Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
You can sand and polish the strip on a C9 to get that same look, you can also strip and polish the entire slide to a mirror polish if you wish, the Zamak (Zinc aluminum alloy) will not "rust". If you kept it clean and oiled I don't even think a clearcoat is necessary, several members have polished the slide, you can even "melt" the slide while you are at it but don't take too much off, the slide is the weight it is for a reason.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You can sand and polish the strip on a C9 to get that same look, you can also strip and polish the entire slide to a mirror polish if you wish, the Zamak (Zinc aluminum alloy) will not "rust". If you kept it clean and oiled I don't even think a clearcoat is necessary, several members have polished the slide, you can even "melt" the slide while you are at it but don't take too much off, the slide is the weight it is for a reason.
Now when you do this does the finish on the metal tarnish at all? How does one maintain it since I assume the powder coat is there for protection.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Now when you do this does the finish on the metal tarnish at all? How does one maintain it since I assume the powder coat is there for protection.
Yes it will tarnish within 30 minutes. It will go from being a shinny silver to a dull grey color very fast. Something will need to be put on it to keep the shinny color. That powder coat is not easy to get off either.

·
Registered
112 Posts
okay so here's my question cuz i want mine with the polished look, if i sand off the powdercoat and reveal the shiney metal underneath what do i polish it with and then what do i put on it to stop it from tarnishing?? and my friend has a tremel ive never used one before what would I need to put on the tremel to sand the powdercoat off?

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
okay so here's my question cuz i want mine with the polished look, if i sand off the powdercoat and reveal the shiney metal underneath what do i polish it with and then what do i put on it to stop it from tarnishing?? and my friend has a tremel ive never used one before what would I need to put on the tremel to sand the powdercoat off?
If you want the polished look I would take it to an engine builder that has a sandblaster with "glass bead", have him bead blast it and then take it to a local chrome shop and have it plated.

I am very fortunate to have both types of shops one town over and the work could be done quite reasonably... like maybe $50-$60.

I personally just bought an OD Green 40SW, but would really like a C9 that had a frame molded in OD Green with a very dark gray slide. Or silver slide and molded gray frame. Shoot, I want one of each cal in each color. lol!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts