Tula steel cased 40, anyone tried it? Like it or dose it suck?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by kevin6154, May 30, 2014.

1. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Gonna try some Tula steel cased fmj in my jcp tomorow. Was wondering if anyone has tried it in a jcp and how it performed. At $13.75 a box I'm hoping it works well! Only bought one box just to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

my guess is, this can be answered like every other ''has anyone tried x brand of ammo in thier x hi point".......will probably work great for some, and crappy for others, somewhere in between for the rest. what works for one, is no quarantee it will work for you or anyone else. only way to know if it works in YOUR gun, is to try it.

3. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

That's why I only bought one box. So far I've had good results w federal and wwb. Magtech sucked, pmc sucked, and Remington sucked. She still nosedives. Not so much w wwb n federal. I've had the mag steady loaded since April and I'm at 400rnds or so. Figure if I just need more break in time cheap ammo is the way to go. Gonna find out after work tomorow.

4. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Plus I bought wwb40 ,wwb 9x19 for the wife and Remington 45 100rnds each. Now that wifey likes my hobby this could get pricey! Luckily the ruger I bought her eats just about anything, like me lol.;)

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I've shot a couple boxes through mine kev...... No real problems, a little encouragement once or twice to completely feed first few mags worth.... Last time I used it, zero problems... And my gun is relatively new, 3-400 rds through it.

6. I shot .40 S&W Wolf out of my ex-Hi Point for a bit. 250 rounds. It did not work well. You actually could feel how under powered it was and how slow the slide did it's thing.

I sold that gun. After a couple of years I absolutely regretted that deal. Searched a gun show and got another. The bottom line was between the two pistols was I broke dead even. I am not selling the one I have now.

And I am not shooting steel cased commie ammo out of it either.

Damn this forum. I really want to go shoot all three HP's I have. The fotey is my fav.

7. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Well my jh45 runs flawless. But I'm actualy more Acurate at long range w my 40. I bought my 40 mainly because I was curios. After reading good and bad press I had to see for my self. Only prob is the mag. The first 50 were flawless. Then she started nose diving. I've tweaked the mag to the outer limits of the specs and left it loaded. It helped but still only 70% reliable. Although the nose dive can be over come by a sharp smack to the back of the slide, it still dose it. Much more so w certain ammo. So I've been trying every type of ammo I can find. I've even made you tube videos on it. I have noticed that it takes less and less of a tap on the slide to chamber the round after a nose dive. So I think it's breaking in. I carry and homeD w my 45 so my forty is mainly a range gun. I was thinking of sending it in but I'm positive it's just the mag. Plus I'm having too much fun shooting it every weekend:)

8. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Tula SUX! Wwb for my 40 al day!

9. Tchort

Tchort Member

Shot a couple boxes......no problem here.

10. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

11. superbeast1098

superbeast1098 Member

I havent fired Tula through my Hi Point, but I have fired it through a couple of other guns.... Both guns ran the ammo fine, no hang ups or malfunctions. But on one gun I did notice something interesting.

I ran a box through my S&W SD9VE with no issues at all. Gun and ammo ran flawlessly.

But, I ran into something interesting with my AK47. Tula is all I have fired through my AK so far. I have not had any issues with the gun. It has fired every round that I have put through it. Here is the interesting thing though. I was looking at the spent casings yesterday after I got done shooting, and found 3 casings that were cracked....

But even with those cracked cases, the gun still functioned without a hiccup....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  12. tula is great stuff ! if you like shooting 2inch low at 25yrd and 4-5" low at 50yrd its great

13. talon

talon the banned wagon

..and if you know thats how it shoots thru your gun, you compensate by aiming a hair higher. big deal.

14. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Well I did notice that where the case and bullet meet is not very smooth compared to brass. Also seems like the rim on the back is a lil smaller. Didn't check them w my dial calipers. But wwb is pretty cheap and works well for me so I'll use it. Blaster brass works too. Federal isn't bad but nosedives occasionally. Seemed like I even had trouble chamber ing the first round of Tula.

15. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

Blazer brass my bad

16. Steel cased ammo doesn't expand like brass does, therefore it doesn't seal in the chamber like brass does. Hence the complaints that is shoots dirty, split casings and varying accuracies.

17. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    There is Tula in several different hand gun ammo configurations . The major complaints I have heard is it's dirty and not as accurate. It's cheap foreign ammo, so one cannot expect it to act like the better quality stuff. I shoot Tula only in the SKS, which is a marriage.

18. kevin6154

kevin6154 Member

I'll stick w wwb for my 40. Haven't tried Tula in my 45yet. But my jh has a veratious appetite, she eats anything;)

19. I find it much better to not buy sh.tty ammo

20. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

That's great.... Unless there's no good ammo around.