Two shot Derringers for under $250?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by 1024Megabytes, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Are there any reliable two shot Derringers for under $250 in or .45 Auto or .40 S&W calibers? I cannot believe some Derringers cost more than $500. They are only two shot pistols. Glock semi-automatics are around $500 about.

Cobra Derringers I hear are highly questionable in quality. I have seen reviews where only one barrel will fire.

2. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

gunbroker is your friend.

3. Rerun

Rerun Member

That's funny!

I hear the same thing spoken about Hi-Points!

Buy one and find out for yourself!

I own an Excam .38 Special derringer that is supposed to be a 'difficult' weapon as well.

It does have it's quirks, especially when I am trying to reload it in a hurry ~

Lesson learned? Don't be in a hurry when reloading it.

Other than that, it shoots straight and both barrels fire in sequence.

eldar

4. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

How about a 4 shot with interchangeable barrels.......................oooops! More than $250

http://www.signal9defense.com/

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fRRUaLc67s[/ame]

5. Kiln

Kiln Member

Cobra isn't even an option with your listed price and specs. Cobra's .45acp is more than $250 but is stainless steel. All of the derringers Cobra makes besides the Titan are zamak with steel parts strategically placed.

What I don't get is why anyone buys a 2 shot derringer for anything other than than a novelty any more. When there are .380's and 9's with 6-7 shots that are much lighter and not SAO, I can't see buying a big/heavy gun with two shots for any practical use.

The only practical reason I see for a derringer is if you intend to use shotshells for pest control. The only derringer I've ever owned was bought with this intent.

6. I hate the .380 Auto cartridge. It's weaker than 9 millimeter and it is expensive. I was looking for a very small handgun. One that could fit in a pocket. In my experience ther is no reason to buy a .380 pistol since 9 x 19 handguns are just as small.

I really wanted a .40 S&W micro pistol since I could just buy 135 grain rounds and not have to end up with another caliber.

7. Rerun

Rerun Member

Well, back near the middle of the last Century when I bought this derringer, there weren't too many options for a backup piece ~ You could buy a pocket .22, a pocket .25, or a pocket .32 OR a .38 Special which hits harder than any of the three I listed.

And, now, here it is thirty - No, thirty-five years later and I still own the derringer.

'Cept now, I carry a Kel-Tec P-32 for backup.

eldar

8. except, you know.... they aren't.

LCP, P3AT, Body guard, DE Micro, DB 380.
    what 9mm is that small? and the ones that are close PF9? or P11? are miserable for most to shoot.

9. The smallest pistols I have found that are worth looking at are these at Bud's Gunshop:

DoubleTap Model DT009001 Derringer 9 x 19 - $229
    DoubleTap Model DT045001 Derringer .45 Auto - $229

Ruger Model 3206 LC9 9 x 19 - $351

10. Grant

Grant Member

I've owned the Doubletap in 45. It is brutal, literally painful, to shoot. I put a hogue grip on it with no help. My first time out I got through 16 rds before my hand just could not take any more. I am not recoil sensitive, a typical range session is around 200 rds of the cal of the day. I tried to find ammo that wasn't as bad, but that thing was a beast. I traded it for a Keltec 380 to fill that micro slot. I won't condemn you if you buy it, but I would suggest against it.

11. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

Will this be painful? I'm going to wait a few weeks until its warmer.

Attached Files:

12. Yeah I think so.
    Please video your first shot for us.

13. Kiln

Kiln Member

Exactly why I bought the TCP. I was going to make this exact post. The pocket 9's are all marginally larger than the .380's and exponentially more painful to fire. The P11 isn't terrible but the thinner 9's are brutal.

14. The Ruger LCR 9 x 19 revolver (five shot) also looks interesting. I don't care if a small pistol like this is uncomfortable to shoot. You can also always buy lower grain bullets. A small handgun like this is not a primary firing weapon. It is a very small conceal carry weapon that I don't plan on shooting a lot.

15. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Hey there, 2GIG! How's it going? :D

Here's a link for the Double Tap review, I'd avoid that thing like the
    Obola Plague. :rofl:

I'd spend more $ and get a Bond or NAA derringer, or NAA revolver.
    I feel the desire for a great pocket gun myself, but the DT is not it.

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    PS: I also had an LC9 and sold it. For that style of gun, might as well get the Kel-Tec. It is less $ and just as good. The Ruger is a copy of the KT anyway :mad:

17. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It'll be awhile before I get clearance to buy another new gun, but a derringer is something that I'd like to get just for a combination of novelty and potential need for really deep concealment. The Bond Arms is what I have looked at the most for that. Particularly, I'm interested in one of the .45ACP models.

18. wvwoodsman

wvwoodsman Member

I have a Davis 25 cal. i bought on Gunbroker. I think it was around $200. I carry it when i wear my bibbs and its hard to conceal my judge.

19. undeRGRound

INDY
    :confused:Clearance?:confused:
    I thought SC was a "free state":eek:
    Oh, you mean the "little woman"! lmao You should refer to the Budget instead, some might say things like "you need to take your testicles out of her purse" but I'd never go there :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)

20. Why would you be touching his testicles?
    Should we leave you two alone....