Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking around for a .22 rifle just to go plinking with.
My local Dick's sporting goods has a mossberg plinkster for 130 plus tax.
However, my local gun shop has a Revolution ( I think that is the brand) tube fed .22 for 99 dollars plus tax.
Any thoughts on that as an option?

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Marlin? Good shit there...

Also, since your looking at one, dont get cought up in the "speed loader" BS that companys sell. Yeah, it sounds like a good idea. But it takes just as long to load them as it does the mags on your gun...

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Not famaliar with the Revolution .22 but for the money I don't see how you could go very wrong for a plinking gun. I use a winchester tube fed auto that I've had for 30+ years. Still going strong. Earned the money for that one milking cows for $3/hr.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not famaliar with the Revolution .22 but for the money I don't see how you could go very wrong for a plinking gun. I use a winchester tube fed auto that I've had for 30+ years. Still going strong. Earned the money for that one milking cows for $3/hr.
Cool. So its not a pain in the a** to load?
I forgot to ask the guy how many rounds can be fed into the tube.
I think I will make a trip down to the shop and take a look at it. I am a little tight on funds, but I think this store does have a layaway program and maybe I can have him hold one for me.
I just want to get a .22 for plinking and a decent 12 gauge pump action and I will be set ( at least for a few months anyway)

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
My tube fed Winchester is a breeze to load. Just twist the ram and pull it out till it clears the loading port. Drop 15 rounds in and slide the ram back down. Takes less time than it does for me to load the magazine for my JHP or C9.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
here's my 1958 marlin model 99 , it has an 18 round tube . the model 99 went on to become the model 60 which they still sell today , but i think they have 14 round tubes now . i can load mine a little faster than my friend can load his 30 round 10/22 mag . it's a pretty good little rifle , but i should have just waited and got a 10/22 . i have a project in mind that will require the ruger so i might refinish the marlin and sell it .

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My tube fed Winchester is a breeze to load. Just twist the ram and pull it out till it clears the loading port. Drop 15 rounds in and slide the ram back down. Takes less time than it does for me to load the magazine for my JHP or C9.
Cool. Sounds good. Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here's my 1958 marlin model 99 , it has an 18 round tube . the model 99 went on to become the model 60 which they still sell today , but i think they have 14 round tubes now . i can load mine a little faster than my friend can load his 30 round 10/22 mag . it's a pretty good little rifle , but i should have just waited and got a 10/22 . i have a project in mind that will require the ruger so i might refinish the marlin and sell it .

Yeah, he said they have the Ruger 10/22 for 230.00 dollars plus tax. I am just not sure if I want to spend that much. Like I said, I am basically just looking for something to plink with since it is so hard to find 9mm ammo and then when you do find it.....it is too damn expensive.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
thats what i was thinking at first , but now since it is so cheap to shoot (and i can shoot it here instead of driving an hour to where i shoot the big guns) i kind of want to customize it a bit . there's a whole lot of nothing being made for 22's that aren't rugers . a few scattered stocks here and there but thats about it . they make everything under the sun for 10/22's . it's the ar-15 of 22's . but if thats not your thing the marlin model 60's were going about the same price as the mossberg .

·
Registered
79 Posts
The marlins are a fine little gun. I have a 80's and 90's version with the differance in the sights and number of rounds in the tube. I love the gun but as others have said its not one for modifying.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats what i was thinking at first , but now since it is so cheap to shoot (and i can shoot it here instead of driving an hour to where i shoot the big guns) i kind of want to customize it a bit . there's a whole lot of nothing being made for 22's that aren't rugers . a few scattered stocks here and there but thats about it . they make everything under the sun for 10/22's . it's the ar-15 of 22's . but if thats not your thing the marlin model 60's were going about the same price as the mossberg .
Yeah, I dont think I really need one for modifying.
Then again, who knows, I could change my mind down the road.

Thanks for all the input fellas.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I've got a Marlin 60 and have been eye-balling an after market stock for it by ATI. There aren't as many mods for the Marlin as there are for the others but there's a few.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I don't see them mentioned much but I got a Savage Model 64, think it was 109.00 when I bought it couple years ago, I like it its very accurate and since I put a Nikon 4x32 rimfire classic scope on it even more so. I think its a nice plinking rifle.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I've got a marlin 60 tube fed. Both me and my daughter love plinking with it. Very reliable. requires periodic cleaning as .22LR is dirty ammo usually, but after sending 100s of rounds downrange, cleaning it is almost fun.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I have a Marlin 60 also. Great guns! The Ruger 10/22 is also an outstanding gun but costs more. The Mossberg .22s look good to me also. They have one that has a thumbhole stock, 10 rd. detachable mag, and a tip-down forearm.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
oh , and if it matters i think the only other 22 out there that takes hi cap mags is the remmington 597 , it's starting to get into 10/22 territory as far as accessories go .

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Hi cap mags are very over rated. Anything at least seven shots is fine in a 22. But then that may be hi-cap soon. Marlin is more accurate than the Ruger and costs less and that's what a 22 is all about.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I've got 3 Marlins ( 39A Golden, 25NM and 60 Glenfield) and I love all of them. They can blow the X ring off the target at 50 yds any day. I also have an Armi Jager AP74 (AR clone in .22) that is just as accurate as the Marlins, and a hoot to shoot. In these days of hard to find ammo, I can still go to the range and spend an afternoon shooting 200 rounds for a mere pittance!

Marlin are quality firearms that retain their value, you can't go wrong with them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just picked up a Mossberg 802 Plinkster (37091) with the thumbhole / tip-down stock last week. Dick's carries both the 702 (semi) and 802 (bolt) but only with the standard stocks but I ordered this one @ a local shop for $180. I got this model because I like Thumbhole stocks and the tip down fore grip is really nice for holding the rifle against your shoulder for aiming, for cycling the bolt and to let you loosen up a little on the trigger hand. I put 100 rounds through it over the weekend, the sights were right on, right out of the box. Another nice feature is that it's grooved / set up to go for a scope or red dot as well...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
oh , and if it matters i think the only other 22 out there that takes hi cap mags is the remmington 597 , it's starting to get into 10/22 territory as far as accessories go .
Believe it or not, I have had better luck out of Promag 25 round mags for the 597 than with the Remington factory 30 round mags. I just keep five 10 round mags loaded now, rather than mess with the hi-caps.

My brother has a Marlin 60 and it really is hard to beat for accuracy. Nice gun, well made, shoulders well (not like some .22s that feel like toys)... great gun all around.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts