Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so pleased with the GT Bullets tapered cone RN plunking in my R51, that I thought I'd try some of their other bullets.

I'm going to try their 150gr .30 cal Hollow Points for my 300 BLK. If they don't like to feed in my BLK, I'll use them in my father's 30-30.

I'm also going to try their Hollow Point 130gr. 9mm bullets. They claim that the allow they use will allow them to expand and typical handgun velocities.

Link to vendor:
https://www.gtbullets.com/

I might try some sort of expansion test. I have a bunch of actual jello and the "recipe" to mix the faux gel media. I might also dredge up some newspaper to do the wet newspaper test.

Or maybe I won't do either. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Not by me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was so pleased with the GT Bullets tapered cone RN plunking in my R51, that I thought I'd try some of their other bullets.

I'm going to try their 150gr .30 cal Hollow Points for my 300 BLK. If they don't like to feed in my BLK, I'll use them in my father's 30-30.

I'm also going to try their Hollow Point 130gr. 9mm bullets. They claim that the allow they use will allow them to expand and typical handgun velocities.

Link to vendor:
https://www.gtbullets.com/

I might try some sort of expansion test. I have a bunch of actual jello and the "recipe" to mix the faux gel media. I might also dredge up some newspaper to do the wet newspaper test.

Or maybe I won't do either. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I did some expansion test on some GT 200 grain .45acp yesterday.

From right to left, water jugs, 1/4" plywood into wet pack, just wet pack. All shot at 10yds, stopped in second water jug. Middle one plugged with plywood and. Went 7" into wet pack. Wet pack only was 3" of penetration. I think that would be great for varmint control.

Reactions: lklawson

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some expansion test on some GT 200 grain .45acp yesterday.

From right to left, water jugs, 1/4" plywood into wet pack, just wet pack. All shot at 10yds, stopped in second water jug. Middle one plugged with plywood and. Went 7" into wet pack. Wet pack only was 3" of penetration. I think that would be great for varmint control.
I've been told that I should expect about 1/3 of the penetration in wetpack that I would expect in ballistic gel. So 7" in wetpack would be ~21" in gel.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,852 Posts
Kirk, keep us updated on these, please. They look like good boolits for 30-30 deer hunting. Aren't the velocities for 300 Blackout and 30-30 pretty close?

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kirk, keep us updated on these, please. They look like good boolits for 30-30 deer hunting. Aren't the velocities for 300 Blackout and 30-30 pretty close?
Yes. Close, but not quite. The 300 BLK is just chasing on the heals of 30-30. The top range of 300 steps into the bottom range of 30-30. It's one of the reasons that I wanted it. I really sort of wanted a 30-30 in an AR. I also wanted an AR that I could share bullets when reloading.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: histed

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been told that I should expect about 1/3 of the penetration in wetpack that I would expect in ballistic gel. So 7" in wetpack would be ~21" in gel.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I have heard this convertion also among many others lol. But I tend to lean towards this one also from comparing what I have read. I have never used ballistics gel so have no hands on comparison.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts