Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Here are a couple problems I have with my 995 and I'm wondering if it's common to the model, or if it's just me.

1) Whenever I shoot it, my cheek gets slapped. The recoil vibrates that thin plastic stock and stings where I have the cheek weld.

2) I just had a double feed with Winchester bulk. I'm hoping it was a fluke as this thing as been flawless. Are double feeds common with the original mag?

Thank you,

Josh <><

·
1,792 Posts
1) yep.
2) never had a double feed on mine. Wouldnt think common.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
1. I have gotten a love tap from mine once in a while. Since I added the rubber recoil pad, I have not noticed it, though it may be coincidence.

2. No double feeds with mine. You might want to check the feed lips on the mag to make sure the spacing is not too wide. Try manually pushing rounds out of the magazine to see if the cartridges come out properly (you should not have to force them out, but they should not just pop right out, either. See if the cartridge slides out under the lips like it should, or if it is popping up through them). It seems like a lot of HP owners have had to tinker with the feed lips on some of the mags in order to correct FTF issues.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Does filling the stock with foam make it too rigid? Would that lead to the same issue the ATI stock has? And the neofoam pad, is that like a butt pad or do you put it where your cheek hits the stock?

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
The factory stock used to rip out my beard but it never slaped me. I went with the ATI and I loved it, but I like the pads a bunch of guys have that hold a few mags

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks.

This is the only feeding issue it's ever had, and I'm wanting to attribute it to the Winchester bulk. I've had failures to extract on two different guns with this stuff.

Everything else runs flawlessly, though I'll def be checking the feed lips. The double feed came from a failure to feed (hung on the ramp). I did a malf clearance and it made it worse.

Could be that I've not cleaned it since I bought it used... It's been on my "to do" list.

Until I clean it and fire for function, I guess I'll go back to the shotty, SKS, or 1911 for home defense.

Thanks,

Josh <><

P.S. Today has not been my day. My Taurus 92, which never malfs, had a failure to feed the last round of one magazine. Maybe it's a full moon. J.S.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took my 4095 out last week for the first time and had a few double feeds through it. The carbine was brand new. I ordered a new mag and going to see if that wasn't the problem. I was not to happy about the double feed. So now I will wait to I shoot it again to see how then new mag works.

roger

·
Registered
224 Posts
Does filling the stock with foam make it too rigid? Would that lead to the same issue the ATI stock has?
The ATI has issues? Thats news to me being Ive put over 2000rds thru mine and no probs.I get tired of hearing about these "issues" most if not all of these naysayers dont even have a 995 with the ATI. But they hear about it and act like its the gospel.As HP owners we get tired of people bashing HPs, knowing theyve never shot one, only hearing peoples unfounded opinions and calling them facts.(you know the slide that flew off the C9 and killed like 5 people at a range) Isnt this the same thing?
Im not trying to PO anybody but I would like cold, hard facts(I know you got some Gman!!)

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
What better way to sell your "New and Improved" stock than to take some of the legendary clout of the already-out-and-HOT-selling "Aftermarket" (ATI) stock? There isn't a better way than to say "It (ATI stock) will not only break your carbine, but we might not fix it if it does happen". This is Economical grandstanding/mud slinging... and I don't like it... any more than you men. Am I the only person who finds it funny that the same time the mullet man holds that new stock, the ATI stock damages 995s?

Proper fitment of the stock is paramount in any long gun, if you don't believe me... look at all of the free floating, pillar'd, and glass bedded stocks out there... look at that attention to detail... it MUST be present.

I'm done on this topic, because the sheeple will always be sheeple.
PM me if you need anything further... so I wont hijack this thing. :lol:

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
I put in a pound of modeling clay to reduce the cheek slap. Then I dumped the original stock for the ATI stock.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Never noticed any cheek slap.

Have had a couple of double feeds in many many rounds shot. As long as its a very uncommon event, I would not worry about it too much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I replaced my stock mainly cause the original kept pulling whiskers out of my beard (that top seam on the butt stock). ATI stock has no top seam, problem solved. Besides, it's a lot purtier ;)

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Hold the rifle firmly. IMHO The 995 doesn't have any real kick.
If you are getting slapped, I would suggest you may not be holding the weapon firmly into your shoulder.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's being held firmly.

The recoil tends to set up a ripple through the plastic.

I regularly shoot an SKS, 12 gauge battle configured Mossberg, Mosin M44 carbine, and all require good shoulder welds to prevent injury - especially the Mossy and Mosin.

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Never had been slapped by mine either.

I have had feed issues but not since I got it back from Hi-Point. The redid alot of stuff in it. and I bought mine used..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.