Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The new smaller pistol version SeeAll sights arrived - one regular and one with tritium for low light conditions.
( https://www.seeallopensight.com )

I mounted a sight onto one of my C9 using this 3D printed rear sight pic rail adapter purchased on ebay from aeqempress25:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hi-Point-Sight-Rail/284106711217?

It's a bit of a balancing act trying not to overtighten the screws & bolts since it's printed plastic, while also needing
it to be secure enough to withstand recoil.

The polymer used is PETG which is supposed to be stronger than your standard PLA material, based on my very limited understanding (but don't hold me to that).
Time will tell how it holds up.
20201208_014133-1-1.jpg
20201208_014236-1-1.jpg
20201208_014329-1.jpg
20201208_014402-1.jpg
20201208_014657-1-1.jpg
20201208_014729-1.jpg
20201208_014808-1.jpg
20201208_015514-1-1.jpg
20201208_015525-1-1.jpg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The SeeAll sights are still on sale - I believe 40% off now, versus the 50% off they had back when I tipped you guys off to their black Friday sale about a week and a half ago. Still a pretty good deal though I reckon. You can tell I'm a fan. I find it's really tough to photograph reticles though. They always look much better in person.

Almost forgot to mention, IWB holsters are from Detroit Kydex. One is their model that fits the C9 with a Laserlyte trigger guard mounted laser.
I'll be ordering more, and will also cut a small notch in the top of one of them in order to fully fit a C9 with the rail and See All sight mounted (which is no ones fault of course as this is a fairly unusual modification).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HI-Point-C...WB-Holster-INSIDE-THE-WAISTBAND/132204318257?

20201208_015836-1.jpg
20201208_020410-1.jpg
20201208_020643-1.jpg

Everything made in the USA except for the surplus Yugoslavian Type II AK Bayonet and the older style Israeli Fobus 4500 dual magazine OWB paddle holster.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
It'll be very interesting to see how that 3D printed adapter holds up.
Please keep us updated!

Reactions: magnut
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is an Aluminum rail for $5 more from "Squad Drop" on Ebay....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Squad-Drop...264656?hash=item1aab30ff10:g:vYUAAOSwGgdfpHic
Thanks for the tip, always good to have options and healthy competition in the aftermarket for our favorite budget blaster.
It would be interesting to know how well it fits. Not all of these aftermarket rails do seat in there properly based on my limited research, but the printed one I've got fits perfectly with both a newer and older version slide C9. Get the aluminum one and let us know!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With this 3d stuff... has anyone come up with a way yet to do steel or aluminum reinforcements ....kind of molded into the plastic?
I've got the same question along with many others, but few answers. My knowledge of 3D printing could barely fill the inside hollow of the magazine release button. But I'll bet someone here knows!

·
Banned
453 Posts
I've got the same question along with many others, but few answers. My knowledge of 3D printing could barely fill the inside hollow of the magazine release button. But I'll bet someone here knows.
Maybe.... but you give a lot of details on what you do know which I appreciate.

That optic is really neat. I remember when they were trying to first market those. No batteries right? Whats the durability like from your initial impression? One more... whats it like in low light? Any sort of glow to it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Maybe.... but you give a lot of details on what you do know which I appreciate.

That optic is really neat. I remember when they were trying to first market those. No batteries right? Whats the durability like from your initial impression? One more... whats it like in low light? Any sort of glow to it?
Correct, no batteries are used. The basic version simply uses ambient light collected in the flat chunk of green fiber optic material. The 'deluxe' models with tritium have their tritium vial embedded within that fiber optic block behind the reticle to add extra internal illumination for dusk and beyond that is clearly noticable out at night, in a fairly dim room or other dark environment.

The harshest recoil I have subjected mine to (the older models not the newest one shown) is 7.62x39, probably only about 150 or so rounds though. I haven't put one on a shotgun yet but am meaning to. They are supposed to be able to handle that much shock or even more from what I read. The other rifle I used one on is a Marlin 795 - I think a lot of air rifles have harsher recoil so not really much of a test. Hey I'm still new at this! I plan to try them out further with the AK as well as the 995TS and the 12 gauge Mossberg. Will report back. And of course on the C9 will be testing the new 'micro' pistol model I was showing off above. I will try it with some spicy defensive loads, serious eye protection and maybe a mouth guard for good measure.

OK, you asked so here it is - the mounted tritium model glowing in a very dark room with all lights off at night (not 100% light- leak proof 'darkroom black' but basically pitch black from the camera's perspective and mine) They weren't easy photos to take - took a whole buch of tries!
20201208_214820-1.jpg
20201208_214944-1.jpg
20201208_214617-1.jpg

·
Banned
453 Posts
Wow.... that is a cool sight picture under low light. They would be perfect for a couple of projects I have coming up. Might be perfect sight for cobray or intratec. The prices are pretty moddest as well. I would think the durability would be better than the red dot sights out there people are mounting on slides. That tritium model is really sharp and easy to pick up. They really streamlined these since the early models. My red dot pistols all have frame mounts with tube dots but I really like that triangle over green sight picture. Seems like it would work for almost everything.

My wife would probably love this thing on her CF380.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow.... that is a cool sight picture under low light. They would be perfect for a couple of projects I have coming up. Might be perfect sight for cobray or intratec. The prices are pretty moddest as well. I would think the durability would be better than the red dot sights out there people are mounting on slides. That tritium model is really sharp and easy to pick up. They really streamlined these since the early models. My red dot pistols all have frame mounts with tube dots but I really like that triangle over green sight picture. Seems like it would work for almost everything.

My wife would probably love this thing on her CF380.
The only thing I would maybe bear in mind though Magnut is that there is going to likely be a bit of a learning curve, and quite a bit of practice required (as always) to effectively and quickly use these on a handgun, mileage varying. Don't get me wrong, it is technically very feasible in proficient hands. Tons of youtube videos of cool dudes operating with these operationally using carbines, shotguns and pistols. I am no operator though.

The reticle is very easy to aquire on any long gun I've mounted one on after barely any practice. It is natural, repeatable and very fast. But with a pistol the learning curve seems to be far steeper from my very limited (just dry firing at home) experience so far. Aquiring the sight picture fast each time without fudging will take a bit longer than with some other sighting systems perhaps.

But don't let me discourage you, go for it. I have no regrets thus far. I got the other SeeAll's (I have several now) primarily for long arms but couldn't resist these newest ones especially since I already got the el cheapo polymer rail. On the C9 it will be mostly just to test and play around with, as a range toy and just for fun. And if I really take to it on pistols then maybe it could also serve well as part of a night stand "weapon platform" (maybe with an aluminum rail though) to fight with on the way to the AK.

·
Banned
453 Posts
The only thing I would maybe bear in mind though Magnut is that there is going to likely be a bit of a learning curve, and quite a bit of practice required (as always) to effectively and quickly use these on a handgun, mileage varying. Don't get me wrong, it is technically very feasible in proficient hands. Tons of youtube videos of cool dudes operating with these operationally using carbines, shotguns and pistols. I am no operator though.

The reticle is very easy to aquire on any long gun I've mounted one on after barely any practice. It is natural, repeatable and very fast. But with a pistol the learning curve seems to be far steeper from my very limited (just dry firing at home) experience so far. Aquiring the sight picture fast each time without fudging will take a bit longer than with some other sighting systems perhaps.

But don't let me discourage you, go for it. I have no regrets thus far. I got the other SeeAll's (I have several now) primarily for long arms but couldn't resist these newest ones especially since I already got the el cheapo polymer rail. On the C9 it will be mostly just to test and play around with, as a range toy and just for fun. And if I really take to it on pistols then maybe it could also serve well as part of a night stand "weapon platform" (maybe with an aluminum rail though) to fight with on the way to the AK.
Thats Ok. I can play around with it on some airguns for a while to get a feel for it. It took me a little while to get used to Red Dots too. I really like the no batteries aspect. I have a few of the old Weaver qwik points on different rifles , Armson and even a Nydar or two or three. I like differerent type of optics there is just so much out there now I havent tried much of the new stuff. I remember when these were introduced and they stuck out. I had forgotten about them until this thread. Most of my red dots are tubes like ultradot, propoints, and a few older aimpoints but these in theory seem like they would be a lot fast. This sight would Probably be a lot of fun on a cheap little Mossberg plinkster.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats Ok. I can play around with it on some airguns for a while to get a feel for it. It took me a little while to get used to Red Dots too. I really like the no batteries aspect. I have a few of the old Weaver qwik points on different rifles , Armson and even a Nydar or two or three. I like differerent type of optics there is just so much out there now I havent tried much of the new stuff. I remember when these were introduced and they stuck out. I had forgotten about them until this thread. Most of my red dots are tubes like ultradot, propoints, and a few older aimpoints but these in theory seem like they would be a lot fast. This sight would Probably be a lot of fun on a cheap little Mossberg plinkster.
I have a Mossberg Blaze 22LR ultra light plastic toy-like rifle that I have been meaning to put one one, I love 22 rifles, especially cheap ones that punch well above their weight!

·
Banned
453 Posts
I have a Mossberg Blaze 22LR ultra light plastic toy-like rifle that I have been meaning to put one one, I love 22 rifles, especially cheap ones that punch well above their weight!
Yeah I know all about the Blaze. Flimsy feeling little piece of garbage that is one of the most gun guns you will ever shoot. It feels like someone took a cheap plastic crosman 760 and turned it into an assault rifle. Mossberg broke a lot of rules with the Blaze. They went full blown keltec on that design. They could swallow up a lot of market share if they could get the pricepoint down into the $100-$120 dollar range.

I am a big fan of the plinkster. I shoot those more than rugers. Ruger owns Marlin now I think. If they can get the quality control up I will probably start shooting those again. I used to love the Marlins. I was shocked the first time I ran the plinkster through its paces. Completely reliable, accurate, simple design... they are like A Hi-point 22 rifle. Do a little simple riflesmithing work and they get even better...smoother operating..... more accuracy. $120-$140 and you have a 22lr that performs as good as anything out there other than custom builds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I know all about the Blaze. Flimsy feeling little piece of garbage that is one of the most gun guns you will ever shoot. It feels like someone took a cheap plastic crosman 760 and turned it into an assault rifle. Mossberg broke a lot of rules with the Blaze. They went full blown keltec on that design. They could swallow up a lot of market share if they could get the pricepoint down into the $100-$120 dollar range.

I am a big fan of the plinkster. I shoot those more than rugers. Ruger owns Marlin now I think. If they can get the quality control up I will probably start shooting those again. I used to love the Marlins. I was shocked the first time I ran the plinkster through its paces. Completely reliable, accurate, simple design... they are like A Hi-point 22 rifle. Do a little simple riflesmithing work and they get even better...smoother operating..... more accuracy. $120-$140 and you have a 22lr that performs as good as anything out there other than custom builds.
True, but it's my "Flimsy feeling little piece of garbage that is one of the most fun guns you will ever shoot," and I cherish it :D And don't forget it also has a face only a mother could love. I guess I just have a thing for ugly plastic guns.

I've really wanted a Remington Nylon series for some time (they are elegant show pieces in comparison) but kept just missing decent deals on a few different ones over the years. I wonder if the Blaze could work as well as the Nylon 66's are reported to in arctic conditions that can turn lube & gunk into glue.

·
Banned
453 Posts
True, but it's my "Flimsy feeling little piece of garbage that is one of the most fun guns you will ever shoot," and I cherish it :D And don't forget it also has a face only a mother could love. I guess I just have a thing for ugly plastic guns.

I've really wanted a Remington Nylon series for some time (they are elegant show pieces in comparison) but kept just missing decent deals on a few different ones over the years. I wonder if the Blaze could work as well as the Nylon 66's are reported to in arctic conditions that can turn lube & gunk into glue.
Oh I am not ragging on the blaze really. I think they are hilariously great. The keltec p17 looks like another one but I have yet to get my hands on one. Hi-points are pretty funny when you really get into them. Cheap and simple doesnt mean it cant perform and be a lot of fun. I give kudos to mossberg for coming up with something new and interesting in an industry that has become stale and everyone is copying other manufactures trying to steal market share.

Remington Nylons are cool but they have a cult following. I cant ever land a deal on one either....or when I do find one...there is just something else that I have to have more. I am a sucker for firearms with low production numbers even when they are junk. I regret not picking up samples of the Remington pistols to play with. I didnt think they would go under that hard. I still have not figured out where all the tooling went for the pistols. Ruger got Marlin. Franklin got Bushmaster. Not sure what the deal is with the RM380, RP9/45 and the R51. I looked around on the net but havent found anything. I will probably make some phone calls.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh I am not ragging on the blaze really. I think they are hilariously great. The keltec p17 looks like another one but I have yet to get my hands on one. Hi-points are pretty funny when you really get into them. Cheap and simple doesnt mean it cant perform and be a lot of fun. I give kudos to mossberg for coming up with something new and interesting in an industry that has become stale and everyone is copying other manufactures trying to steal market share.

Remington Nylons are cool but they have a cult following. I cant ever land a deal on one either....or when I do find one...there is just something else that I have to have more. I am a sucker for firearms with low production numbers even when they are junk. I regret not picking up samples of the Remington pistols to play with. I didnt think they would go under that hard. I still have not figured out where all the tooling went for the pistols. Ruger got Marlin. Franklin got Bushmaster. Not sure what the deal is with the RM380, RP9/45 and the R51. I looked around on the net but havent found anything. I will probably make some phone calls.
Been wanting to buy a couple of P-17 pistols for over a year now. They are like hens teeth. I could tell that TFB video review was a hit job right away, never believed it (I think they get paid to shill for certain big brands like Glock and Taurus). It will be my first Kel-Tec of any kind. Seems like the perfect light and toy-like match for the Blaze - you could arm a platoon of midgets with them.

·
Banned
453 Posts
Been wanting to buy a couple of P-17 pistols for over a year now. They are like hens teeth. I could tell that TFB video review was a hit job right away, never believed it (I think they get paid to shill for certain big brands like Glock and Taurus). It will be my first Kel-Tec of any kind. Seems like the perfect light and toy-like match for the Blaze - you could arm a platoon of midgets with them.
Its always been the point with oddball guns and new designs. You just buy one because....what the heck is this thing...I gotta try one. Then you do a review and 5,000 people come at you saying you can defend your life with that or "I will stick with my glock" or.... in a tactical situation blah, blah, blah etc. I wont tell anyone not to buy something but I will let them know every quirky issue I have encountered with a certain firearm and my viewpoint on the design, materials and potential cause for concern.

I like keltecs. Some times they get things right.... sometimes they get things wrong..... but they are outside the box and not affraid to try new ideas. I dont know if the P17 is good or not. I could probably make it run well with the right ammo choice unless there was some major problem with the design.

People expect miracles with 22lr semi auto pistols. Most of the time its not the gun its the fact that you are useing an outdated rimfire cartridge design, cheaply mass produced, and presure loads all over the place....but hey....it should run on anything you feed it and never malfunction...OK. If that p17 was developed for 25acp it would probably run like the wind. Even John Browning dumped the rimfire because he couldnt make it work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts