Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i got around to fixing the stock for my universal this weekend. the wood came from the factory with a bad inculsion right at teh rcoil lug mount. i ended up drilling and doweling in two places in the wrist and using LOTS of gorilla glue and clamping ot get it fixed. after that the finish was **** poor from the factory so i sanded and refinshed with 2 coats of satin walnut stain and 2 coats of heavy duty indoor/outdoor polyurethane. the poly finish wasnt 100% but for a working gun im content. the buttplate was misisng and the screw hole was stripped out so i filled it with plastic wood and redrilled so the screw was in the correct place. i got the correct screw and nut for the recoil lug (also missing) and installed them. all the parts came from Numrich and all the stock finishing project supplies came from my favotie local mom and pop hardware store.

i also got the original owner to pony up the magazine as well.

wrist repairs

new buttplate

SW

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the green is actually a rustproof nylon coating developed by universal in 1969. as that time it was a 50$ option on a 125$ carbine so it was never very popular. universal dropped it from thier line in 1972. its actually very rare to find intact now.

SW

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
universal noted five colors in thier catatlouge but only three seem to exist outside it, leaf green (mine) OD green and gunmetal grey. there was a flat black and earth brown option in the 1972 catalouge but no one seems to have ever been able to find any.

SW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts