Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide on a second weapon so I would like some advice. Please no BS bashing of other firearms or members I want to make a well informed choice.

I have a C-9 that I am happy with however I have been concidering adding another firearm for when I am wearing shorts and other light weight clothing. I am 5'8" and 167lbs so I'm a smaller guy ... during the summer the C-9 prints too much for my liking. I was thinking about a KelTec P11 until I held one yesterday and I didn't like the feel in my hand. I also saw both the Phoenix Arms HP22 and the Walther P22. I held a Makarov(sp) 9mm as well. However I would be concerned with mixing up my C-9's 9x19mm with the Makarov 9x18mm ammo. Thats the reason for leaning towards the .22lr What do the gun guru's think. Is there some other firearm I should look at or go either or on the .22lr.

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
try the kel-tec PF9, basically the same as the P-11 but a much thinner grip and a single stack mag. Chambered in 9mm Luger it would go nicely with the C9 you already have. I own both the P-11 and the PF9, and my PF9 sees more carying than the P-11 due to it's very conceable nature.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here is a comparison of Kel-Tec, P3at, PF 9, P11, I prefer my P3at, and my wife prefers her Taurus pt22, I forget I have my 3at, is conceals so easily. I have a P32 also, 1 oz lighter than the 3at. Jim <><

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I've never mixed up my 9mm ammo, however I can understand your concern. I put nail polish on the primers of my carry 9mm Mak ammo. I use a Makarov and a PA-63.

Ron M.

·
Registered
250 Posts
For the money its just about impossible to beat the .32 or .380 Keltecs for hideout pieces and I've got the .32 on my watch-for list. X

·
1,792 Posts
So is .380 ammo starting to make a come back??

My neighbor had to reload his .380 ammo as there was none to be had. The ammo that could be found cost more then .45 acp!

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I can personally recommend either the FEG PA-63, Kel-Tec P3AT, or Kel-Tec PF9. I daily carry my P3AT and carry the PA-63 fairly regularly. I don't own a PF9 but have shot my fiance's stepdad's many times.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am about your size I am 5' 7" 175lbs. I normally carry a XD45 service. I do however carry one of my two P11s when ever I am wearing shorts in the summer. what ever you do I will suggest not going with the Walther P22 they are junk IMO i had one that the slide fractured on and well a slide fracture is not the sign of a quality weapon. they are made of a pot metal and there are a few other ones on the net that are documented having the same failure. I do have a Llama XV 22lr that I carry sometimes when I am wearing like swimming trunks so its not anything against the 22lr its that gun in particular. try the PF9 they feel great, and maybe a subcompact xd9 or a glock which ever fits your hand better. Both great weapon systems.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
check out the bersa .380. good overall handgun imo.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Boy, was going to suggest a KelTec, but everyone beat me to it. I started with a P11, but kept getting into situations where I couldn't carry it conveniently (although it's still a prime hiking/backpacking choice for me due to its 12+1 capacity), so I ended up with a PF9 and an LCP, both MUCH easier to conceal.

I'm actually impressed you can manage a C9 in any clothing!

·
Premium Member
36,070 Posts
I'm a Mak LOVER, and the CZ 82 is my daily carry. Under $200 each, and totally dependable. Never had any issues with mixing bullets, they look REALLY different to me. BTW, I got JHP for the 9X18 at only $12 per 50 just last month. Can't beat that in any other caliber, I would think.
But the guns are heavier/thicker than the Kel-Tec's.
Buy the one you like, they are all fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love my Kahr CW-9 for CC. Big enough to be comfortable to shoot, small enough to fit in my pocket.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Well, I have a Taurus 745 MilPro. It's a 3.5in barrell, doesn't print much, plenty of power. I've dropped a FIE Titan .25auto in my shorts. Underpowered, but with JHPs its better than nothing, certainly better than a .22.

For the sie/power I think a small .380 like a Kel-Tech or a Bersa would certainly fit the bill.

I had a PA-63 once. I loved it, but the grip beat the crap out of my wrist when after several rounds. The discomfort eventually drew me away from it.

Don't discount a wheelgun like a .38 snubby. You can't beat a wheelgun for ease of use and power.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd go with the PF9. I bought a P11 a few months ago, mainly for the extra capacity, but I sorta wish I'd picked up the PF9. It's a lot easier to conceal. Oh well, I guess that what gun stores are for.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have an LCP myself. Its so small I could ware a thong and hide it and you'd never know I had it lol. (pretty picture I know) With CT grips I've found if I can do my part with the trigger ... which is a pain... it will shoot what that red dot is in. Great for conceal in a pocket it's something you can always have on you.

Check out the P3AT also, basicly the same gun, but I held both when I got the ruger and the ruger felt like it was alot higher quality to me frankly but if I couldn't of got it I'd of got the keltek in a heartbeat also.

I've thought of a PF9 to also carry but Taurus has a new 9mm called the 709 out that is SWEET puts me in the mind of a budget walther pps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.