Turk Mauser - Bad bore/rifling - What to do?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Zone' started by SouthSeraPirate, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Well today I discovered the bore is pretty pitted and the rifling is worn. I can see from chamber end the barrel is shiny; from the muzzle end, well you get the idea. So basically some of the barrel looks good and the rest is crap.

So now Id like to know my options. If enough of the barrel is intact I can counter bore, but that's a shot in the dark. If enough of the barrel is good then I could cut it down and sporterize it. Then there's getting another barrel, but that's too much to keep a not so common caliber. Another is to re-barrel to .308, which is something Id love to do.

Now Im nothing more than a mechanically inclined individual; far from being a smith. That said, as far as I know, all that needs be done to convert to .308 is change the barrel. From what reading Ive done, some Turk receivers are large ring type with small ring threads. This in turn makes the barrel harder to find?

Opinions? Input? What would you do?

2. How does it shoot. I have a star super with a pitted barrel, bought a good barrel years ago. Never have needed it, the gun is extremely accurate. If you have not shot it, then shoot it, then worry about the barrel.

3. I havent shot it, but it does look pretty bad. Need to get a good shot of it. Standby.

Here;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I don't know if you've done any serious deep cleaning, shoot it and see what happens.

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

If you reload, you could consider fire lapping the barrel.....

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I have no idea what that means.
    Now I don't reload but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night: how about slugging the barrel and seeing if you have any areas where the slug has less resistance?
    As in an oversize area of the barrel due to corrosion?

7. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

It's actually a interesting way to clean up a pitted/ and or rough barrel..... A lapping kit comes with various grits of compound, that you impregnate on bullets, then load them in front of a low velocity charge.....

8. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Dang swaga, that holiday inn express thing is my line! Haha

9. Dagwood

I used 0000 steel wool wrapped on a bore brush with my drill to polish the chamber on my oldest mauser. I was having an issue with milsurp steel cases getting stuck. It worked like a champ. I don't see why it wouldn't work on the whole barrel.
    I took both of my mausers to my gunsmith and he told me if I had to pay him to do any of the work I'd be losing money. They're just not worth that much unless they're all original, and german.
    I would have someone check the head spacing. Theres over 50, 000 psi in that chamber when the bullet goes bang. Or you can buy a field go, no go gauge and check it yourself.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Please, please, please, just go shoot it.

You can set it on a sandbag and under a sand bag, or tie it to a tree, some guys do that and pull a string on the trigger if they are worried about it blowing up.

But we all hear about how it should be checked...and I swear, I have never, ever heard of one that was out of spec bad enough to be scary.

If you are shooting commercial ammo, I'd not worry about it, it's pretty weak compared to what the gun was designed for.

After you shoot some groups at 50 yards or so, you can decide if it needs a barrel or not. I know that pitting looks bad, but really...you never know if it's a problem until you shoot it.

11. Dagwood

I do agree, I shot both of my mausers before I took em to the smithy. The only reason I did is to see what it would cost to get the one glass bedded in the new stock. Turns out it was a cool project to diy.
    I was glad to hear that they were both gtg though. He did scope both barrels and check the head spacing free of charge.
    I can't really afford his services, but he does have a few guns I'd like to buy.

12. Shoot it! I've seen worse bores that were shockingly accurate. Clean it up real well then head to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

13. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Bet cleaning would remove a lot of what looks rough and pitted.

14. Well Im going to try steel wool on a brush with the rod attached to a drill and see how she cleans up and shoots.

Best case scenario I could tell potential buyers it shoots fine. I still want sell it cause, honestly, Im wanting a Mosin M44 ;)

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No!!! That's totally the wrong thing to do! You don't even know if there's a problem yet!

Just go shoot it!

16. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Clean throughly for several days and you may surprised at the results. Again, you may not. Worth a shot.

17. Seriously, shoot the damn gun before you start grinding stuff down the bore.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

18. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Clean it normally, let the bore soak for an hour in between brushing with a standard bore brush. I bet it brightens up fine without trashing the rifling with steel wool!

19. Dagwood

I don't think a couple of passes with 0000 steel wool would trash the barrel imho.