Underestimated That One!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Flyboy, Sep 2, 2015.

1. So I'm originally from Minnesota; the places I lived there over the course of 18 years was between 800 - 1,100 feet above sea level.
    Went to Basic Training in San Antonio, that was 650 feet above sea level.
    Tech school in Pensacola, that was a hundred feet above sea level.
    Stationed in Japan for two years, a little over a hundred feet above sea level.
    Stationed in Dayton, Ohio for five years, 738 feet above sea level.
    Stationed in England, a little under a hundred feet above sea level (down to about 30 where I work).

And now I'm TDY to Colorado Springs: well over a mile above sea level.

I decided to go for a run earlier, since I have been, ah, indulging a bit in all the American restaurants I have missed, and I got maybe a block and a half before my lungs were screaming. At first I was severely disappointed in myself, but then one of the Army Warrant Officers I go to class with, who is a beast of a man, rounds the corner looking like death incarnate; he made it only about fifty more feet than I did before damn near kissing the sidewalk.

Dear Lord, how am I supposed to learn with so little oxygen!? :p

2. Grant

Grant Member

Ah the thin air, now you know what the rest of us mere mortals feel like...any time we go for a run.

3. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

While your at it, why don't you just jog on up here to Arvada (NW Denver area). We currently are enjoying 5400+ ft ASL. You'd actually be going downhill. However, there are a couple hills along the way that would make you think differently. Bring water, lots of water ;)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'm laughing at my friends who have lived in the New Orleans area their entire lives. They want to come to Colorado to visit once we're settled. They want to go mountain biking and hiking on some of the trails near the house. I tried to warn them that they should be prepared for the air. I know how rough it is from personal experience. It's bad enough I'm going from 1,000 ft to 4,000 ft. Those chuckleheads are going to die....

5. Funny thing, my school here has informed us that Marine participation in the course has decreased dramatically in the last year, since most of the Marines that come here have jobs that place them in many places not even close to this altitude, and many have been hospitalized due to overexertion upon arriving here. A lot of the Marine space commands have been hesitant to send them due to this fact, because they know, to quote one of the instructors who is Navy, "They come here to strengthen their brains, but lacking such, attempt to kill their bodies." :p

6. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I am at 1150 feet in MN, been to the coasts and to me the air is like soup. Visited my sister when she lived in Denver and did the gasp for air routine for a week...

7. Rachgier

Hey man, you won't hear me argue. Space is for the dudes who think a solid PFT is a couple dozen crunches and a mile on a stationary bike in an air conditioned gym.

Leave the ground and pound and sea level to us.

8. Wow, you been away too long, more Marines fail our new PFT than Airmen. See what making fun of us does? It makes us break you. :p

Background: I along with a few others take the Marine CFT every year along with our Air Force PFT. I have never failed a Marine CFT, but have failed an Air Force PFT (in 2013). Of course, that's mostly because I thin the CFU gives you a twice as much time to perform less reps than the Air Force PFT does (two minutes compared to one), and the fact that the CFT is much more practical; actual battlfield skills rather than just number crunching like the Air Force PFT. Haven't done an Army or a Navy one since tech school though, so I think I'll try those next year.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  9. Rachgier

I never scored a perfect PFT myself, but I came damn close every year. My sister told me what her PFT consisted of about 15 years ago. She worked intel somewhere on Ramstein.

And yes, the CFT is new and not something I've done before. I ever did the Crucible either. My graduating class did a 20 mile march with some crucible-esque stations mixed in. Turns out we were one of the last batch of Marines to do the 20 mile forced march.

10. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

We moved from living around +/- 100 ft in cali for over 40 years to 4 years ago, now living at 4800 ft. It takes a few months, but you get used to it! :p When we get visitors from cali, it cracks me up how winded they get just walking from the front door to the car! :rofl:

11. Rachgier

I'm a fat bastard, I'm screwed too. I can't wait to get out and actually have property to walk around on and play with the kids and dogs. Maybe I'll finally break 275 and get closer to the 225lb goal I'm shooting for.

12. Ah, yes, 15 years ago, that explains it. Post-9/11, the Air Force got a bit crazy. When I joined, we were doing one-minute push-ups, sit-ups, and 1.5 miles run. There was no minimum required score for each component; as long as you reached a cumulative score of 75%, you passed. Passing score was 75%, and you only tested once per year if you passed. The tests were conducted by authorized PT monitors in your squadron. In 2008, I believe, the Air Force Audit Agency conducted a PT audit (by making random Airmen do an unannounced PT test using their own testers). They found that many people failed their test, sometimes miserably, despite scoring extremely well at their annuals. This made them change the PT admin process: now, only people not affiliated with your squadron could conduct your PT test. This was contracted out so only civilian fitness cells at the base gyms could do it (with the exception of remote sites that did not have access to these facilities).
    Well, one of the Air Force core values is integrity. This created a bit of a backlash against leadership; basically that we are drilled integrity integrity, but then are clearly told we can't be trusted to conduct our own tests.
    So, they stepped back and completely retooled every aspect of the PT test and reintroduced it about three or four years ago.
    Now, it is the following:
    1.5 mile timed run (or 1.2 mile walk if you are on a running waiver), with one minute timed push-ups and sit-ups with waist measurement. There are now minimum required scores to pass each component; if you do not make a minimum score for one component, it doesn't matter if you destroy the other ones, you still fail. You have to reach a minimum 75% to pass, and the test is conducted by military PT monitors from other units; they are not allowed to be from your unit. If you score between 75% and 89%, or are on a waiver for any portion of the test, you have to test again in six months. If you score 90% or higher, you are required to test again in one year. They also audit us a lot more; you can be pulled for a PT test at any time, and they like to exercise this requirement. Failures are now treated a lot more seriously; my one and only failure earned me an LOA from my commander and a promise to kick me out if I failed my next one. Another guy from my squadron failed his PT test twice and was actually kicked out.
    And they test regardless of environment; another one of my buddies went on an Army deployment to Afghanistan. They helo'd a PT monitor out to his FOB unannounced and PT tested him right then and there, recorded his scores, and left.
    Yeah, they don't eff around now lol.

13. Rachgier

Yeah, mine was a 3-mile run in under 28 minutes, minimum of 3 pull-ups, and 100 sit-ups in 2 minutes.

I always trained with 4-6 mile runs and kept my 3-mile time between 18 and 19 minutes, 20 pull ups was easy, and the sit-ups were easy. We switched to crunches when I hit the fleet, and they stopped letting you kip up for pull ups. They way it usually worked was I would hit a sub 18-minute run and not get 20 pull-ups, or hit the 20 and miss the mark on the run.

14. The Air Force considered a similar course when they were retooling it. I remember because I volunteered to be a guinea pig for a couple of the changes. I can normally do around 60 sit-ups a minute, and can keep going at a pretty steady pace after. I have cartilage loss in my foot, so I helped with the walking portion. They wanted me in that one because I get terrible test anxiety, and up until that point, they had used a heart monitor to gauge how fit you were during a walk test. They wanted to see the difference between a calm tester and a nervous tester. The calm tester's difference was very noticeable, but my starting heart rate and ending heart rate were within the margin of error, making it impractical for a blanket scoring method. The mile and a half was slightly reduced for time; they changed the minimum passing time for my age group to be 1.5 miles in 13:36 minutes, but in order to get a decent component score, you gotta run it around 12 minutes or less.

15. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

When I joined the Reserves back in '78, the Military started this PFT nonsense (o_O) in the early '80's.

There were several youngsters dying to prove their ability by doing everything to the max: I chose to just barely meet the required marks.

After everybody was done testing, I looked over at the now exhausted newbs and told them, "Next year, I will do five more reps of all the exercises and cut 15 seconds off my run resulting in a 10% improvement. What are YA'LL going to do?"

It worked just as I'd planned.

eldar

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I think the Marines fail the Air Force test because they aren't pencil necked geeks, and the stupid waist/neck measurement the AF uses puts them in failure mode.:p

We had a sergeant that was a body builder/power lifter. The measurements were crazy, so they had to pinch test him for body fat, even though he maxed the PT test. 2% or less body fat, but the regs said he had to re-checked every time, because his neck was so big.:rolleyes:

We did two minutes push ups and two minutes of sit ups, I think minimum was 35-40 each, but you could max your score at around 70 or so, depending on age. The 2 mile run, no idea what the minimum was, but I did max out one year when I ran under 12 minutes. Got my E-5 on that one.:)

17. Rachgier

Unfortunately (maybe?), your PFT scores carried some weight in your meritorious boards. When your MOS is locked out on promotions, it comes in handy to have the higher score.

18. We haven't done the waist/neck measurement in years. :p

19. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Advancement tests were no problems - I usually scored in the upper 10 percentiles and sometimes in the upper 5 percentiles.

My evals were trouble - One officer wrote that my 'tact and diplomacy' were best described as 'attack and gunboat'...

*Shrugs*

Fun and games, fun and games...

eldar

20. Rachgier

I'm pretty sure all of my evals said something along the lines of, "Keep this ass hole deployed and out of the barracks." I was a much better Marine in the field when compared to barracks life.