Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a used tree stand from someone and was wanting some opinions on the type that I'm looking at before I got it. It's a climber, but it faces the tree. When you're sitting in it, you're facing the tree. I had never seen any like it until he told me about it. I looked them up online and it seems that every major tree stand maker has one like it. What are the advantages/disadvantages of it? An advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
They've been around forever and get the job well. Facing the tree is good and bad, I like them because you have less profile exposed and you have an excellent shooting brace if you're gun hunting. However if you bow hunt, they are not the best way to go. Also, you kinda lose a little of your sight radius due to the tree blocking your vision. I have both styles and use them interchangeably. FWIW, I prefer climbing in those that face the tree, just seems easier for whatever reason.

Also MODS, could we get this moved to somewhere it might get more traffic?

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Then you're good to go. Just remember to strap in, don't you falling on your head after you nail that 8 pt :D

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Personally, I can't stand a climber where I am facing the tree, it drives me nuts! I guess one of the reasons is that a deer isn't gonna climb the tree with me, so why should I be looking at the bark all day? Turn me around and let me see the ground.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it today and tried it in the back yard. It's not as bad as I thought it would be. The tree doesn't block as much of your field of vision as you would think. After about 5 minutes, you almost forget about the tree in front of you.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
The years I was hunting I never used one. I was taught to stay on the ground, mainly sit by some trees on a small rise. Worked for me most of the time. Of course back then we had our flintlocks and had to watch out for them pesky ******. :grinwink:

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have used tree stands before, never one facing a tree tuo. Their not bad but I like a blind best.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Since I am terrified of heights, I'll give a big +1 on the blind. I make a tipi out of two pieces of camoflage burlap that you can get at Wal-Mart, and three 6' wooden stakes driven into the ground with a piece of wood connecting each stake to the other at gun height. Wrap the burlap around the stakes so that you have a gap between the pieces of burlap to see out of, put in something to sit on (I use an old computer chair, it is easier to swivel around in and is pretty quiet), and you are good to go. The burlap gives you concealment, keeps the wind off of you (and helps trap your scent inside, too), since it tapers together at the top, it keeps you from getting rain / snow on you, and the piece of wood connecting the poles gives you a good rest for your rifle, with 360 degrees of view. Since we hunt our own property, we set it up weeks in advance so as to allow the deer to get used to it being there.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Mornin sharkhunter,
I find where the deer trails are and build blinds round them. I enjoy buildin em. If you look hard, you can see the twine I used to tie everything up with.
A ,, B ,,, C ,,,
But ya got to watch the deer round, their sneaky.

And a story.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
if i make a blind i used material i found on site so it blends in with the natural sourroudings. weeds, brnaches, thistles etc. i never bought a man made blind as they dont fit in with most of my surrondings except for on eor two weeks a year when the colors are just right.

SW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts