Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found these at the local gun shop. they are priced too high, something like $0.30 a round and thats with lead nosed bullets. but, my question is, does shooting lead nosed cartridges actually damage your barrel? or just gunk it up pretty bad, forcing you to clean it more often?

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
ultramax is the bottom of the barrel for reman ammo. thier screwed up ammo destoryed my beretta 9000S, and a double charged 308 round KBd a CETME over un gunboards a few years ago.

now to your lead question, no lead does not damage your barrel. if anything it is better on your gun to shoot lead as its softer metal than jacketed bullets and will wear less. and if the ammo is loaded properly it does not "gunk up" the barrle any more than conventional ammo does. if it leads badly it is enither loaded too hot, or the bullet is undersized for the bore. i shoot lead bullets i cast myself for virtually every gun i own with no more cleaning than if i shot jacketed. its a fallacy that modern guns need jacketed bullets to operate properly. the exceptions to this are guns with gas impingement systems like hte AR and its family. those guns DO NOT like lead because it fouls the gas system something awful. BTDT.

SW

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ultramax is the bottom of the barrel for reman ammo. thier screwed up ammo destoryed my beretta 9000S, and a double charged 308 round KBd a CETME over un gunboards a few years ago.

now to your lead question, no lead does not damage your barrel. if anything it is better on your gun to shoot lead as its softer metal than jacketed bullets and will wear less. and if the ammo is loaded properly it does not "gunk up" the barrle any more than conventional ammo does. if it leads badly it is enither loaded too hot, or the bullet is undersized for the bore. i shoot lead bullets i cast myself for virtually every gun i own with no more cleaning than if i shot jacketed. its a fallacy that modern guns need jacketed bullets to operate properly. the exceptions to this are guns with gas impingement systems like hte AR and its family. those guns DO NOT like lead because it fouls the gas system something awful. BTDT.

SW
you are always a reliable source of information, i hoped you would chime in.

now, as to the ultramax question, would it be cruel of me to use it and rely upon the hi point warranty?

what is it specifically that the ultramax sucks at? inconsistent loads, improper seating of the boolit in the brass, improperly sized boolits? and what does "double charged 308 round KBd a CETME " mean?

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
it means that a round of 308 had twice as much powder put in than was supposed to be and the rifle exploded in teh users face, costing him an eye and half of his ear. ill link to the thread if its still around over there.

as to ultramax ammo - i wouldt touch that stuff unless it was the only thing available, and only in limited quantities. it took three months of lawyer fighting between them and beretta to get my 9000S paid for.

SW

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it means that a round of 308 had twice as much powder put in than was supposed to be and the rifle exploded in teh users face, costing him an eye and half of his ear.
hmmm....i don't have a warranty on my face.... :thinking:

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
I shot 1 box of the Ultramax just to try it out.
It Key-holed something awful but I didn't have any fouling. They are cheaply made & the cases were a complete mix of stuff including some +P & +P+ cases.
Here's a pic of the target I shot with Ultramax.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I too cast and reload my own ammo. if ultra max is that bad I would think the lawyers would shut them down.. from the pic differently some possible quality issues. lead is softer on bbl. i like it cast a wheel weight bullet for any thing beside muzzlerloaders. That leves little or no residue in bbl if sized and lubed right.. Might just want to stay away for ultra max ammo

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too cast and reload my own ammo. if ultra max is that bad I would think the lawyers would shut them down.. from the pic differently some possible quality issues. lead is softer on bbl. i like it cast a wheel weight bullet for any thing beside muzzlerloaders. That leves little or no residue in bbl if sized and lubed right.. Might just want to stay away for ultra max ammo
thanks man.

i had decided against it based on price. it was only marginally cheaper than what Dick's was charging for regular remington ammo. if the price was right, i might take the gamble, but it doesn't look like thats gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
I just ran through a 250 box I got at Dicks on a gift card (hate that store and ammo was the only thing I remotely needed/wanted). I did not have any firing troubles, however, it was awfully dirty and my normal groupings spread quicker than...well insert crude humor here. :angel:

I wouldn't waste my money on it, but as it was free :straight:

FWIW I got 250 for 49.99 and change.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just ran through a 250 box I got at Dicks on a gift card (hate that store and ammo was the only thing I remotely needed/wanted). I did not have any firing troubles, however, it was awfully dirty and my normal groupings spread quicker than...well insert crude humor here. :angel:

I wouldn't waste my money on it, but as it was free :straight:

FWIW I got 250 for 49.99 and change.
49..99??!?!? it was 79.99 at my dicks. maybe the price was mislabeled.

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
49..99??!?!? it was 79.99 at my dicks. maybe the price was mislabeled.
Your Dicks is stupid crazy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
About a year and a half ago Dick's was selling Ultramax for $39.99 on sale. I thought I'd try them and ended up getting 5 boxes each of 9mm and 40 S&W. I still have about 3 boxes each left, I just use them for plinking in my 995 and 4095 (for paper I use Magtech or UMC). The Ultramax reloads are defiantly wimpy and not as accurate as far as I'm concerned...dirty too. I use to shoot Williams (of New England) but I can't find them anywhere around here anymore, they are the best reloads I've ever found.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
About a year and a half ago Dick's was selling Ultramax for $39.99 on sale. I thought I'd try them and ended up getting 5 boxes each of 9mm and 40 S&W. I still have about 3 boxes each left, I just use them for plinking in my 995 and 4095 (for paper I use Magtech or UMC). The Ultramax reloads are defiantly wimpy and not as accurate as far as I'm concerned...dirty too. I use to shoot Williams (of New England) but I can't find them anywhere around here anymore, they are the best reloads I've ever found.
you're saying you rolled out dicks one day with 2500 rounds? thats just awesome

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.