Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up folks. Just bought my JHP 45 ACP yesterday at a gun show. My first handgun, but I've shot all of my pop's vast collection as a youth. I havent had it out to shoot yet, but I thought I'd share a little gunmetal eyecandy with you guys. Heres some pics of my Rem 870. I have home defense/zack elimination in mind ( I noticed that I'm supposed to keep the zombie topics in the lounge and not survival...bummer.) Hope you like it.

The little rounds i picked up yesterday. They come in slug and 7 shot double ought. With my plug extension I can fit 13 at a time with one in the chamber if I choose. (They don't like to cycle perfect all the time though, so if anyone has a suggestion other than not using them.)

I'm gonna try to get to the range on tuesday and start breaking my 45 in. Nice to meet everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I will give you a little help with the pics. You should have left an empty line between each of the pic addys, IE.

(IMG}imageaddy(/img)

(IMG)imagaddy(/img)

BTW, how well do those short shotgun shells work in a pump?

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I tried to fix the pics in the OP, but I couldn't get them to work. I have no idea why, but I can't get the pics to show.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info on the pics. The small shells seem to work alright most of the time. For some reason it seems like you have to have the right rythm to make them cycle properly. I havent been out firing them yet. I'm interested to see how much oomph they have.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Nice 870 jackpot. Hats off on a great Bad Guy Gitter

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I want more info on the small 12ga ammo... PM or open forum, I've gotta get some.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Yeah my question is like my Mossberg 500 shotty. It will hold 5 - 2 3/4 inch shells in the tube

Would it hold 7 or 8 of the short shells and cycle? That woud make it worth it to me, cause its a short bbl close up weapon anyway.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it will hold 5 2 3/4 I think it will hold 9-10 or +. My plug holds 6 and I can get 13 in. The only issue I have is reliability on cycling. I'm sure it can be overcome, I just need to figure out whats causing it to goof. Where should we start a thread on this?

·
1,792 Posts
Well, When you figure out how to get it to cycle the shorts reliably let ME KNOW.

As for the Shorts. WERE DID you get them???????

were could a guy like me get them???????

I think a few of us want to know............

I think you have statrted a great thread my man.

PS welcome. And the Shotty is a hotty. However I think you got trumped by them little shells. :p:)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got them at the gunshow. The brand was Aguila.

Heres there site, its under maintanence.
http://www.aguilaammo.com/

I found the page on the shells.
http://www.aguilaammo.com/minishells.htm

And it also adressing the cycling issue. It says my remington needs a modification to elevator.

And here is the modification instructions. SHAZAAM
http://www.aguilaammo.com/minishells_shotgun_mods.htm

And I know this sounds crazy now, but I'm thinking of using the slugs in a "Hellboy" size revolver. Just my two cents.

·
1,792 Posts
You are the "F"in man. Thank you. That is looking out.

Totally awesome. This is how you make an newer member stick out like a champ.

Thank you for the info. I am sure many more people will be checking this out.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
So what's the ballpark investment on the Remy 870 as it sits there? I know that stock and forend set goes for $45 to $70, the sidesaddle is maybe $20 - $30... Did you get the shotty new or used? What other goodies have you got on there?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
$265 new.
18" barrel $120
stock and forend set were $60
Plug extension $30
side saddle $20
Heat shield/Ghost sight $20

Probably cost more to put it together than to get a tac one already setup, but I had fun doing it, and I can always convert it back for hunting and such.

But it does look like a bad mofo.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I'm trying to figure out why these dont cycle exactly right. Heres what I'm seeing.

1. Drawing back the pump, the shell pops out of plug and launches to the back of the carrier. This works fine 95%of the time. The small shells seem to jump to the back and cause the carrier to bind if done very slowly. At normal speed I have very few problems with this.

2. Moving the shell up. As you push the pump foreward the carrier lifts the shell up into position to be pushed into the barrel. Heres where the problem lies. The carrier begins to drop back down too soon. Due to the shortened length these shells have not had the front end inserted into the barrel before the elevator drops back down (allowing the shell to drop with it, also allowing another shell from the plug to eject leaving you with two shells resting on the carrier). In a 2 3/4" shell they are partially inserted into the barrel before the carrier drops back down and the barrel acts as a guide while the breech bolt completes the seating into the barrel.

3. Ejection. This works find. It only fails if done very very slowly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.