Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boots generally get the shit kicked out of them. They get covered in mortar and cement and block dust. Then get romped through the mud, and just generally abused. Every single year the leather cracks so bad that I can see my socks through them and keeping the wet out isn't even an option any more.

So I ordered next years boots, they are the same as always. Carolina's with the comfortable sole and all leather construction. But do you think if I treated them with motor oil or Vaseline or some type of petroleum they would hold up better? Usually I have enough time to spray them off after work, but I don't want to spend every night cleaning and polishing them, any one have some tricks for keep your boots soft and waterproof?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ive been wearing Bates boots for the last 11 years, clean them and use Kiwi boot polish to keep them in good shape. Run it over them every few weeks and wipe off the excess. My soles wear our before the leather ever does. Oldest useable pair is about 6 years old. They are the last pair I had while in the service so I dont wear them an more but there in great shape. Kiwi is cheap and easy to use and most stuff wipes off if the boot is often wiped down with the Kiwi.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mink oil once a week does the trick for me. ten minutes and makes the boots last 2-3x as long.

SW
I've tried that stuff, it holds up for a few hours but by the end of the day you wouldn't even know it was there.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Sno-Seal for waterproofing, and it helps to keep the boots lasting longer.

·
Banned
19,446 Posts
mink oil once a week does the trick for me. ten minutes and makes the boots last 2-3x as long.

SW
I've tried that stuff, it holds up for a few hours but by the end of the day you wouldn't even know it was there.
then you arent using enough. it saoks into the leather as time goes by. your boots should be shiny and greasy when you are done applying it.

in your case NOTHING may save your boots from the tough enviroemnt they reside in.

SW

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to try regular old gear oil on them. Give them a few good soakings.

The reason I got the idea for a petroleum product is because we had a diesel hose break at work early this week. And when dried my boots out last night the diesel I spilled all over them was actually still there, and they had a tough week, lots of cement dust and water.

However the boots I own are so cracked up there is no saving them anyway, so I wanted to maybe try for two years out of a pair instead of one year. At 100 bucks a pair that adds up to quite a bit over time.

·
Banned
19,446 Posts
the only problem with diesel, gear oil etc is the corrosive detergents that are in the oil, they are hard on leather. you may want to try a natural oil like canola or peanut oil first. plus both of those are good for your skin whereas deisel or gear oil will irritate them something fierce.

SW

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
wd 40. im a service tech for a well drilling company...my boots are wet, and covered with iron, manganize, or bentonite all day every day....i spray them off with water when i get home, and totally soak them in WD 40 twice a week. im on year two with the same boots.....some threads are popping out, but the leather is just scuffed....but other wise undamaged....and damn near water proofed, LOL

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
yep sno seal is the way to go :yes:...
all of my doc's have been treated. one pair is 11 years old, best pair of boots i have. :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
+ 50,000,000,000 that is the best stuff out there, bar freaking none. I've got it on every leather shoe I own from golf shoes to work boots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts