Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

· ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ultimate Reloader, or GavinToobe claims that 357mag is IT. I tend to agree, or may even 10mm in autoloader!!! Both EXCELLENT reloading and primary fire boolitZ, but YOU CAN DECIDE!!!

Add your comments, Below!

· Premium Member
9,670 Posts
I was going to say .357 Magnum before I even opened the thread. You get the versatility of two different cartridges in the same gun, and if you go up to the heaviest .357 Magnum loads, they are still sufficiently controllable for most shooters, while delivering serious energy to the target.

· King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,894 Posts
454 casull is in for the win. As mole tosses in the 38 also. I can toss in the 45 colt. While its just below the 357mag it can do what the 357 does or almost. And yet you can bump straight up to the 454. Unless you are weak. And need the 357. E can shoot the 454. Mole would need someone to hold him up.

· Premium Member
37,353 Posts
Yeah…357 is very nice, but “ultimate”? Not really.
44 mag and 44 special beat it.
And Moonz with his 454 crushes it, while the 45 Colt option can be loaded to weak 38 Special, like under 700 fps, if you want to.

Besides, we all know, 9 mm in a revolver is more powerful than 357, and will blow the lungs right out of your body. So the ultimate revolver is obviously a clipped 9 mm with .380 for light loads.

· Administrator
28,428 Posts
History has proven that the worlds most "versatile" cartridge chambered in a revolver is the .22LR.

More use by more people over more time for more reasons than pretty much any other cartridge in history.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· Premium Member
3,525 Posts
.454 Casull is a long gun round put into a handgun in my opinion. Nice thing about a .454 Casull revolver is you can also shoot .45 Long Colt out of one.

· Premium Member
Everything
3,522 Posts
Kirk pretty much nailed it, but I would say a second as far as versatility could be 38 special, because you can fire it from both a 38 or a 357. My personal favorite is 44 mag, because I use it both in my super blackhawk and my carbine, and I know I can count on it for any predator coming my way, but idk how 'versatile' it is compared to others.

· Premium Member
9,670 Posts
Kirk pretty much nailed it, but I would say a second as far as versatility could be 38 special, because you can fire it from both a 38 or a 357. My personal favorite is 44 mag, because I use it both in my super blackhawk and my carbine, and I know I can count on it for any predator coming my way, but idk how 'versatile' it is compared to others.
As someone who used to run 300 rounds of .44 Magnum in one range session before the Covid ammo crisis, shooting 10" and 12" plates at 25 yards with target transitions and controlled pairs, I can honestly say that the .44 Magnum is great for both a defensive round against two and four-legged threats, but in terms of cost and split times, the .38/.357 Magnum fill the roles much better.

· Premium Member
9,670 Posts
454 casull is in for the win. As mole tosses in the 38 also. I can toss in the 45 colt. While its just below the 357mag it can do what the 357 does or almost. And yet you can bump straight up to the 454. Unless you are weak. And need the 357. E can shoot the 454. Mole would need someone to hold him up.
Yeah…357 is very nice, but “ultimate”? Not really.
44 mag and 44 special beat it.
And Moonz with his 454 crushes it, while the 45 Colt option can be loaded to weak 38 Special, like under 700 fps, if you want to.

Besides, we all know, 9 mm in a revolver is more powerful than 357, and will blow the lungs right out of your body. So the ultimate revolver is obviously a clipped 9 mm with .380 for light loads.
Well, are we talking about ultimate as in terms of versatility or ultimate as in terms of the most powerful thing below a .500 S&W Magnum that maybe 25% of shooters have ever even shot and of which maybe half of those people can even shoot well?

The capability to down-load a hand cannon round doesn't really make the round ultimate in terms of versatility. All it does is take it down into .38 or .357 territory, and it can only do that for people who hand load.

Using that definition of ultimate cartridge in terms of versatility, it would seem that the most powerful handgun round made would actually be the ultimate because it could be either down loaded to mouse fart levels or it could be loaded to its highest pressures to kill elephants. But if that is the definition of the ultimate cartridge in terms of versatility, then why would the question even have to be asked?

And as far as loading .45 Colt into a .454 goes, .45 Colt isn't as common as .38 Special, and .44 Special isn't as common as either of those, so that kind of takes .44 Magnum off the list, too.

The question about the ultimate handgun cartridge has to be answered with standard off-the-shelf loadings and availability of the round. Otherwise, there's no reason not to just say the .500 S&W Magnum is the ultimate handgun round.

· King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,894 Posts
Well, are we talking about ultimate as in terms of versatility or ultimate as in terms of the most powerful thing below a .500 S&W Magnum that maybe 25% of shooters have ever even shot and of which maybe half of those people can even shoot well?

The capability to down-load a hand cannon round doesn't really make the round ultimate in terms of versatility. All it does is take it down into .38 or .357 territory, and it can only do that for people who hand load.

Using that definition of ultimate cartridge in terms of versatility, it would seem that the most powerful handgun round made would actually be the ultimate because it could be either down loaded to mouse fart levels or it could be loaded to its highest pressures to kill elephants. But if that is the definition of the ultimate cartridge in terms of versatility, then why would the question even have to be asked?

And as far as loading .45 Colt into a .454 goes, .45 Colt isn't as common as .38 Special, and .44 Special isn't as common as either of those, so that kind of takes .44 Magnum off the list, too.

The question about the ultimate handgun cartridge has to be answered with standard off-the-shelf loadings and availability of the round. Otherwise, there's no reason not to just say the .500 S&W Magnum is the ultimate handgun round.
Thats awful lot of typing to justify your opinion about a lot of nothing. :LOL:

These rounds may not be common for your area. But they seem to be everywhere else.

There is no reason to down liad a 45 colt. Up yes down no. 454 you can download if you want to. Or buy from underwood like mole loves to do to up load. No reason it has to be just for reloaders. Like you said.

· Premium Member
9,670 Posts
Thats awful lot of typing to justify your opinion about a lot of nothing. :LOL:

These rounds may not be common for your area. But they seem to be everywhere else.

There is no reason to down liad a 45 colt. Up yes down no. 454 you can download if you want to. Or buy from underwood like mole loves to do to up load. No reason it has to be just for reloaders. Like you said.
Why not .500 S&W Magnum, then? You can down load or up load the heck out of it. You could download it to .38 Special levels or upload it to ion cannon levels. If you're talking about the ability to vary the power level of a cartridge, the .500 S&W Magnum has the most versatility of them all.

· ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"E" offered to do that 😁

· ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
38spc shot from a K-frame or larger is just as sweet as an ice cream on a summer day! I saw this video after shooting Dad's old 13-1 using up the last few aluminum Blazer, and some brand new Blazer Brass.

Gavin [U-R] in the video was splaining his stance that "with the proper gun" even a Little Old Lady (lol) could have a sweet little 5 shot revolver, run defensive 38spc rounds, but then the same firearm can run some stout 357mag as needed. An average sized American male could easily handle the same ammo setup, with a 3" or longer barrel and get a lot out of the 357mag.

I like the bigger stuff too, but I just knew a video like this would bring out a lot of opinions.

@moona11 I have a good bud who has recently been looking for a 45 Colt revolver, or asking if I had one, he has some 45 Colt ammo and would really like a gun for it. That 460 S&W sounds like the ticket 🤩

· Premium Member
3,525 Posts
My personal favorite is .44 Magnum, because I use it both in my Super Blackhawk and my carbine, and I know I can count on it for any predator coming my way, but I do not know how 'versatile' it is compared to others.
You have a .44 Magnum carbine PistolKitty? I am guessing it is a lever action rifle. Am I correct? I read those are accurate to about 125 yards. Have you tested it at longer ranges?

I heard .357 Magnum carbines are pretty accurate and effective to around 180 yards.

· ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You have a .44 Magnum carbine PistolKitty? I am guessing it is a lever action rifle. Am I correct? I read those are accurate to about 125 yards. Have you tested it at longer ranges?

I heard .357 Magnum carbines are pretty accurate and effective to around 180 yards.
If these numbers for range are correct, certainly is more data for the 357mag being a contender 👍

· Premium Member
Everything
3,522 Posts

Yep, I love it! No, I haven't pushed it out that far. I really ought to, but our shooting has been minimal this year, especially with certain calibers. Trying to build up the stockpile in spite of current pricing/availability.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts