Tried a new range over the weekend

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by clickclick, Dec 15, 2014.

1. I usually go to the very nice indoor range that is 10 minutes away from my house...Freestate Gun Range.
    But...
    Yesterday, I decided to try a new place, Horst @ McCann Gun Range, about 45 minutes away. Let's just say the "new" place does NOT come close to comparing to the local place. Very unorganized and while waiting for a lane to open up, not one, but 2 separate people came into the lobby/counter area complaining about 2 separate people being unsafe inside of the range...We probably should have just left, but we were there, had plenty of ammo and it was my oldest son's first attempt at shooting anything, ever. Everyone was leaving as our lane opened up, so we stuck it out.

I brought my Savage/Stevens 320 12 gauge tactical shotgun, and my 1 week old 995-TS with 3 magazines (all I have so far), and 200 rounds.

My son loved it, as did my other son last week, but this one prefers the 12 gauge...at least that's what he said "yesterday"...today may be a different story, lol. His shots were all over the place with the 995TS but dead on the "Zombie" target with the 12 gauge and 00 buckshot (@ 35 yards).

Anyway, I was pretty pleased with the results I had from 25 yards, with no scope or laser, just the as delivered, un-adjusted sights that it came with. Keep in mind, until last weekend, when I put only 50 rounds through this 995, that I hadn't shot anything for nearly 30 years...

First 10 shots were all low (Pic 1), grouped pretty nice, but low, and since I wasn't 100% sure how to adjust the actual sight, I adjusted my aim. (Pics 2 & 3) were each 10 shots, and last pic is only 5 since we "split" a magazine....(last one for the day)
    FWIW, yellow area of targets are 9" diameter, and shot while standing up. Only modification to my 995TS so far is the stock mounted 2 magazine holder, and the front folding grip.

I'm looking at getting an inexpensive scope to mount on the new 995TS, so if anyone has a recommendation, I'm all ears. I've seen a few on Ebay, but unsure about what to even look for, os stay away from, as far as specs. Obviously, I welcome any advice or tips on my shooting results.

BTW, I was so disappointed in that particular range, that I stopped by the other one (my local one), and not only signed up for my HQL class, but also got a 1 year membership... :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  2. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

HQL? What's that?

3. Not sure if it is a Nationwide thing or just a Maryland thing...

HQL = handgun qualification license

I have to go to a 4 hour safety class and be fingerprinted before I can even order a handgun. It started in October 2013. This is the same clown governor (O'Malley) that is supposed to be making a presidential run....so remember the name.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Not nationwide. Many of us freer citizens just go buy a handgun when we want one.

5. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Well not just when ever we want one?
    But at least 2-3 times a week!!!

6. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Wow. That's....wow....just......*facepalm*

7. And I have absolutely no criminal record....heck don't even have any infractions on my driving record....

8. cicpup

Vermont
    It's OK. Reading legaleeze makes my head hurt. We just feel bad about you. You need to go through this bull$#!t for every handgun purchase or just once?

9. cicpup

Vermont
    I can buy one every day of the week. Just not a lot of that cheap Hi-Point junk.

10. The class, fingerprinting, and license deal is a one time thing. You're also exempt from needing it for any handguns owned prior to October 2013. This is just for "new" handgun purchases. From what the range (where I am taking the class) says, it is not too bad of a deal...:rolleyes: It does slightly speed up the gun buying process once you have the HQL, as it cuts the mandatory wait period in half...

The HQL, or Handgun Qualification License, boils down to $160 for the 4 hour class (w/free fingerprinting and the required certificate), and then $50 for the actual license from the State Police. I believe it's then a $20 yearly "renewal", or as us Marylanders have come to get jammed in the butt with...another "fee" AKA "tax"...basically. The newly elected Governor is gun friendly, so maybe "change" is coming...but I'm not holding my breath.

11. I may be wrong, but I think we're only allowed to buy one every 30 days....at least that gives me time to make up my mind on the next one...lol.,:D

12. cicpup

Vermont
    Oh it is. Any infringement is. they're just making it painless enough so folks think that way.

WTF!!!!!!! My "mandatory wait period" is the length of time it takes to process my credit card.

<Homer> "But I'm mad now." </Homer>

So much for painless. Little ice on your bunghole might ease the discomfort.

Edit: Just to rub it in a bit more. We have "Constitutional Carry". Everyone over the age of 16 can OC or CC without any permits, license, green card, or asking anybody's permission.

13. My wife has wanted to live up there for years....maybe when I am able to retire....at 89 years old or so...:(

Down here pretty much the only ones that can carry handguns without worry, are cops and criminals. Sad but true.

14. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Federal law says they have to let you be able to buy a firearm. The state just wants to make it as difficult and costly as possible to do so so only the criminals and people with disposable income can afford to partake in a right.

15. I agree 100%.

16. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

Some of us aren't lucky enough we can to afford to do this.