Ugh, I hate being sick...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Feb 18, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It's just a minor cold, really, but either it or the OTC meds I'm taking to combat symptoms have totally screwed my taste buds.

I LOVE potatoes. I've been known to eat instant potatoes alone as a meal. Only thing better than potatoes is potatoes & meat (preferably beef).

Potatoes and Meat in any form is A-OK by me. Steak & Potatoes, Shepherd's Pie, Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes, Chicken Pot Pie, "Bangers and Mash," it's all Ambrosia, food of the gods!

I love Potatoes and Meat so much that I even enjoy canned Beef Stew. For lunch today, I decided to "treat" myself to some Dinty Moore canned beef stew. Yum! Yes, I know... It has too much salt, too much MSG, too much fat, and probably some unidentified pixie dust that if I consume too much of it, it'll turn me into a Liberal. I don't care. It's Meat & Taters!

I micronuked it in a paper bowl, as I've done many times before. But from the first bite, I could tell well, all food now sucks.

My beloved Meat & Taters suddenly tasted like ash, and that's if I'm being charitable. Uncharitably, substitute an 's' for that 'h' in "ash."

Bleah.

I couldn't even stomach eating the whole thing. The bowl went into my trash, unfinished.

Thanks "Common Cold" for ruining one of my favorite meals for me.

<grumble>

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

The reason you are sick? Eating out of a "paper bowel!" Is that like eating it out of chitlins?

How much vitamin C you taking? I am doing 2000mg a day. Twice a day.

If you have sinus problems nuke some bottled water with salt in it (don't do it in a bowel!) bend over the sink with a horse syringe from the feed store and flush them out side to side. That's what my old ENT doc told me to do. Or try Brakleen. JK!

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah, I didn't catch that auto-correct spell check mistake until after I hit "post." :( <facepalm>

Probably. Chitlins is technically "meat," right? Serve it up with some Taters and I'd likely eat it.

I dunno. I haven't been tracking it. Probably can't track it. I use lemon juice to make actual lemonade a glass at a time. I can't guess how many I drink in a day. Somewhere between 1 and 4 depending the phase of the moon.

Ah. The "netti pot" treatment. It's quite popular and you're not the first to recommend it to me. My parents tell me that back in the 50's, doctors were recommending it and you could buy a "Nasal Douche" kit from the pharmacy.

While I'm certain that this cleansing works well for most people, I just am not going to do it. I have an extremely easy Gag Reflex. Visual cues ("gross looking stuff") won't set it off, but any small obstruction is likely too. Dentist appointments are a nightmare for that reason. I'm constantly gagging. Heck, I nearly gagged just gargling salt water last night. So, while there's lots of evidence that it can help, I won't be using a netti pot (or Nasal Douche either, for that matter). :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. TNTRAILERTRASH

When I was running over the road I had to do the $14 aerosol can of saline. Went from desert to snow Bullhead City AZ to Reno and Donner Pass to warm and sunny in Englewood CA in less than 24hrs.

If you ever smelled chitlins cooking? It smells like the septic tank cooking. Tastes like it too.

5. sc487

sc487 Member

I have a terrible gag reflex and the Neto lot doesn't bother me at all, I was very hesitant to try, but it's a life saver. I need to put one in my BOB now that I think about it

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Try using some propolis. I have a 40% solution of it from a company called Spring Leaf. Propolis is a substance that bees make to repair hive breaches or to cover large creatures that they kill inside their hives. It kills every microbe, preventing the carcasses from putrefying.

I put about 7 drops of it into a half mug of cold water, swirling the water as I add each drop. From there, I gargle three or four mouthfuls of the mixture and then drink the rest of it. If I do this when I first get signs of post-nasal irritation, it typically prevents the rhino virus from reproducing in the upper respiratory tract in sufficient amounts to cause a full cold. I administer this once per day for a few days, and it keeps the cold from lasting more than a few days, while also reducing the intensity of the symptoms.

Normally, my colds start in the sinuses, and after a few days, they move into my chest, where they last for another few days before I start coughing up the phlegm in the final stages. If I take the propolis, it keeps the cold from ever going into the chest.

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

Propolis. I did try may hand at bee keeping. It is supposed to do some good things. Bees are amazing critters.

8. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I use the version with a squirt bottle, very little goes down your throat, 99% runs out the other nostril. And when it clears that back nasal passage food suddenly tastes edible again! Worth it even if it triggers your gag reflex