Two Tips to Strengthen Your Defensive Mind

Discussion in 'Training' started by lklawson, Jun 16, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/1/2/two-tips-to-strengthen-your-defensive-mind/

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    See when you look, and hear when you listen.

3. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Situation awareness! The key to all things. Look at the faces also. Bad intentions can usually be easily read in one's face or body language. It's not as hard as one would think. I'd like to think I've always had a knack for it. It does take practice. While stationed in Japan in the late 60's, my Japanese Karate Instructor Fujikawa Akira used to spend a lot of time teaching "people reading" techniques. They can be extremely effective for sorting bad people out. ;)

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You should write an article on the techniques.

Published articles are good for a 1 Year Supporting Membership, I believe.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

So if you weren't a mod, you'd be on a supporting membership till roughly 2076?..

6. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I could look at someone for 1/2 an hour and an hour later couldn't even tell you what color shirt they had on. (unless it was a chick with big boobs!) :eek: :p :rofl:

7. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

In Kirks defence I did put him on a task that he never finished. I believe its his first failure in life and he is on 24 hour suicide watch :-D

8. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

You probably still wouldn't remember the shirts colorit's green

9. desertrider

desertrider Member

Situational awareness has taken on greater importance for me in the last five years or so.

There is a segment of the population (me included) which is limited in it's ability to effectively escape a situation and create enough distance from the threat to be safe. I would probably have to rely more heavily on either avoidance, or aggressive defensive tactics to buy the extra time I need to be clear of danger.

Since about '09 I've experienced debilitative pain in my hip, and due to a spinal injury back in '97 I have also been dealing with some spinal chord stenosis that causes weakness in my legs, which further taxes my ability to escape a bad situation.

Everybody should know their specific weakness (mobility, in my case) and focus their efforts on tactics of survival that will best benefit them.

10. histed

histed Supporting Member

Outlaw - I'll second Kirk's suggestion - for purely personal reasons. New skills = better prepared in my book. In today's world, there is no "Over prepared"
    Evil - it was actually two tone green with yellow lettering :p

11. Hermitt

I might remember the color of the shirt if it was mossy oak or realtree..... :p

12. ErgoMan

ErgoMan Member

Fujikawa Akira Sensei sounds like a very wise man. I think I met him on the second floor of the Yokota AFB Gym in 1970.

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

[​IMG]

Leave it to MOLE! :D

14. Hermitt

Yes!!!! I remember now, seeing THAT shirt! :rofl:

15. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

OK, which freaking shirt are you guys referring to? :foilhat:

16. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

That would take a while for sure. It's been years and years. I'll see if I can drum something up. Thanks for the extra work :rolleyes:

17. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Wow! Didn't see that coming! Check my PM :welcome: