·
Premium Member
35,752 Posts
Gee. Color me unsurprised....

Reactions: CamoDeafie

·
Premium Member
21,220 Posts
A new update from the United States Army on April 20th 2021.

The U.S. Army is bracing for a possible large budget cut in fiscal 2022, a defense official told Defense News.

The service is preparing contingencies should it face a “huge cut,” which means the Army would potentially have to put modernization and readiness “at risk,” the official said.

The Army would need to look at ways to more effectively maintain readiness and would possibly have to slow-roll development and procurement schedules for major modernization efforts the service sees as critical to deterring adversaries in the future.

This possibly means the new 6.8 millimeter rifles may be delayed or cancelled. Good old Bejing Biden administration strikes again in my opinion. I think the new replacement rifle program will not happen for a long time now.
Meanwhile Russia is lining up and getting ready to "annex" the Ukraine again. Putin is telling NATO to butt out of his business. China is readying to take over Taiwan. Telling Biden's wimp-atron negotiators to pound sand, along with their climate change horse shit. North Korea is playing with their missiles again. We are rolling down hill to a totally engineered economic collapse. And we are letting communist, Marxist thugs run our country through intimidation and the imitation president is kissing their asses because Soros tells him to.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
Who wants to wager that it's going to get very expensive, very fast, and Congress will cut budgets and cancel/reduce this program just like they did with the "Advanced Gun System", Future Bomber (changed to the B-21 program?), F-35, and other vehicle programs?
And this exactly is why I forsee the program budget running away and then eventually get downsized if not outright canceled :rolleyes:
I give it about a year before the Pentagon cancels yet another program to replace 5.56 and 7.62 NATO :rolleyes:
A new update from the United States Army on April 20th 2021.

The U.S. Army is bracing for a possible large budget cut in fiscal 2022, a defense official told Defense News.

The service is preparing contingencies should it face a “huge cut,” which means the Army would potentially have to put modernization and readiness “at risk,” the official said.

The Army would need to look at ways to more effectively maintain readiness and would possibly have to slow-roll development and procurement schedules for major modernization efforts the service sees as critical to deterring adversaries in the future.

This possibly means the new 6.8 millimeter rifles may be delayed or cancelled. Good old Bejing Biden administration strikes again in my opinion. I think the new replacement rifle program will not happen for a long time now.
Gee. Color me unsurprised....
Hahahaha. Oh boy look at the dates of these... and now this. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
28,403 Posts
Meanwhile Russia is lining up and getting ready to "annex" the Ukraine again. Putin is telling NATO to butt out of his business. China is readying to take over Taiwan. Telling Biden's wimp-atron negotiators to pound sand, along with their climate change horse shit. North Korea is playing with their missiles again. We are rolling down hill to a totally engineered economic collapse. And we are letting communist, Marxist thugs run our country through intimidation and the imitation president is kissing their asses because Soros tells him to.
The problem is that it takes money to fight these geopolitical battles. Researching a new round, never mind rolling out the guns, ammo, and the whole support structure, costs money.

And the U.S. doesn't have it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
35,752 Posts
Of course we have it.
We’re just spending it on stupid stuff like Pakistani gender studies and Covid 19 BS.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
28,403 Posts
Of course we have it.
We’re just spending it on stupid stuff like Pakistani gender studies and Covid 19 BS.
No. We're spending money we don't have on that stuff.

The U.S. has been, and is still, debt spending for decades. We're that unemployed family in the rich neighborhood running up their credit cards and then taking out another.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
35,752 Posts
No. We're spending money we don't have on that stuff.

The U.S. has been, and is still, debt spending for decades. We're that unemployed family in the rich neighborhood running up their credit cards and then taking out another.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
And so is EVERYONE that ever bought a house on a 30 year loan. Does their world end because of that? Are they going to crash their budget by also taking out a loan on a car that they can actually afford?
I mean...as long as the left doesn't trash the economy.

I don't think we SHOULD allow the gov't to do it.
But we've been doing it for a long time now. It's a bad idea, we shouldn't be doing it AT ALL, but it's not the end of days thing people make it out to be.

·
Premium Member
3,607 Posts
You know... the only thing holding up this financial house of cards is the simple fact that most of the world have US dollars as reserve currency... unlike say... Zimbabwe :rolleyes: when the US dollar is replaced by whatever currency is "just as good or better" ; that is when hyperinflation and a Zimbabwe type of collapse will happen. But that might still be a long ways away.. if the US dollar collapse, the world economy collapse as well because there just isn't as "reliable and good reputation" currency that can take on the debt of the rest of the world :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I think they may use the 6.8 x 51 in machine guns and also the .338 Norma may replace the M-2 .50 BMG machine guns. They might also use the 6.8 x 51 in the limited designated marksman rifle role.

