Trouble, SKS firing pin stuck

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by SWAGA, Dec 23, 2014.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

So I got my Albanian out of layaway today.
    Funny how they always look a little different in daylight then they do at the store.
    Looked a little rougher then I remembered.
    In any case time for some serious cleaning. Thanks to YouTube I had it apart in just a couple of minutes.
    Hot water, carb cleaner, copper cleaner, Ballistol and everything else I had was used.
    Not too much trouble except with the bolt. Took me 45 min to get the firing pin retainer out. Hammer, soak, hammer, soak etc.
    Firing pin is stuck like it's welded in there. Push, pull, turn, hammer nothing worked.
    Soaked it in penetrating oil as I was cleaning the rest of the gun.
    Barrel came out relatively shiney so that's good.
    Eventually just put everything back together again and everything runs smooth.
    Except the firing pin.
    I'm obviously not going to fill a mag and go shooting as is.
    Any suggestions apart from buying a new bolt/firing pin assembly?
    Any tricks of the trade?
    Some pics:

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1419376440.405490.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1419376452.758422.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1419376483.045143.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1419376497.149978.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    You always break your new toys so quickly?

3. Sounds like your FP is corroded in the bolt. Just keep soaking it and hope. You may need a new FP even if you get it out.

4. SWAGA

It looks like it may have been displayed for a while with the bayonet extended as the ring of corrosion on the barrel is pretty much a match for the bayonet ring which also has corrosion.
    For sure this gun has not been fired in a looooong time.
    Cosmo in every nook and cranny.
    Also had the bolt soaking in very hot water for 30-40 minutes but still to no avail.
    I sprayed penetrating oil on it and assembled everything so I wouldn't lose any parts.
    Probably try again in a couple of days.
    The whole gun is numbers matching including the bolt, mag and the gas piston guide.
    So it would be kinda sad to have to get another bolt.
    Apart from some rust spots it cleaned up pretty well.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  5. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

I'm doing an SKS Bullpup build and when I took mine apart the firing pin and the retaining pin were I swear weilding in place.
    I did what you did and then I used the break free on it alot.
    I did the hole in the board trick with the bolt laying flat and after tapping ,spraying and a few HITS it moved, more spray and the retaining pin came out.
    The firing pin came out thanks to a vice and some vice grips, the rifle had be shot alot then left to sit in a dark hole.
    I bought a Murray's firing pin, video is on youtube and a new retaining pin.
    Good luck

Attached Files:

6. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Vinegar will remove rust and corrosion....

7. SWAGA

I was thinking about freezing it and then dropping it in boiling water.
    Try and break whatever bond is in there by expansion/contraction.
    Soak it in vinegar for a week or two?

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Boil it in vinegar and water it should help.

9. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Murray's will rework your whole bolt assembly (Murray's Gunsmithing, 12696 FM2127, Bowie TX 76230-8425).

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    So you got the retaining pin out, but the firing pin won't come out.

That's really bad.

Does the pin stay solid? I mean, it isn't free floating, it doesn't rattle when you shake it, right? It's obvious that if it's stuck, it won't, but gotta be certain.

After you've soaked it a bit, try some vise grips, grab the exposed rear of the pin tightly, lock the bolt into a vice with the rear down, and then, try to tap the vice grips down to pull the pin out.

If you twist, it could shear and leave the tip in the bolt, if that's what's stuck.

Btw, is the pin protruding out the bolt face at all? If not, you could maybe tap it forward a bit, to help break loose whatever is there.

11. Johnny_B_Goode

Johnny_B_Goode Member

If you have access to a bearing press it would break the firing pin loose easily while greatly reducing the chance of damaging another part.

The universal joint on my manure spreader was rusted in place. You have to be careful with the drive shaft on a manure spreader. The drive shaft is designed to break if something jams the manure spreader to prevent further damage. One of my employees beat the universal joint until he was virtually exhausted. I popped the universal joint off in just a few minutes with a press with no damage to the drive shaft.

The press is in my barn. I do not know what got into him. He is usually a good, smart worker. We all have brain farts at one point or another.

12. SWAGA

Ajole, firing pin is stuck.
    I can't get a good enough grip with pliers.
    Less then a mm is exposed, probably more like the thickness of a credit card on the firing end.
    Maybe two mm's on the hammer side .
    I'll need to try the vice grip trick in a couple of days at a buddy's shop.
    I don't have enough tools at home.
    How about freezing and boiling water to break it loose?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  13. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It sounds like Ajole's suggestion about tapping the firing pin from the hammer side might be a good one if you have just that little bit of firing pin tip exposed on the bolt face side.

I would suggest putting a brass punch against the back of the firing pin and then gently tapping that with a small hammer. The brass punch will help focus the force, while also protecting the firing pin from any damage that the hammer, alone, could cause.

Doing that should break the rust bond between the firing pin channel and the firing pin.

14. SWAGA

For now I have it submerged in liquid wrench.
    I may take it to my buddy's shop after Xmas.
    He's got a bearing press....
    Mmmm. new idea..should I heat it with a propane torch and then dunk it in liquid wrench?

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    As long as you aren't getting it too hot, that could help.

The problem is, I have no idea what too hot means.:(

16. Grant

Grant Member

If it doesn't come loose do this. Murrays is the place. A new. Lot on an SKS would be risky due to fit and headspace issues. He will redo the bolt very reasonably and may be THE SKS expert in the country

17. SWAGA

Thanks guys........
    Just heated it with a torch and some brown drops came out that caught fire so there may be hope that it's just dried up cosmoline.
    Dunked it in liquid wrench twice and third time left it submerged.
    Will leave it for a couple of days and see what I can do.
    Otherwise ship it off I guess.

18. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    keep working at it 'cause if you send it off and pay to have it done they'll do exactly as you are now. Save some $ and be patient and do it your self.
    My SKS was never as stuck as your seems to be but boiling water and lots of lube will eventually free it up.

19. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

How many politicians does it take to fill up the spreader? :D

20. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

SWAGA,

When I bought my SKS many moons ago I picked up a couple gallons of WD40. I put all the metal parts in a pan and covered it with the WD40. Two days later I pulled everything out rinsed in warm water and dried in a warm oven (185) overnight. All the cosmoline and rust disappeared.