Trigger pull

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by vette, Sep 23, 2014.

1. vette

vette Lifetime Supporter

Planning to install the joey trigger, will it alone reduce the trigger pull or will additional polishing be required on the sear etc. Hoping for reducing force by 1/2..Anyone who replaced trigger what have you experienced.

TIA

2. My understanding is that it reduces the side-to-side play compared to the plastic trigger, but it doesn't make an appreciable difference in actual pull weight. Mine should be arriving some time this week, if no one else has offered a more educated reply I will let you know when I get it.

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

It's a cosmetic upgrade but it does reduce the side to side wobble.
    Most folks take the time to tinker around a little while the gun is apart.
    That's what I did, took some 600 grit sandpaper and made haut a couple of passes over the frame where the trigger bar slides over it.
    Nothing radical. Didn't lighten the trigger pull appreciably but made it a smoother pull, less gritty and grindy with a more distinguishable break.

4. SWAGA

Sorry, forgot to add a pic...... ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1411516753.422353.jpg

5. vette

vette Lifetime Supporter

I have a trigger in the mail. Looks like some fine sandpapering will be necessary. Hoping to improve accuracy somewhat by eliminating the effect of the gritty, non uniform pull.

Tx for replies

6. SWAGA

I'm about as far from an accomplished gunsmith as you can get but the gun has a much smoother pull now.
    Prior to my 'trigger job' the trigger would be all over the board and with a hot gun it would even vary from shot to shot it would seem.
    As you may be able to see in my pic I've smoothed some of the components by rubbing off some of the paint. Just follow all the trigger parts and be gentle. No need to go overboard. Use some light grease as regular gun oil will never stay on it long enough.

If you really want to lighten your trigger pull you need to get into sear springs and all that jazz and that will easily lead to a dangerous trigger.

7. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

You're still one up on the triggerless, skull stickered carbine, when it comes to gunsmithing anyways!...

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Like Swaga said, if you want to lighten the pull you need to modify/replace the sear spring. Not something we publicly recommend. Too easy to go too far and end up with a full auto.

9. vette

vette Lifetime Supporter

I will not be doing the re-work. Have an Armorer that will apply his magic to it.

10. SWAGA

Let us know.......and we want pictures !

11. The easiest/safest trigger pull weight reduction mod would be to replace the trigger return spring with a lighter one, if it's to light the trigger just won't reset.

My 995 comes is at about 3lb's with trigger polishing/sear spring/TRS (trigger return spring) might be able to go lighter but there is just no need.

I've been working on see how far this gun can accurately shoot and am currently in the handload development stage but from what I'm seeing 2 MOA looks do able to 300 yards.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  12. vette

vette Lifetime Supporter

Lighter Trigger

What did you replace the Trigger return spring with? Did you also replace the sear spring? If so what with? TIA

13. SWAGA

Do yourself a favor and don't mess with it.
    Leave that to the pro's, no offense.

14. vette

vette Lifetime Supporter

Trigger

You must of missed it when I said "having an Armorer apply his magic".
    I do appreciate the caution however!!:)

15. I simply got me a joey keychain, smoothed it a bit, smoothed the gun internals a bit and keep my hands in good condition. No need for a 'hair trigger' on a carbine anyway.