The 6.8 x 51 round has few to no advantages over 7.62 x 51. It will burn up barrels fast as it is such a very high pressure round (probably with 3,500 rounds or less). The magazine capacity is the same as 7.62 x 51. They would have been better off dumping the 5.56 x 45 and going with 6.8 x 43 Special Purpose Cartridge or going with the 6.5 x 39 Grendel for the standard troops. The 6.8 x 51 will not replace the 5.56 x 45 rifles in my opinion with all the disadvantages it has.

At least the military may get some better machine guns out of the deal. They will be able to carry more .338 Norma ammo over .50 BMG.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
I think they may use the 6.8 x 51 in machine guns and also the .338 Norma may replace the M-2 .50 BMG machine guns. They might also use the 6.8 x 51 in the limited designated marksman rifle role.

The 6.8 x 51 round has few to no advantages over 7.62 x 51. It will burn up barrels fast as it is such a very high pressure round (probably with 3,500 rounds or less). The magazine capacity is the same as 7.62 x 51. They would have been better off dumping the 5.56 x 45 and going with 6.8 x 43 Special Purpose Cartridge or going with the 6.5 x 39 Grendel for the standard troops. The 6.8 x 51 will not replace the 5.56 x 45 rifles in my opinion with all the disadvantages it has.

At least the military may get some better machine guns out of the deal. They will be able to carry more .338 Norma ammo over .50 BMG.
The 50 m2 is not carried its mounted. Infantry doesnot carry around a 50 cal machine gun around. I humped the pig around. No f#ing way would we just volunteer to drag the m2 around.
While similar in some aspects. They are totally different animals.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
The M2 is a workhorse and I doubt it is going anywhere. The M2 host a greater range of load outs ammunition wise than the 338 has or can match.
The .338 Norma machine gun is going to be carried by troops to replace the 7.62 x 51 M-240 machine guns? I thought the .338 Norma was meant to replace the mounted M-2 machine guns (on vehicles) as you can get more .338 Norma ammo over .50 BMG.

The 6.8 x 51 machine guns might replace some of the 7.62 x 51 machine guns.

Edit: I also heard the newer 6.8 x 51 and .338 Norma machine guns can fire on semi automatic or on full auto.

·
Administrator
24,479 Posts
The .338 Norma machine gun is going to be carried by troops to replace the 7.62 x 51 M-240 machine guns? I thought the .338 Norma was meant to replace the mounted M-2 machine guns (on vehicles) as you can get more .338 Norma ammo over .50 BMG.

The 6.8 x 51 machine guns might replace some of the 7.62 x 51 machine guns.

Edit: I also heard the newer 6.8 x 51 and .338 Norma machine guns can fire on semi automatic or on full auto.
Well you never really dump the MG in FA. You're either bumping it for a 1-2 punch or burst firing for a couple seconds. Even a hard mount with a T&E gets squirrelly running wide open.

·
I Stand With Talon
6,490 Posts
I thought the .338 Norma was meant to replace the mounted M-2 machine guns (on vehicles) as you can get more .338 Norma ammo over .50 BMG.
More does not equal better. The 50 has HE, Spent U, Incendiary and other specialty rounds that the 6.8 really does not lend itself to, that pretty well knocks it out of use as a 50 replacement in the M2.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
More does not equal better. The 50 has HE, Spent U, Incendiary and other specialty rounds that the 6.8 really does not lend itself to, that pretty well knocks it out of use as a 50 replacement in the M2.
I was saying it's possible for the .338 Norma Magnum machine guns to replace some of the M-2 .50 BMG guns. Not 6.8 x 51 over .50 BMG. This may not even happen though.

Additionally I heard Sig Sauer is going to release some of their long guns chambered in 7.62 x 51 to the common American citizens. We might get a rifle that is better than the 7.62 x 51 FN S.C.A.R. available to us. It is probably going to have a price tag of over $3,000 on it though.

·
Administrator
24,479 Posts
So you're basically operating on assumptions here.

·
Premium Member
35,752 Posts
I was saying it's possible for the .338 Norma Magnum machine guns to replace some of the M-2 .50 BMG guns.
Not really. What the M2 does, the .338 Norma Mag doesn’t.

EVERYTHING I read says the .338 is designed to replace various .30 cal MGs, to extend their capabilities. Period. Not to replace the M2.
Also, EVERYTHING I read says it is only intended for special forces. That could change in a decade or two, but I doubt it.

Lastly, no reason the Sig MCX Spear doesn’t show up on shelves, probably in .308, and maybe in the new 6.8....which none of us will be able to find, much less afford, for the first few years.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Are you talking about the Sig Cross. They are out I was holding one in a 6.5 today I think they are in the 1600 price range

101 - 119 of 119 Posts