traxx pins are in

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by sdbrit68, Mar 31, 2015.

1. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

Received my pins from smithing solutions, took all of 2 minutes to take the gun apart, tap the screw holes, and put back together. Took it apart and reassembled a few times.

Much better take down, still have to have a tool, but, I dont have to bang out anything, just a few turns of a screw. Not worth the $23 cost, but now I know what they are, I am going to try and find where to order them from a supply house, just need to figure out the actual size. You get two pins and a tap when ordering

Attached Files:

2. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

With the tap,, it should have the thread size printed on it,, in either SAE or Metric..

If not you could take the spare to Home Depot or Lowes,, ACE,, Tractor Supply,, or such place,, they all have thread guages,, in SAE or Metric that you screw into til you find the correct size,, then measure to the correct length

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    That us actually an Allen head cap screw, not the Traxxas Pins...
    But those are much easier to find, also. Price? You got "screwed" ;)
    But I would recommend buying like a hundred of the cap screws,
    and 50 taps, and selling them to all of us! Screw "Smithing Solutions" :D

4. sdbrit68

I was wondering about that, have to make sure the pin part also is the right length.

5. sdbrit68

yeah, I agree, but, I figure at the end of the day, I got what I wanted........so spent a few bucks.....lol

6. bluharley

bluharley Member

Are you going to tell use what size it is?

7. I tried to order just the screw pins from Smith Thing and they invoiced me for the kit @ $23.00. His response to my original e mail stated that "extra" pins were available @ $5.00 each.
    I specified in my e mail response that I wanted JUST the screw pins and NOT the tap or allen since I have both.

They cancelled the invoice and did not reply to two follow up e mails again asking again for ONLY the screw pins.

I guess they are as GREEDY as I am CHEAP !

With all that being said, I am looking forward to hearing what the thread size and length of the pin are so I can try and source these.

Thanks to all for the help

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  8. sdbrit68

Satch, pm me an address, my second pin will be out to you tomorrow

9. PM inbound

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !

10. bluharley

bluharley Member

Maybe someone will divulge the secret size, so the rest of us don't have to pay $23 for two screws.

11. thundercroozer

thundercroozer Supporting Member

Satch,,, I would feel very comfortable saying that they are far more greedy than you are cheep:) At $5.00 for 1 Allen Head set screw is a little much,, its been a few since i've bought any,, but I couldn't see one costing more than $1.00

12. sdbrit68

Length including set screw is 15mms........the tap is 8-32 I believe that means the ones on eBay the 4mm by 15mm will work

13. bluharley

bluharley Member

Thanks! Since the original slotted pin is 19mm, that leaves 4mm+ not supported, and with the material loss due to tapping, I wonder if it weakens the entire support to an undesirable level. Maybe not, but I think I'll leave things just as they are.

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    The key here is to use a thread size (metric or SAE) that easily threads into the existing holes, and of course you don't want it to stick out and rub the slide. Perhaps a bit inset in the polymer...

15. Mark
    I got the pin in todays mail.
    Thank you very much!
    PM inbound.

16. sdbrit68

wow..........how the heck did it take that long ?