i'm averaging about 100 miles per day. i am not allowed to carry a firearm on my companies property, and bringing a firearm in a patients' home is a no no, but carrying "legally" in your vehicle is your choice.

in the past, i've always kept my c9 in my ghb with about 100 rds of ammo, and that is when my job was located about 12 miles from my house, and i was stationary. now i'm traveling, i'm wondering if i should change my choice of firearm, and here are some of the things i'm dealing with:

some visits are located on the outskirts of the town
most visits are usually around 30 miles from my house, which is my bug in location.
lately, there has been an increased in robberies in the town my company is located.
jobs are really scarce in my area, and my company continues to tell us to keep our eyes open, and we are allowed to determine "what is safe for us."
potential threatening animals.. man, dogs, and whatever types of animals that are usually around farms in wooded areas.
finally, racial tension is high in my area, and i'm worried about both sides erupting into violence.

i love my c9, but i'm worried that may not be enough if somethings happen, and i need to get home, especially, if i can't use my blazer. from my house to my job, there are a couple of small towns, and lots of land. some are farms, or what use to be farms. i have a glock 21 (.45acp), 20inch barrel maverick, and a marlin 30-30. i sold my 995, and now i'm thinking it would be great to have it back. if you were in my shoes, what would you suggest. also, i have a ghb bag with clothes, food, and water, do you suggest adding anything else? this weekend, i plan to get a fuel can and add so more supplies for my truck, like oil, coolant, and a better system to change a flat tire.

in the past, i've gotten some great advice from this forum, and would like to hear your feedback, especially from anyone who spends time on the road.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think I would go with a pistol... either one should be fine, but do you have extra magazines for both? Having 100 rounds in your bag would work a lot better if you have a couple of extra magazines already loaded and ready to go. I think a long gun, while giving you better ranger and accuracy, would only tend to draw attention to you, which you might want to avoid in that situation.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gtv.. i have 3 mags for my c9 and 2 13rds for my glock. right now, i'm leaning towards the glock because of hi round mags, and because it's a .45acp.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That is probably the way I would go, also. Hard to argue with 26 rounds of .45 ACP

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
where I live it's peaceful & quiet, you can almost hear the angels singing... but from what I read: they say if TSHTF a pistol is best. And imo the bigger the better, I love my JHP, but if you've got a Glock in .45 I'd go with that.

But, again it's peaceful round here, the closest thing to social unrest we have is when someone cusses in the check-out at Wal-Mart :gasp!:

I'd be curious what ya decide.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
guys,

right now, the obvious answer seems to be the .45acp. i'm going to add another mag (13rd) or 2.

if something ever happens, i will have to travel the state hwy to get home. it's odd, but i see myself as a walking target with or w/o a firearm. although i can discreetly carry the glock, my appearance screams, "not from this area." if i chose my marlin or shotgun, "i'm the nut walking, who is not from this area.." being safe, and getting home is my number priority, and if possible staying low key, if that is possible.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hmmm... that's a tough one. Walking down the interstate screams "target." Walking down the interstate with a rifle screams "psycho". I guess if it is SHTF though, I would rather be the "psycho" than the "target". How many rounds does that 30-30 hold? 8? Six in the shotty? You might still be better off with the Glock and a pocket full of mags.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm... that's a tough one. Walking down the interstate screams "target." Walking down the interstate with a rifle screams "psycho". I guess if it is SHTF though, I would rather be the "psycho" than the "target". How many rounds does that 30-30 hold? 8? Six in the shotty? You might still be better off with the Glock and a pocket full of mags.
30-30 will hold 6 rds (16.5 barrel) and 7 shells in the shotgun. the glock with extra mags seems to be the way to go, plus my c9 w/an extra mag.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
i think the .45 idea has merit over long guns. If it's just car trouble you might have more trouble fm LE :cool2: than fm bad guys if ya walk down hwy at night w/a shooting stick over your shoulder. And if its shtf time the local LE might have orders to seize anything militant-looking, while they might wink & turn a blind-eye to a fat spot in the small of your back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts