Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He got a SCAR light the other day it's beautiful :cry2:.... apparently he had to trade a lot of guns for it though....

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a 5000$ plastic rifle can do that to a guy....

SW
It was about 3200 actually.... my FS2000 goes for about 2700. They both use the same bolt, honestly they are almost the same rifle just in different configurations.
The SCAR is a freakin' sweet rifle though the stock is not only 6 position collapsible it also folds to the side.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
um its 223 so about .40/rd

SW
i thought it was a 5.54 or something like that :undecided:
.223=5.56, calibers are used interchangeably, but they are not identical. In general, 5.56 are higher pressure.

5.56 chamber will safely fire 5.56 & .223
.223 chamber will safely fire .223

technically, it's 5.56mm x 45mm, which is the NATO designation.

you may be thinking of the new caliber 5.7mm x 28mm, which is an entirely different caliber.

·
Banned
10,225 Posts

SW
.223=5.56, calibers are used interchangeably, but they are not identical. In general, 5.56 are higher pressure.

you may be thinking of the new caliber 5.7mm x 28mm, which is an entirely different caliber.
or maybe i'm just not smart :eek:pps:

·
Registered
6,276 Posts

SW

See, that's what I had heard, too... But then someone said something about a Wylde chamber that was specifically designed to accept both, and I thought maybe shooting .223 out of a 5.56 NATO gun might not be safe...

A quick Wiki reveals that .223 can be fired out of a 5.56, but a Wylde chamber is somehow better... Someone mind decoding that article for me?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15#Criticism

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
See, that's what I had heard, too... But then someone said something about a Wylde chamber that was specifically designed to accept both, and I thought maybe shooting .223 out of a 5.56 NATO gun might not be safe...

A quick Wiki reveals that .223 can be fired out of a 5.56, but a Wylde chamber is somehow better... Someone mind decoding that article for me?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15#Criticism
"...The Wylde chamber is used by a few manufacturers who sell "National Match" configuration AR-15 rifle, barrels, and upper receivers..."
You might find this barrel chamber configuration here and there, but it's not commonly available. If your rifle is marked "5.56", that's all you need to know. Almost all if not all, of the "cheap" steel cased ammo, i.e. Wolf, is now .223. You may find some military surplus marked "5.56" and some of the Wolf brass case is 5.56.

"...The most common result of firing military 5.56x45mm ammunition in a .223 Remington chamber is that the primer can be forced out of the case by chamber pressure, often resulting in the primer becoming lodged somewhere in the action of the rifle, and disassembly of the rifle is often necessary to remove the jammed primer.[21] Military specification chambers typically have a more open throat area producing less pressure and can handle both types of ammunition..."

Even the 5.56 loaded in a 5.56 chamber can produce blown out primers and jammed actions. It has happened to me 1 time with Wolf/Prvi Partizan M193 ammo (brass cased). Did no damage but jammed the bolt with pieces of the primer. Probably loaded a little too hot at the factory.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
Thanks for the help. I do wonder why anyone bothered with the Wylde chamber if a 5.56 chamber did the job just fine... I'll have to do some research.

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He got a SCAR light the other day it's beautiful :cry2:.... apparently he had to trade a lot of guns for it though....
where in the world does your dad keep getting these FN guns? isnt the SCAR like a brand new design?
His favorite gunshop of course...
Yeah it is new, it was released to the public about a month or so ago I think, they haven't released the "heavy" version yet which is in 7.62 NATO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.