trigger pull hack (sorry no pics)

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by kalbos, Oct 20, 2014.

1. kalbos

kalbos Member

first and foremost perform this at your own risk.

So in my quest to make the trigger on my high point 4595 smoother and more consistent i have polished the frame where the trigger bar slides across, polished the sear cam and polished where the sear pin and firing pin slide against each other.

These have yielded some good results but nothing changed the stupid long trigger pull. (can i get an amen from the hi point disciples)

After a range session I had it apart for cleaning and i looked at the sear pin and it hit me. if i slowly file the sear pin down. meaning I make the notch shorter and reduce the contact surface between the sear pin and the firing pin, it will release the firing pin sooner and it should reduce the distance that the sear cam needs to travel thus reducing the trigger pull.

So armed with a diamond file, I slowly filed away at top of the sear pin. I didn't measure the original size of the sear pin so i can't tell you how much to remove. I removed enough material to reduce the sear cam travel by 1/3. So the trigger doesn't bottom out when you depress it.

The trigger is pull is definitely shorter and the break is more consistent

the main concern that I had was the the sear cam would be too short and the firing pin could be released when dropped. I charged the firing pin and took a rubber mallet and wailed on the top of the receiver. (rifle still disassembled) and it did not release the firing pin. So I think that it's a win in terms reducing the trigger pull.

I would recommend that you start slow and reduce a little at a time. You can always remove material, but you can't add material. The good thing about this hack is that if you go too far, the mothership can sell you sear pins for relatively cheap. Pick up a few and go to town.

Good luck with your mods and stay safe

BW

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I really don't see the point of these types of DIY mods.
    Yeah I've done some light polishing of the trigger parts myself but as far as the sear is concerned.....
    You're messing in engineering and design so here follows the mandatory warning:

Don't mess with the sear boys and girls.......

Carry on....;)

3. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Try to hit it butt first on the ground as in if you dropped it from waist level and see if it releases. I'm not sure rapping on it with a rubber mallet on the top of the receiver would be the correct inertial point to test your trigger job.

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

+1 that Panoz...

5. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I don't know, I think the trigger on my 4595ts is fine. I pull it, and it goes bang. Every time. I think a joey's keychain would be a cool upgrade, but other than that....

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So there's very few parts that MoM refuses to send you a replacement. Guess what is one of them.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Wait...what?

I like a nice long consistent trigger pull. It's like those old military triggers I like.

That said, your mod makes some sense, as long as you stay on the safe side of things.

8. kalbos

kalbos Member

reassembled the carbine. banged on the stock with the mallet. firing pin held.
    hit the pistol grip,firing pin held, hit the barrel, firing pin held.

took it to my backyard and dropped it with the butt from waist height. firing pin held.

Thanks for the warnings and comments. like i said, perform a own risk..

BW

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  9. kalbos

kalbos Member

Thanks.

this is not my first time playing with trigger mods.

If any of you have an AK, I can give you info on how to make a two stage trigger. send me a PM

BW

10. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

I only have one Hi-Point. It is a 995TS with a Joey Key Chain. After reading through this thread, I tried the trigger on my 995TS and a second or two later on both a Gen 4 Glock 26 and then on a Gen 4 Glock 27.

To me, the trigger pull on my 995TS feels very similar to the trigger pull on a Gen 4 Glock 26 and 27. The difference between them is that on my 995TS, the first stage of the trigger pull is slightly shorter than that on a Gen 4 Glock and the second stage on my 995TS is only very slightly longer than that on a Gen 4 Glock. For all three guns, I haven't actually weighed the weight of first stage and the weight of the second stage break; but, all three feel similar and all have what I call nice clean crisp breaks. I really like the trigger pull on my 995TS and I don't consider it excessively long; in addition, it is definitely not gritty.

I've read several forum threads where the original poster is attempting to improve the trigger pull on their Hi-Point. So now I am curious.

Am I just lucky to have, what I consider, a good trigger pull on my 995TS, or is it just my perception?

For those of you that have multiple Hi-Point carbines, are there much differences in the consistency of the quality of the trigger pull between your different Hi-Point carbines?

In this thread, the OP is attempting to improve the trigger pull on his 4595TS. Is there a difference in the length of travel and the feel of the trigger pull between the 995TS's and a 4595TS's?

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No, they are all about the same.

12. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

First let me say, this can be a fun experimental project, but this is definitely one of those mods where an untouched stock part should be available for re-assembly before you start grinding on the other.
    The positive attributes are beneficial, as you point out. The negative possibilities are dropped firing or the gun going full auto from the short sear. (Most public ranges frown on these incidences and it tends to freak out fellow members, lol. Besides the possibility of injury, we do after all live in the "land of the free, and home of the lawsuit.)
    The tolerances are fairly loose on a stock HP. When assembled, if there is slight variations in dimensions of parts, the gun will more than likely still function properly, the gun was designed specifically to do so. And here in lies the problem. It's just extremely difficult to "fine tune" a loose machine, consistency can be frustrating. What works today could fail in a big way tomorrow. The carbine is no Swiss Watch, which is why it works so well.
    Have fun with your mod, just be cautious.