1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it a loop, a knot, or a hitch?

Yes. Yes it is.
Natural material Creative arts Red Art Body jewelry

Basically a prusik is a hitch (friction knot) you can use with any piece of cordage that has a diameter that's equal to or thinner than the diameter of the rope you tie it on. I prefered to climb and rescue on 9mm static ropes, so my prusik cords are a 6mm static kern mantle accessory cord rated to 4,000lbs (17.7kN) of tensile strength. You can use a prusik as a third hand when climbing, rapelling, or as the belay. It's designed to cinch down on the working part of the rope as a safety device to keep things from falling. I keep several prusiks on hand when I'm working with ropes. You can use them to make hasty harness, drag rescue device, a foot loop for an emergency ascent, and anything else where a sliding friction knot would come in handy. I've even used them to hang gear off my pack and my harness. I made some up last night because I still had 50ft of accessory cordage sitting around and I needed prusiks for my new survival bag anyways. I have two 18", two 24", and a single 48" loop.
Wood Art Spiral Rope Wool

Now to make these loops I take the length of the loop I want and double it, then I add 6" for each knot because I tie double fisherman's knots with a 1" safety tail. So an 18" loop would need 48" of rope. A 24" loop requires 60". My one 48" loop takes 9 FEET! The 4ft loop is for emergency ascending only, in case I drop one of my ascenders or for a static anchor at the top of a descent.

Just show us how to tie these knots and make a loop already!

1. Lay your ends facing opposite directions and take your bottom rope and loop it over and around the upper rope so the tail is facing down.
Wood Twig Wire Cable Jewellery

2. Make a second loop around, in front of the first loop.
Rope Wire Event Close-up Art

3. Then feed the tail through both loops and loosely dress the knot so the tail is below the upper knot.
Knot Wood Rope Wire Metal

4. Now take the top rope and repeat the process making a downward loop by crossing over the bottom rope and coming up and around.
Wood Art Wire Pattern Strap

5. Bring the tail end back over and around for the second loop.
Wood Twig Art Rope Terrestrial animal

6. Feed the tail back up through both loops again and with the tails on the same side they started on, cinch the knots down, dressing as you go to keep the crosses facing you.
Wood Natural material Composite material Jewellery Wire

8. Now you can slide these knots to adjust the size of the overall loop for storage, but to deploy the prusik safely the knots need to be touching at full extension.
Wood Natural material Rope (rhythmic gymnastics) Knot Jewellery

Realistically any overhand safety knot will do the job in a pinch, but a knot should be as easy to remove as it is to tie and putting basic knots in load bearing applications can cause the knot to tighten so much it becomes virtually impossible to remove and can even cause the rope to fail. Knots function because friction exists and throwing in an extra wrap by going with a double or even a triple knot will create more surface area. More surface area creates more friction but also spreads the friction out by requiring less force per square inch. That makes your knot much easier to untie.
Now you have a prusik loops that will cover several very common situations where you need a little added safety.

·
Super Moderator
9,955 Posts
The prusik is one of only a few knots I use in my outdoor adventures. I use them exclusively to hang tarps off a ridge line.

I keep a ready made ridge line with a bowline tied onto the end, followed by a short prusik, a long prisik, and another short prusik.

Should I need a hasty shelter, say a storm is approaching, I can attach the end of the ridge line to a tree with the bowline and a toggle and the opposite end to another tree secured with a truckers hitch. I attach each end of the tarp to the ridge line with the short prusik and tail of the tarp is staled to the ground using larkshead knots. I can have the tarp up in just a few minutes.

What is the long prusik loop for? Why to attach my lantern to the tarp of course. I am afraid of the dark you know!

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
I don’t do critical rope work….but it still drives me freaking nuts when the square and granny are the knots used for EVERYTHING. We put up a 10x10 canopy for track, and staked out the tie downs to try to keep it from blowing away. Somewhere along the line one of the nifty plastic friction units got lost, so I tied a taut line hitch…and the kids thought it was magic.🙄

·
Super Moderator
25,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I was teaching basic ropes and rigging to the department as my final exam for becoming certified MFI, I wanted to strangle the older guys. You know the type. The 50 years of technological advancement overruled by 100 years of tradition kind.

One of them just tied a square knot and said, "that's the only knot I need to know." So then we decided to lecture the class on how Captain Square Knot just killed anybody who will ever touched a rope he's rigged on scene. He also became my personal rope holder for the duration of class. I'm told he never missed another ropes and rigging class after I retired.

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,087 Posts
Is it a loop, a knot, or a hitch?

Yes. Yes it is.
View attachment 75079
Basically a prusik is a hitch (friction knot) you can use with any piece of cordage that has a diameter that's equal to or thinner than the diameter of the rope you tie it on. I prefered to climb and rescue on 9mm static ropes, so my prusik cords are a 6mm static kern mantle accessory cord rated to 4,000lbs (17.7kN) of tensile strength. You can use a prusik as a third hand when climbing, rapelling, or as the belay. It's designed to cinch down on the working part of the rope as a safety device to keep things from falling. I keep several prusiks on hand when I'm working with ropes. You can use them to make hasty harness, drag rescue device, a foot loop for an emergency ascent, and anything else where a sliding friction knot would come in handy. I've even used them to hang gear off my pack and my harness. I made some up last night because I still had 50ft of accessory cordage sitting around and I needed prusiks for my new survival bag anyways. I have two 18", two 24", and a single 48" loop.
View attachment 75080
Now to make these loops I take the length of the loop I want and double it, then I add 6" for each knot because I tie double fisherman's knots with a 1" safety tail. So an 18" loop would need 48" of rope. A 24" loop requires 60". My one 48" loop takes 9 FEET! The 4ft loop is for emergency ascending only, in case I drop one of my ascenders or for a static anchor at the top of a descent.

Just show us how to tie these knots and make a loop already!

1. Lay your ends facing opposite directions and take your bottom rope and loop it over and around the upper rope so the tail is facing down.
View attachment 75065
2. Make a second loop around, in front of the first loop.
View attachment 75067
3. Then feed the tail through both loops and loosely dress the knot so the tail is below the upper knot.
View attachment 75062
4. Now take the top rope and repeat the process making a downward loop by crossing over the bottom rope and coming up and around.
View attachment 75066
5. Bring the tail end back over and around for the second loop.
View attachment 75063
6. Feed the tail back up through both loops again and with the tails on the same side they started on, cinch the knots down, dressing as you go to keep the crosses facing you.
View attachment 75068
8. Now you can slide these knots to adjust the size of the overall loop for storage, but to deploy the prusik safely the knots need to be touching at full extension.
View attachment 75073
Realistically any overhand safety knot will do the job in a pinch, but a knot should be as easy to remove as it is to tie and putting basic knots in load bearing applications can cause the knot to tighten so much it becomes virtually impossible to remove and can even cause the rope to fail. Knots function because friction exists and throwing in an extra wrap by going with a double or even a triple knot will create more surface area. More surface area creates more friction but also spreads the friction out by requiring less force per square inch. That makes your knot much easier to untie.
Now you have a prusik loops that will cover several very common situations where you need a little added safety.
You still climbing rope and things?

I gave that up after I reached 60 years of age.

Let the youngers do that.

eldar

·
Super Moderator
25,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You still climbing rope and things?

I gave that up after I reached 60 years of age.

Let the youngers do that.

eldar
I was still teaching it just before I retired from the FD in 2015. I was on the county FAST/RIT team and was high angle certified for the 4 story chemical silos, churches, and apartment complex in my district.

Reactions: Rerun
1 - 6 of 6 Posts